Lt. Commander
# 1 [Suggestion] STF Scoreboards
05-22-2010, 04:37 AM
Dear Cryptic, is it possible to put in a scoreboard (just like in PvP) for STFs? With separate stats for ground and space parts, showing the scores for a current team doing a current STF, and maybe total stats from all the STFs for current character - maybe as a part of Accolade system.

I was thinking about this from the time first STF was released, initially because I was interested how much I contributed to my team's success (or failure). Afterwards, I thought that it could also be a useful tool to identify my fleet's members (people with whom I'm doing the most of my STFs) who are doing a fantastic job, thus rewarding them with a promotions, items, credits etc, or a less effective members who need help with advices, better gear, guidance and similar.

Also, it could be used after the STF's completion to check who was the best in a team and accordingly distribute loot (now, if only purples were not Bind on Pickup...), instead of sometimes clumsy ingame loot systems.

Since the mechanic for such scoreboard already exists in PvPs, I imagine it wouldn't be so complicated to integrate it into STFs.

Thanks for the fantastic job so far.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Shameless selfbump. It's really a cool idea, when you think about it...
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-24-2010, 05:40 AM
I'm generally against these things because they aren't exactly relevant. As it is, you might do the most damage but be the Least Valuable Player in the STF because you constantly pulled 2 nodes of Borg at a time, or never bothered to pay attention when you got hit by Rebecca's blue circle, causing repeated team wipes.

Scoreboards and stats in general just don't tell you anything useful when there are important things like teamwork and strategy that can't be measured effectively (and unfortunately, how well you exploit the STFs too).

Honestly, in and of themselves, I have no problem with the scoreboards, but considering how easily people misinterpret that information, I think its a bad idea and would lead to mindless elitism. Its like those brain surgeons who constantly went on and on about Xfire statistics, numbers which are entirely meaningless and have zero value to any discussion.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-24-2010, 06:10 AM
Yeah.. no. I really don't se how this would contribute to STO. maybe it would contribute to someone's epeen, but not much else.

This game is supposed to be a community oriented world. There are people already complaining that it does not feel MMO enough. a "score board" of PvP leader board would make that even worse. I would be more of a proponent to some kind of shifting war state that shows how one faction is doing in pvp compared to another as a way of "keeping score" than individual accounting of player "ability".
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-24-2010, 07:50 AM
You're missing the point guys. I don't need it as an ego trip, I already know that I'm the best DPSer in my fleet however I agree with Foxrocks that DPS is not the only measure of effectiveness.
However it could motivate lesser skilled players to respec/rethink their tactics and try to score among the top.

What I'd like to do with it is to assess the general level of competitivness of every team member and identify any weak points (like a Sci player with low healing score), and since I'm only playing STFs with my fleet, help and advice the less profficient members. I'd like to help all my fleet members, however without the exact numbers I can't identify them.

I see it as an effective team tool for improving the immersion, motivation but also general skill level of any weaker players.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Calidor View Post
You're missing the point guys. I don't need it as an ego trip, I already know that I'm the best DPSer in my fleet however I agree with Foxrocks that DPS is not the only measure of effectiveness.
However it could motivate lesser skilled players to respec/rethink their tactics and try to score among the top.

What I'd like to do with it is to assess the general level of competitivness of every team member and identify any weak points (like a Sci player with low healing score), and since I'm only playing STFs with my fleet, help and advice the less profficient members. I'd like to help all my fleet members, however without the exact numbers I can't identify them.

I see it as an effective team tool for improving the immersion, motivation but also general skill level of any weaker players.
So your talking more of going some kind of parsing in teams, not in the community. I'm not sure Cryptic will be up to doing something like that. However, there are plenty of people out there who are interested in this kind of thing that would, and may already be, putting together a third-party program that would do what I think you want it to. All you really have to do is wait.

Keep your eye out for Logitech G13 and G15 keyboard applications. That is the most likely place it will show up first.

if you are not talking about parsing, then I am absolutely against what you propose. Adamantly against, even. I do not appreceate any system that passively or actively tells me how people should play. Such systems go a lino way to uinstetuting the trinity. STO is not a trinity game. A low healing score for a science officer dos not mean that officer is a bad one. To limit choices based on preconceived notions ot propriety is a very bad move.

I have a science officer that never heals, ever. It is an offensive debuffer. Does that mean that toon is a bad toon. Hell no. In fact, generally when I am on a tam on the ground or in space, no one needs healing because of the offensive debuffing.

Score boards only server to reduce people to numeric values even further than they already are. That kind of thing always harms more than it helps IRL or in a game.