Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
in the latest state of game, craig mentions polls coming down the line, where by asking, which do you want, player generated content, persistent sector pvp, fleet starbases.

i have no urge to play architect entertainment sto style, and fleet starbases are neither here nor there, you got one, then what?

so lets make sure to vote for the pvp sector. hopefully it means some sort of territorial thing and not just a sector to fly around in and bump into people to drag them into pvp.

been wondering what some musts are.

id like to see all ships have a use. and since sto doesnt have ship building ship/loss there would have to be some penalty system to get players to use smaller tier ships.

I figure that based on some factor to be decided, you could have a set of resource points. Each time you die, those resource points are depleted, and if you drop below a certain threshold, you cannot fly the latest tier ship. It encourages staying alive, and adds that edge to it.

so lets say you have 10k points. If you die in tier 5 you lose 500 points, and the penalty is incrementally lower per tier, so dying in a tier 1 ship loses only 100 points.

if you go below 8000 points you are restricted to tier 4 and below. below 2000 you are restricted to tier 1.

now you can accumalate points by completing objectives. attacking and taking over an enemy starbase, destroying an enemy ship, and other support objectives and not only combat objectives, because if only combat objectives gave you points, then it would be hard to get the points needed to get back to tier 5 if all you have is a teir 1 ship.

this way, all ships will have a use, you'll have a reason not to zerg suicide, and you'll have a reason to perform other supportive non combat roles to get back points.

as for the sector pvp, i guess the persistent sector/sectors could have a number of planets which provide different resources. lets see each planet has its own garrison in addiiton to any defense players mount. So if you attack a planet not protected by a player fleet, the planets garrison comes out, and while a difficult garrison to beat, is doable with proper tactics.

then a 24hr countdown could start in which the planet is not able to be attacked, and when the countdown is over a final battle over the planet takes place between the factions and whoever wins then controls the planet.

lets say also that there are ways to manage the planet to build it up. if you are familiar with darkspace a small space mmo, you could open a planetary interaction window where you see a picture of the planet and then you have a build tree to build various structures on the planet.

so the more you developed the planet, the more resources it provided and the better AI defenses it has.

this way one ship cant take over a planet because it has defenses based on how well developed it is.
but a task force is needed.

the planet building wasnt complicated either, you just selected a structure and clicked on the planet which you could rotate up down left or right and after a set of time passed, it was built. and it had a coherent build tree, like power plants, fighter base, etc etc...
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Eve Online is that way ->
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-22-2010, 09:20 AM
not even remotely similar to eve online.

who wants to waste all that time in eve online?

spending hours moving ships and modules and all that crap?

thats why i play sto, and a persistent pvp sector can work and alot of people want it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-22-2010, 10:08 AM
i "think" that it should be a large zone with small space sectors. Within each space sector there should be a hold and capture point either defendable by PvE "fleets" (and make those elite ones) or players fleets with star bases. Think about the Global Agenda open PvP zone with all the small sectors.....
The difficult part is, we fly ships at warp speed, so you can just skip sector 1, 2, and end up in 4. So you can get chomps of space with different factions occupying it. Thats just the layout. The mechanics, well, that can be so many things, from a capture/hold state of 15 minutes till a PvE fleet arrives and builds a star base adn locks the sector for a certain time, like 1 hour or so.

The end result must be, the complete zone captured by 1 faction... and then what ?? Bonus to faction ? Resources ? advanged technology ? I dunno, but is does have to have a purpose, bc the war is won by a faction. Also, this should take several days, if not weeks to complete and is more then just PvP, diplomatics and alliances should make part of it (how about the KDF houses ? thay can claim for their house ? read a faction within a faction....??)

What also could be fun is triggered events where some sectors are invaded and captured by the Undine or Borg. Thats a piece of PvE that can be implented to provide non PvPers some PvE and give them a change to PvP also instead of a arena....

just some wild idea's
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Laid out some ideas here:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=154763

But the gist is to turn the Eta Iridani sector block into an open PvP zone. (Move the Fed PvE mission at Donatu to another sector.)

Fleets could gather resources and make supply runs to build/reinforce stations, systems would be protected by said fleet stations, and could incorporate Capture the Flag style gameplay both on stations and down on planets.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Sorry i disagree with the ship tier idea. Number one it complicates a system and number two it might drive players away. I think you need to allow as many players as possible in the zones at mixed tier. This is more likely going to become a group effort(fleets or teams working together). You have a chose to enter the zone and take part. if a player is unhappy at a current level then they will have to level up.

I also disagree in lock downs. I think you should be able to retake a objective or system(Space stations,ship docks, mining facilities,nebula's, planets, moons, colonies, and so on). what we do agree on is some NPC defenses. I think that should be a big part of the objective, taking on the NPC as that will help balance maps. Once you have destroyed your objective and held your ground for a time. your NPC's spawn and your fraction gains control. you can stay and hold position or you can move on to the next objective. We need a mixed of space and ground objectives. And sometimes both in the same instances. if theirs a lot of players playing the zone and you lock them down then players will lost instance they could have played. you will take a large zone and make it smaller. I would think you would want to spread the player base across the zone(seeing battles taking place all over the sector block, losing and retaking systems).

