Lt. Commander
# 11
05-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Nice SOTG thanks for the update I'm really liking this communication thing we have going on here

Qa'pla!
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Does the hitting Vice Admiral 1 mean new ship tier? I'm guessing it does.

Looking forward to the Breen! And to ship interiors!
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-21-2010, 06:43 PM
I have High Hopes for this game... I still stand by my Signature. "Lifetime Subscriber in Spirit!"
I will continue to Subscribe as long as my very, very, small disability check allows me to haha

However I won’t hold my hopes too high... I'm afraid they will be smashed too hard.

I am trying to stay Positive.
Especially since all THREE of the question I asked were answered in this "State of the Game".

As always I am extremely grateful to Craig Zinkievich and the Star Trek Online team for always being the most communicative DEV team I've ever had the pleasure to talk with.

Thanks Cryptic!

EDIT: I hope the new level cap doesn't mean my Mark X equipment I've worked so hard for will be obsolete now.
Although I'm pretty sure they will up the "Mark" to XIII or something. Total speculation.
Lt. Commander
# 14 Metaphor Overload
05-21-2010, 06:51 PM
All right, I'm going to be honest here (as if I don't already speak my mind too often for my own good) and my goal is to state my opinion clearly without coming off badly.

I, frankly, have no idea what to think about this.

While I am intrigued by new ideas for the game, I know that a good portion of them will not be as well thought out or executed as my hopes and dreams wish them to be.

Content is great, it really is, but this game is STILL buggy as all get out. There's continual context popups in the midst of combat, NPCs and baddies jumping around like Mario on Left for Dead's Adrenaline.

Please, I'm begging someone higher up in the Crpytic chain, give us a Season 1.9 that is dedicated solely to fixing all that's game breakingly wrong with the State of STO. The grouping systems, the sheer un-balance of PvE ground combat. It's like We got our one scoop of vanilla ice cream, and now they're just pouring chocolate syrup on it, hoping we don't notice the quickly melting tiny serving of frozen treat.

I'm not a hater and I've been trying to give STO more of a chance, but I've done the Big Dig twice now and both times the "gameplay" threatened to rip my soul from it's remaining tether: Infinite spawning bad guys in rediculous numbers, absurdly drawn out mission requirements, one of our team members even got screwed out of any sort of reward because they spent the whole time healing their teammates and not shooting.

I say again, Cryptic, please, please, PLEASE, stop with the chocolate sauce. Take a moment, look at the mess that's on the table, drive to the store, grab a whole new variety of ice cream and come back to us. Give us an ice cream feast. Then, when we're done with that, tell us you're working on the grocery list for the next feast.

Pace it out. You can't fix a broken leg with a band aid. Please fix the game first and add to it later. It can't wait anymore.

I hope this is thought out enough.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 15 Zinc Read This Post Please!
05-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Executive Producer Craig Zinkievich checks in with this month's state of the game.

Link to the news article.
All sounds very good, but I can't figure out why you only are going to Vice Admiral 1, why not just set the rank to Fleet Admiral and just get it over with? That way there is no sitting at a Admirals rank forever unless its the highest Admiral rank......I think it makes sense?

I especially like rotating my boffs I would like to have a crew I can rotate through ground / space missions, so I have no more nameless ensign Rickys on my ship. I would like to be able to have 25 crew members and any awarded crew would be in addition to the 25, as a reward.(30 max)

I also like the idea of being in command of a fleet of my boffs in other ships in my inventory. they could have simple commands similar to the boffs ground commands.

Thank you and I am very impressed with you briefing!
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Lots of stuff I want on that list! July seems so far away, suddenly
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Sweet that we'll be clashing with the Breen, but we also need those Tholians, STAT!
Lt. Commander
# 18 Cool!
05-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
All sounds very good, but I can't figure out why you only are going to Vice Admiral 1, why not just set the rank to Fleet Admiral and just get it over with? That way there is no sitting at a Admirals rank forever unless its the highest Admiral rank......I think it makes sense?
Most likely reason could be their desire to create new ships for each tier. But instead of letting you level up all the way and then bring the ships in later, they'll add tiers as the ships are completed. But that is just my WAG.

Like the sound of the rest of it. Just hit Captain 6 tonight, so I know it'll be a while before I max out.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Quote:
We’re also looking at adding user-generated content to the game. How would you rank that against a persistent sector PvP game? Against Fleet Starbases? Being able to “Alt- your BOff” and call him to fly along side of you?

They're all good features that I hope would eventually make it into the game. I would personally rate them as follows.

1. Persistent Sector PvP
2. User-generated content.
3. Fleet Starbases
4. Alt-your BOff

Persistent Sector PvP would be my highest priority of the choices. The game has 2 existing factions, but they have no real reason to want to do battle against each other, other than for the hell of it. Give us something like Dark Age of Camelot had in its day and players will feel insulted when the opposing faction takes a system, starbase, or a planet (ground). They'll have a reason to join in on the fun when they get word the opposing faction just took another system. Not only will you get the faction vs faction going again, but you just created stuff to do at the endgame levels.

User-generated content I can wait a bit for, simply because I want it done right. Not only is it important to create deep tools for the player to use to create missions, it's also important that the system is balanced correctly. Give it to much power, it will be exploited. Give it to little, people will see it as a waste of time.

Fleet Starbases would be cool, but it's just fluff. With that said, it's probably the easiest of the options to put in since the existing art is already in the game and it would likely use the same instancing that ship bridges use to create your own "base".

Alt-your BOff is the first I'm hearing of it, sounds interesting, but I think I would rather see a system where you can take direct control of your BOff, including being able to "chat" as them. But that's more of a fluff wish for RPing with others that are grouped with you and your BOff's.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Ahh, that makes me feel good. ty zinc