Lt. Commander
# 1 Contact dialog suppression
05-21-2010, 07:29 PM
(From Tribble updates)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami_Inferno
  • If the player has a hidden contact dialog while in the away team picker, it will now show up when the away team picker is closed.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented players from getting feedback about their away team changes if a contact dialog tried to pop up while the away team picker was open.
This sounds like it's awfully close to a feature I've been wanting for a while, so I'll take this opportunity to describe it:

Instead of popping up contact dialogs immediately, play one of the familiar hailing tones, show a status message, and an icon/button in one of the status areas indicating that somebody is hailing you. Open the contact dialog when the player clicks on the button.

It's not just more immersive (which it is), it's also far less annoying. This is a pretty frantic game. You are always doing something. There is never a moment when I want a surprising window to appear in front of me. It is always an interruption. Sometimes it interrupts when you're typing into the chat pane, and that goes horribly wrong.

This should be pretty easy to implement. If you do it as a slight revamp of the "hail starfleet" button, it doesn't even need new art. Can we get this on the objectives for season 2?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-26-2010, 05:17 PM
This sounds like a simple to implement idea - and it would be a lot less annoying than having my Tactical Officer pop up and tell me there are more enemy ships when I am already shooting at them...

This is a great idea!