Right now eda eridani sector block has three sector(aldebaen, donatu, archanis ). Aldebaen could be fed controlled space, Archanis could be Klingon controlled space, and donatu chould be neutral. All sectors would need many systems and objectives(Some objective that affect the sector). All objective or instance on the sector map can taken and controlled and retaken. Now my suggestion for engaging players in sector space. I would suggest only allowing players to engage behind enemy lines. in this case, a fed could only engage a klingon player if they enter the aldebaen sector and a klingon player could only engage a fed if they entered the archanis sector(of course this is to defend your own sector and to engage enemy in your sector).This could make the push into enemy territory much more difficult and you could limited the number of player getting ganked with the flagging of player for PvP. Once you enter an enemy territory you are flagged for PvP but if you are in your own territory you are not flagged for PvP. This way you can only attack in one sector out of three. This would limit ganking and you would have a better balance of the sector( Basically to protect the lower tier players). And when a new fraction is added, you could enlarge the sector for a larger war.

It just my opinion. we all have a different idea of what it should look like. I am looking for a big war not a quick war. I do not want quick objectives, i want a sector that we can play long term (immersing and persistent PvP).
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-23-2010, 02:12 PM
This game have failed bigtime on PVP. I se no sign the Cryptic will ever maka a real pvp sector.
When you se the lack of work there is to create new pvp maps, players are sick and tired of salvage and cracked planet and mine. A huge pvp sector is something this game should have had from the start.
All players who pvp agree on that, and we havent heard anything that tells us they are working on this.

In two years when they finally make this happend everybody will be playing TOR, were there will be open pvp.
And yes this is something i trully belive will be the case, so many of us have been trying to get answears on this on this forum. And writing about how much we want a huge open pvp secor in this game, but as i said i dont think this will be the case. To play those few maps over and over again is borring as h***.

I know the pve heroes only care about crafting and content that has nothing to do with playing agains real players, but pvp players are a huge part of any MMO community and without any real pvp its bye bye. But hey by all means dont listen to me, will see in a year ...
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyyy View Post
This game have failed bigtime on PVP. I se no sign the Cryptic will ever maka a real pvp sector.
When you se the lack of work there is to create new pvp maps, players are sick and tired of salvage and cracked planet and mine. A huge pvp sector is something this game should have had from the start.
All players who pvp agree on that, and we havent heard anything that tells us they are working on this.

In two years when they finally make this happend everybody will be playing TOR, were there will be open pvp.
And yes this is something i trully belive will be the case, so many of us have been trying to get answears on this on this forum. And writing about how much we want a huge open pvp secor in this game, but as i said i dont think this will be the case. To play those few maps over and over again is borring as h***.

I know the pve heroes only care about crafting and content that has nothing to do with playing agains real players, but pvp players are a huge part of any MMO community and without any real pvp its by by. But hey by all means dont listen to me, will see in a year ...
Actually, it's been mentioned by both Jack and Craig, in separate statements. Jack mentioned it in terms of it being something that he wants to see, and Craig in reference to features that we want.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-24-2010, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjiru View Post
Actually, it's been mentioned by both Jack and Craig, in separate statements. Jack mentioned it in terms of it being something that he wants to see, and Craig in reference to features that we want.
Yes i heard that to. But they speak of it like its not a priority at all. And it sounds like it somthing they will maybe put in the game next year. And i'm saying by then it will be to late. Making missions and content for pve players are easy. Making good content for pvp players are harder, if they fail on that then you have a big pvp community that has nothing to do, why they cant se this i dont understand.

Going ingame now to do my daily with my Klingon, after that what i'm i gonna do.Just sit in sector space and do nothing like we do all day. Maybe pvp alittle on those 2-3 maps we are borred off.
How do they think the pvp players will feel in 2 month from now, forget about it. And they think will be waithing years for a real huge pvp sector with fun for the whole family were lots of players can clash together, knowing cryptic it would't be more then 5 players in every instance witch make real pvp pointless.

I may be pessimistic buy hey its not like we have any real pvp in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-24-2010, 06:58 AM
I would like to see a persistant PvP zone(s) in game as a form of exploration, Strategic resources conflict and as a form of Wild space.

1) I would love to be able to explore unknown-charted areas of space in the game and have the % chance of them to be inhabited by other PvP players or factions. I guess a form of acceptance (yes/no) before entering the unknown system could be put into effect to keep down the cries of "I got ganked while doing exploration missions" or possibly just label them like the PvP systems are in the game now, so non-pvp players could avoid them.

2) A Nuetral Zone that comprises its own sector block with open PvP, faction controlled safe zones and faction controlled starbases.

3) WildSpace that consists of or ties into the Exploration zones and that allows pvp as per the permissio of said players.