Lt. Commander
# 101
05-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veazey View Post
Well, congratulations on the kid, Mr. Stahl.
Seconded - going to miss the guy as he was really up fronyt and came across as very commited to seeing the game improve, but familiy is what life is about and should always come first. I know he'll be back, but I think after the initial time at home to help with the new baby, he'll be catching some Zzzzzs at work too, once he's back.

Anyhow, congratulations again, and I hope everything works out well.
Lt. Commander
# 102
05-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTyrel View Post
Why for the love of god is work being done on a third faction when clearly one faction is completly unfinished and the other is full of holes and bugs...

Fix the game before you expand it Cryptic, or you'll just loose more people...

also the notes seems sub par to what im exspecting, alot of half arsed and unimportant information was posted to satisfy the masses of cryptic fanboys and fangirls ()

on the non faction missions: Basicaly couldnt be bothered to make decent Klingon or federation mission so just whent down the middle?

WTF is that supose to mean do you want to **** us off more?

Really this was the poorest sotg i've seen so far and you need to step up your game if you want to keep this game from dying...
fanboys and fangirls ? really ..... fair enough

im actually impressed you managed to take offence at the " everyone loves klingons " joke . and in fairness it was a joke. the fact that you took such deep offence at it says ... well something .

to me when i installed STO for the first time it was blatently obvious that for those of us who wanted to do lots of PVE feds was the go while for those people who enjoy PVP klingon was the way to go .i truely believed this was deliberate and still do . i for one am not sure what the big hurry to get klingon PVE is .sure it makes the game more " complete " but then again so does diplomatic missions , interiors etc . klingon PVE will come im sure in time . i sure hope you have the patience to still be around by then

to be honest your post seems to be the first that suggests anything but appreciation for the SOTG post . after all just like the state of the union address in the US its not meant to be a specific detailed step by step plan but more an indication of where the game is and where its headed . details im sure your aware come in engineering reports and patch details .

after your little fanboys dig you got a little aggressive ( understated as to be flame redardent ) may i suggest that if a game causes you this much anger and stresss it may be time to ...

just saying
Lt. Commander
# 103
05-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Hey new here, still working my way around the ship, less than a week old.
I love everything so far, the chat seems a little clunky, keep hitting r to respond to someone. LOL

I have played WOW, War, ****, and etc., this game has pvp to it, please tell me there will be more factions than two. I have read something about Romulan's being the next race, but forum posts are smoke and mirrors until something is confirmed by a Dev.

Can someone advise has more than two factions been confirmed by a Dev? Thanks and keep up the good work.

Sorry if I posted this in an Inappropriate thread, please move it, if it needs to go some where else. Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 104
05-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdere View Post
After season 2 you should say you are looking to make major changes and that we shouldn't expect anything for a while imo.

Don't bother with new races or extra pvp yet, sort out making the universe more immersive and have systems that are worth returning to for changing reasons please.

Scrap memory alpha and start from scratch. No one worth listening to is going to complain about losing their progress.

Please make this more star trek and less arcade game. Yes it is fun, but it's so shallow it has no replay factor to it.

Mini games should be added much later as a rest from the excitement, not a distraction from the boredom. Although it may not seem financially viable at this stage, I for one think you need to fully concentrate on major overhauls of what was rushed please.

Making more episodes is great, but it has to at least feel like a persistent world.

If it's somewhere we like to live we will be much more inclined to buy C-Store stuff for their cosmetic value.

Thanks
After season 2 they should stop all new development AND FIX EVERYTHING THEY CURRENTLY HAVE.
Lt. Commander
# 105
05-22-2010, 12:12 PM
While I like a lot of what was said here (minigames, more non- STF episodes, diplomacy, ship interiors, etc) some of the season 3 stuff has me worried. Specifically, the 3rd faction and UGC. While I'm a big supporter of UGC and absolutely loved the COH version, it took years before they implemented it and once it did come out there were some issues with it (or rather how it was used). I just want to make sure it's not like a lot of things around here and just thrown out to appease the masses, and fixed/updated later. A lot of the up coming balance changes have been criticized by many, and I don't think I've heard anything positive about any of the STFs.

