Lt. Commander
i caught a virus the other night and took it all my other programs work fine click on sto and co and i get that message . did a uninstall on sto "cries" start it up to get it patched again "program cannt display this webpage .ive look on the web cannt find anything to help .. can some1 plz help me
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-22-2010, 07:28 PM
The main cause of this is something wrong with the MSHTML. The only way to fix it is besure IE browser is working properly.

Besure the IE borwser is not set to work offline
make sure the internet options for the IE browser does not have use proxy server option set in the lan settings

You may nee to update IE to fix problems or download and use hijackthis to see if some plugin or something has not hijacked your browser.

The launcher uses IE components even if you use a different browser.

Also make sure the startrekonline.exe and the gameclient.ex are set to run as admin if you are using vista or win7. and they are allowed by your firewall and antivirus program.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-22-2010, 07:29 PM
I am getting the same error - "This program can not display the web page...". I have not had any virus problems, but yours is the only post I can find on either the STO or CO forums mentioning login problems.

I found that if I bypass the launcher and run GameClient.exe from either \Star Trek Online\Live\ or \Champions Online\Live, the game client launches and I can get as far as the login prompt, but when I try to sign in I just get "Connecting to account server" for a minute, then a message that the connection timed out.

I also tried reinstalling (though I did not uninstall first), but I found that almost the first thing the installer does is to launch the same game launcher which is failing to load.

Does anyone know the IP address of the account server, so I can try to ping it?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-22-2010, 07:36 PM
you can not bypass the launcher as it send needed login information to the game client. The game server use ports 7000-7500 and ip ranges of 208.94.184.0 to 208.95.185.256
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks Pegasus. I did not think that bypassing the launcher would work, but I wondered if the fact that trying to sign in that way led to the timeout error message meant anything. I see now that it's unrelated.

You are right about the launcher problem being IE related. I get the same error when I try to load any address in IE. It is not in offline mode, and the only installed add-ons are Flash, Sun Java, a few XML related plugins published by Microsoft, and Silverlight.

What really bugs me is that if I sign in to an alternate user account on the same machine, IE loads with no problems - and as far as I can tell is configured exactly the same way as it is under this user account. I can also launch and sign in to the games with no problems when using that other account. Even better, if I use "run as a different user" on the game launcher while signed in to the original user account (and run it as the secondary account), I can sign in that way with no problems.

I guess I'll need to figure out what is wrong with IE on my main account sometime soon, but not tonight.

Thanks again.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-22-2010, 09:08 PM
yeah im still lost here too
nothing is helping
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Read up on HijackThis and use to scan for addons and BHOs. There is probably a nasty one that is interfering with the launcher. Beware that HijackThis is not a simple tool</disclaimer>
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-22-2010, 09:17 PM
ty peg for helping ..any1 else having this prob go into ur IE and reset to default this will fix the prob

ty again for all who tried to help
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-23-2010, 04:11 AM
Ah ha! I must have had some kind of malware infection after all, because something set IE to use a proxy server running from the localhost address.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5555

cassidie - coderanger is right about HijackThis not being a simple tool, but if your problem is identical to mine, you can fix it by doing this:

1. Download and run the Executable file for HijackThis 2.0.4 from http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/.

2. Select "Do a system scan and save a logfile".

3. Look for a line similar or identical to the one listed above in the scan results. If it is there, check it and click "Fix checked".

If you do not see the same line in the scan results for your computer, then refer again to the bit about HijackThis not being a simple tool. I would advise not doing anything else with it unless you understand exactly what it is doing. There is some documentation available on the download page and here. In particular, see the tutorials linked to in the lower right corner of that last page.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-19-2010, 12:54 PM
that worked for me thanx