Lt. Commander
# 11
05-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestkirk View Post
I cannot condone any To****a laptop or product.
I was involved in a class action where the laptop became a doorstop and all the judge did is have the warranties renewed. My laptop fried 6 times in 2 years and I paid 1500 bucks and Toshiba had the worst service and when it came down to admitting the laptop was a problem they refused too.

After that I no longer will recommend To****a to anyone. They make the worst quality product out of any manufacturer I've ever seen.
Same here. my first laptop was a Toshiba. I payed for the extended warranty, thing died two days after the normal warranty expired, ( lighting struck a power line right out side the house I was out, it fried the power strip, and my laptop. ) and when I called they could not find my extended warranty. I left it alone when I used the warranty from the power strip to replace it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-22-2010, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
Same here. my first laptop was a Toshiba. I payed for the extended warranty, thing died two days after the normal warranty expired, ( lighting struck a power line right out side the house I was out, it fried the power strip, and my laptop. ) and when I called they could not find my extended warranty. I left it alone when I used the warranty from the power strip to replace it.
I must have had a rare one. I had a toshiba and the thing lasted for years. It still works to this day save I had to replace the keyboard. (Gave it to my kids years ago)
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
I must have had a rare one. I had a toshiba and the thing lasted for years. It still works to this day save I had to replace the keyboard. (Gave it to my kids years ago)
it was mostly a freak accident, it is rare for lighting to strike the line going right up to the house. ( unlike where I live, the house I was had had a wire going form the side of the house to the pole. ) so everything was just right for a one in a million accident. but what made me mad was the warranty issue.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-22-2010, 01:04 AM
I really enjoy playing on my alienware m11x. I can play sto on max, but I get a few slowdowns when I do that, so i keep it on recommended and it looks very good and plays very smooth. I also play wow and star craft 2 beta on ultra with no slowdowns.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-22-2010, 01:52 AM
I brought the Sony vaio VPCCW2S1E/R about 3 months ago. I havnt been disappointed, runs STO perfectly on highest settings.

Be careful if your in the US. As i know the US version of this laptop has a less able graphics chipset, the 310m i think....
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Whilst people have mentioned good gaming laptops id just like to mention that if you dont need a laptop then dont get one. For the price of a gaming laptop that can run STO on highest settings you could build a monster desktop PC that could run every game on max settings.

Of course its your preference im just saying laptops cost way more and perform way less.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-22-2010, 05:54 AM
I personally use an ASUS laptop with a discrete GeForce 9700m GT card.

I get respectable framerates @ 1680x1050 (with x2 or x4 AA).

The trick is disabling certain feature.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-22-2010, 08:23 AM
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Batta...aming_Notebook

You can turn the settings up all the way with this one. You won't need a new computer for quite some time if you get this. It's customizable too.

Case
Battalion 101 LX-797 17" WSXGA 1680x1050 Widescreen LCD TFT Notebook w/ Li-ion battery, Universal AC Power Adapter - Original Metallic Black
Processor
Intel® Core™ i5-520M Mobile Processor (2x 2.40GHz/3MB L3 Cache)
Memory
4GB [2GB x 2] 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM [Notebook Memory] - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card
Mobility DDR5 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5870 PCI-Express 3D Video
Primary Hard Drive
500 GB 5400rpm Serial-ATA Super Slim Notebook Hard Drive
Data Hard Drive
None
Optical Drive
8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 16x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [LX-797]
Flash Media Reader/Writer
Built-in 4-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Notebook]
Sound Card
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card
Built-in 10/100/1000 Network LAN [Notebook]
Fax Modem
Built-in 56K V.92 Fax Modem [Notebook]
IEEE-1394 Fire Wire Card
Built-in 1x IEEE-1394 Firewire Port [Notebook]
Internal Wireless Network Adapter
MSI MN11BGN 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi Link
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) - 64-Bit
USB 2.0 Accessories
Built-in 4x USB 2.0 Ports [Notebook]
Power Protection
None
Carrying Case
Free Deluxe Carrying Case
Headset
None
MP3/MP4 Player
None
Video Camera
Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixels Digital Web Video Camera
LCD Pixel Protection
None
Warranty
Standard Warranty Service - Standard One(1) Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support
Rush Service
Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-22-2010, 08:41 AM
I play on my Dell XPS M1730 --1920x1200 screen T9300@2.5ghz 2x9800m GT SLI 4gb ram --added a bluray drive and 2x 640 GB HD myself ---- Never do the memory and HD upgrades on the site - buy a base model with the processor and videocards you want and do your own memory and drive upgrades-- it is cheaper and you end up with spare parts in case of problems. I have the 160gb drive, 2 1gb ram sticks and the RW DVD it came with on a shelf here by the desk.

The XPS laptops were great, but Dell isn't making them any more- the Alienware M17 is the present equivalent and they are very nice machines.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-22-2010, 09:36 AM
buy a netbook for about 100 quid and then spend the rest on a monster home machine,

THEN get really fast broadband for home machine and netbook, then get citrix install so you can link up to your home PC from your netbook. .

anyways i get a bit of a cringe when folks say "gaming laptop" its like saying "wordprocessor PS3", they just dont go together.

I once spent a load on a laptop and then regretted it 3 months later when it was out of date with no means to upgrade it.

Work or Gaming, Laptop is definatly for work. If you want on the move gaming get a psp or a ds