As far as the 3rd faction goes, I'd wait to put that out in an actual expansion rather than just a season update. It gives me the feeling we're going to get that faction in the update with some content, and then every update thereafter has more content for that faction, rather than using that to update other issues. With it's own expansion, I feel it'd be "complete". In fact, since expansions are generally rather big maybe add two factions at the same time (both with full content, obviously). There's also the problem of the Klingons not being "finished". And seriously, the Borg as a playable faction? /facepalm

Looking forward to Season 2 for the most part, at this point a little worried about Season 3, but hopefully with more information that'll subside.

Also, as much as I love the NX (and loved ENT) I was more surprised to see the Ambassador was behind both it and the Enterprise-J (which btw, has even less business being here than the NX as 1) the E is still out there somewhere, and 2) it's from the 31st century, not the 25th).

One last thing, congrats dStahl.
Lt. Commander
# 106
05-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbasePrime
Starbases are by far the most important thing to me, followed by a more distant UGC.

I'm iffy on the UGC. Rarely is player generated content as good as what the studio can turn out - I think if the tools had more capability the designers would use it. As I said before, we already have unlimited missions in Exploration, we want more and expect the toolset to have the capabilities to give it to us. This also isn't a place for a baby-steps as once it comes out everyone will try it, and thousands of "junk" missions would so dilute the pool that it would take a long time to recover and discourage mission builders. Please get lots of feedback on what features and what missions people are wanting to do before you go down this path.
I think there's a couple important things that have to be done with UGC to make it workable.

The first is a *really* robust search system. I'm not talking "type a title, get a mission' or just 'sort by rating'

We need:

Checkboxes people can click for genre tags for example, so people know exactly what they're jumping into.

Another thing is a non-abusable rating system. Imo a Youtube style "Thumbs up/Thumbs down" - this is better than a deeper approach because it forces people to think in terms of "Did I have fun, or not?" rather than trying to act like movie critics.

Finally we need a "Follow Author" feature, so that if someone made an amazing mission, then you can follow that person and, when they put out another, you'll be notified. Much like novel browsing, if you find an author who did a really good job once, the chances they'll do so again are higher.

---

That said, my time with the COH architect system has taught me something about UGC:

While Sturgeon's Law holds true - 90% of everything is crap - the 10% of players who knuckle down and really turn out work because they're passionate about doing it can and will exceed the developers - sometimes by an astonishing margin.

This isn't because they're 'better' than the devs - but because they have all the time in the world, while the devs have deadlines. They also have a one-person vision that they can enact... while the developers have to create-by-comittee. The latter produces consistently 'pretty good' results; but rarely anything spectacular... the former is a crap shoot... but when it's good it can be mind-blowingly good.

Oh and there's also the fact that the players are more able to push boundaries. They still have to adhere to the T-rating; but players aren't risking customer's subscriptions by putting out a dark storyline, or one that's very far from traditional Trek - or even one that isn't Trek at all.

(This last bit is especially interesting because, recursively... it actually makes sense in-canon. Captain Proton, Wild West holodeck episode, I think there was a Beowulf episode... you get the idea.)

---

But as I said in my first post, UGC is a BIG undertaking that, if you're going to do it, has to be done right. It's something I feel would be best next year when a lot of the more 'ordinary' bugs are ironed out and the devs have had plenty of time to kick things around as to how they'd want to handle it. I don't want a system that's just exploration with custom text: I want as much control over my Episodes as devs have over there own - well within reason of course; but you know what I mean.

As for Starbases... I'm iffy on that one actually. There's some excellent possibilities as you note in your post.. but on the other hand; i'm going to assume these would be a Fleet affair - and for a lot of us our 'fleet' is 3 or 4 friends. We can't pump out resources/merits/whatever else is needed to build something designed to take a group of 50 awhile to complete.

