Lt. Commander
# 21
05-21-2010, 05:11 PM
At this point, I don't care who has cloak or not. I won't PvP in space (at the moment) and don't care as long as cloak doesn't screw up PvE balance. This is a game first and foremost.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The entry was published the exact same way in the STO novel. Which was released long before the AGT Galaxy was announced. Page 404 for those who have the book and want to doublecheck.
I couldn't find that page...
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-21-2010, 05:18 PM
My sadness knows no bounds now I will lock myself away and read Emily Platt and contemplate my eternal sorrow.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
The canon reason for Starfleet not having cloak(the treaty with the Romulans) is gone. The only question is whether or not it would unbalance PvP.
Despite the argument that this is false... it is quite true:

Timeline where the treaty exists = Pre "last Movie made"

In last movie -
(a) Spock and romulan go back in time, after destruction of Romulus
(b) attack on earth, and now Vulcan homeworld is supposed to be destroyed
(c) 2 spocks exist (new and old) and entire timeline is "Out the Window"

Therefore.... Feds should be able to have cloak.

It would actually balance PvP. Klingons should never have been able to get the same Science skills as Federation...that alone caused an imbalance in favor of Klingons. Lesser skills yes (cap at lvl I at BO LT, cap of lvl II at Cmr) combined with Cloak, vs. Feds with better science and no cloak. letting feds capture cloaking technology will simply balance the field.

If anyone doubts that an imbalance exists today, just look at the "end-Mission Scoreboard" in ANY PvP mission. Klingons always, ship vs ship, rake up more kills and points (setting aside side imbalance issues)

The real issue: the Klinks know they will be on the receiving end of "declaok-blast-recloak", and they are afraid of it.... Payback's a B.xxx, isn't it.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 910burns View Post
Despite the argument that this is false... it is quite true:

Timeline where the treaty exists = Pre "last Movie made"

In last movie -
(a) Spock and romulan go back in time, after destruction of Romulus
(b) attack on earth, and now Vulcan homeworld is supposed to be destroyed
(c) 2 spocks exist (new and old) and entire timeline is "Out the Window"

Therefore.... Feds should be able to have cloak.
The timeline that Old Spock/Nero came from continued to exist after they left, and STO takes place a few years later in that timeline. So what happened in the alternate timeline has no effect on STO. They are basically two different realities, like the mirror universe and the normal universe. Here is the graph I made a long time ago to explain this, before Cryptic copied it on the STO website :p
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
tripedal aliens
Where's my Edosian BO and/or Playable Edosian!!!

AREX LIVES!!!1!1!!one!!!
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Quote:
The timeline that Old Spock/Nero came from continued to exist after they left, and STO takes place a few years later in that timeline. So what happened in the alternate timeline has no effect on STO. They are basically two different realities, like the mirror universe and the normal universe.
Unfortunatly, no.

The entire "Nero showed us the way" theme in the Romulan encounters shows that this is not the case... very confusing and disjointed I know. The "continuity" is jumbled, some from Universe A (pre-back in time) and some from Universe B (Post Nero)... no good resolution.

Simple fact... Klingons will never want anyone else using "Cloak", and will argue against it. So long as they argue for equivilent Science, I will argue for Cloak. it's the only way to keep things in balance.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 910burns View Post
Unfortunatly, no.

The entire "Nero showed us the way" theme in the Romulan encounters shows that this is not the case... very confusing and disjointed I know. The "continuity" is jumbled, some from Universe A (pre-back in time) and some from Universe B (Post Nero)... no good resolution.

Simple fact... Klingons will never want anyone else using "Cloak", and will argue against it. So long as they argue for equivilent Science, I will argue for Cloak. it's the only way to keep things in balance.
Sorry, but you are mistaken. You see, BEFORE Nero got sucked into the Black hole he actually fought a battle against a Klingon fleet in the ORIGINAL timeline(which STO takes place in). This battle took place in the movie-prequel comic "Countdown"(and was also described in the "Path to 2409" series). So what the people in game are referring to is what Nero did BEFORE being sucked into the black hole. What he did afterward, in the alternate timeline, they have no idea about.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Quote:
The canon reason for Starfleet not having cloak(the treaty with the Romulans) is gone. The only question is whether or not it would unbalance PvP.
the treaty still stands because the star empire still exists. hell, the federation is even trying to help the RSE rebuild (while splinter factions plot the UFPs demise), though who knows if the feds are doing this out of sheer goodwill or as a way of saying sorry to the romulans for dicking around with the treaty.

edit : in regards to the whole "nero showed us the way" thing... if you wanna see some things that happened in the prime timeline involving nero, i recommend picking up Star Trek Countdown. it kinda further elaborates why Nero has such a raging hard-on for Spock.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mayhem
Where's my Edosian BO and/or Playable Edosian!!!

AREX LIVES!!!1!1!!one!!!
YESSSS!!!!! I vote for them next after Caitians!!!

As far as fed cloaks go, I say put it on the AGF Galaxy... then maybe a month or so down the road make a
Romulan-themed STF with a rare completion drop being a ship device-slot cloak.
Of course you would need some sort of stiff penalty for using it, that would make it less of a IWIN item.
And by rare _ I MEAN REALLY RARE_ What do you guys think?