Lt. Commander
# 21
05-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awarkle View Post
buy a netbook for about 100 quid and then spend the rest on a monster home machine,

THEN get really fast broadband for home machine and netbook, then get citrix install so you can link up to your home PC from your netbook. .

anyways i get a bit of a cringe when folks say "gaming laptop" its like saying "wordprocessor PS3", they just dont go together.

I once spent a load on a laptop and then regretted it 3 months later when it was out of date with no means to upgrade it.

Work or Gaming, Laptop is definatly for work. If you want on the move gaming get a psp or a ds
I disagree, there ARE gaming laptops. People that don't know how to buy what they need end up getting laptops that aren't capable of doing what they want them to do. Educating oneself about discrete video cards and processor power are neccessary when buying laptops. You go into buying a laptop knowing that there are limited upgrades you can do to it, so research is important.

A laptop with an SLI setup like mine is for nothing other than gaming, you be foolish to buy something like that to do only wordprocessing. You don't buy a 400 buck laptop and think you are going to use it for any real games. Net books are useless for gameing except for few high end models like the m11 from alienware.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkmeijer View Post
I really enjoy playing on my alienware m11x. I can play sto on max, but I get a few slowdowns when I do that, so i keep it on recommended and it looks very good and plays very smooth. I also play wow and star craft 2 beta on ultra with no slowdowns.
what are your specs, please?
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzy
what are your specs, please?

M11 link below
http://www.dell.com/content/products...n&s=dhs&~ck=mn
Lt. Commander
# 24 laptop
05-22-2010, 04:50 PM
If u do not need a laptop donot get one. Get the regular tower type. I use a HP dv7-2185dx Enertainment Notebook with 6 gigs of ram, 500 gigs of memeroy, ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphics and quad processor and it works really well on all games and streaming movies. It does more than i am able to do. But somtimes it does get warm. How much can u spend is the question. hope this helps.