I don't want to see STO focusing on features that like WoW raiding, only a small % of the population will ever actually see. Especially because it means Fleet Leaders would probably be the ones getting to do all the fun stuff, like actually building the station. That was the same mistake they made with Supergroup bases in City Of Heroes - they were expansive, awesome and fun...

IF you were the leader. If not... well at least the leader has someone to show off to?

I mean if you can think of a way to do it so that it's not useful only to large fleets and would be fun even for people on the lower rungs, have at it - but I'm skeptical.
Lt. Commander
# 107
05-22-2010, 12:18 PM
WOOT the possibility to have a BO fly next to my ship in season 3.. considering i brought up the idea about three and a half months ago.. and to see it now.. still thrilled. finally maybe i can get those other 5 BOs to do something other than just sit on my roster and look cool.

like get all 5 to man a second ship and be my wing.
Lt. Commander
# 108
05-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darias
fanboys and fangirls ? really ..... fair enough

im actually impressed you managed to take offence at the " everyone loves klingons " joke . and in fairness it was a joke. the fact that you took such deep offence at it says ... well something .

to me when i installed STO for the first time it was blatently obvious that for those of us who wanted to do lots of PVE feds was the go while for those people who enjoy PVP klingon was the way to go .i truely believed this was deliberate and still do . i for one am not sure what the big hurry to get klingon PVE is .sure it makes the game more " complete " but then again so does diplomatic missions , interiors etc . klingon PVE will come im sure in time . i sure hope you have the patience to still be around by then

to be honest your post seems to be the first that suggests anything but appreciation for the SOTG post . after all just like the state of the union address in the US its not meant to be a specific detailed step by step plan but more an indication of where the game is and where its headed . details im sure your aware come in engineering reports and patch details .

after your little fanboys dig you got a little aggressive ( understated as to be flame redardent ) may i suggest that if a game causes you this much anger and stresss it may be time to ...

just saying
Its not about the PvE, why does everyone just label that as the thing thats wrong with the klingons? Ship choices, Gear, Sector Space, Mission, Rewards, Everythign really is severly lacking on the klingon side...
Lt. Commander
# 109
05-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre9
After season 2 they should stop all new development AND FIX EVERYTHING THEY CURRENTLY HAVE.
Alright, let me state something that people seem to utterly forget time and time and time again:

It doesn't work that way.

Even if they put everything on hold; that'd be half or more of the dev team utterly unoccupied while bugs are fixed. They'd just be sitting around, doing nothing. Artists don't fix bugs*. Content teams only fix specific types of bugs, which in my experience over the last month are not really a problem**. - the people who DO fix bugs.. already are.

The issue isn't that they aren't trying to fix bugs; it's that some bugs are difficult to reproduce consistently, and without consistent reproduction it's difficult to nail down what's causing it. Solving a problem without knowing the source is not easy. Even if you do know the source sometimes it's difficult to get at without breaking something else.

Basically the point is: Not making more content and fixing bugs are two completely unrelated things. More content can be made at the same time bugs are fixed. The fact that a given bug that's bothering you hasn't been fixed yet probably means they haven't figured out how yet. It's not often as simple as "Oh, forgot to plug it in". (Or rather it is, but only for the bugs that are quick fixes - and no one remembers those; it's the really intractable bugs that everyone remembers.)

*Clipping issues on costume bits, maybe costume pieces not appearing at the tailor when they should; or for the environment team patchy terrain and misplaced rocks. These guys aren't going to be fixing the bugs that really annoy most people.

**Well there is the 'don't get the comm, can't do the Enemy Encounter mission' explore problem; but that might not be something content teams can actually fix because supposedly ti's related to the weapon drop bug; which is obviously NOT a content team fix.
Lt. Commander
# 110
05-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel
I mean if you can think of a way to do it so that it's not useful only to large fleets and would be fun even for people on the lower rungs, have at it - but I'm skeptical.
Skepticism is always a healthy thing! Thanks for bringing the issue up! I've posted requesting solutions here (figured a cross-post was warranted since the topic was a bit out-of-scope here. Hopefully a solution will be found.