Lt. Commander
# 11
05-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Like they destroyed Champions by making it the opposite of suck since launch?
Dont know about that,haven't played it yet...so i cant actually make a comment on that,What i can say is that bassed of what i read on some forums and blogs and reviews,and hear from some fleet members that actually played it until Star Online launched is that it sucked,and still sucks and the mission structure is the same in star online,or better yet...the missions structure in star online is the same as in CO,but CO is far more enjoyable.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bew_archer View Post
Dont know about that,haven't played it yet...so i cant actually make a comment on that,What i can say is that bassed of what i read on some forums and blogs and reviews,and hear from some fleet members that actually played it until Star Online launched is that it sucked,and still sucks and the mission structure is the same in star online,or better yet...the missions structure in star online is the same as in CO,but CO is far more enjoyable.
Not even close.

Champions has more lateral choices for development (different paths to reach cap) and huge, outdoor instances where you have dozens of missions on one "map" instead of the claustrophobia in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Not gonna happen.....ever.

Theres not a single MMO in the history of gaming that has switched to an entirely different engine and remade 90% of the game AFTER LAUNCH.

So yeah, maybe in a future Trek game, but never in STO, sorry.
i dont know about that,but i think SWG actually tried that,i'm not sure if it is the same engine they used PreCU or not...but after the NGE it felt like it wasn't the same engine
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Quote:
i dont know about that,but i think SWG actually tried that,i'm not sure if it is the same engine they used PreCU or not...but after the NGE it felt like it wasn't the same engine
It is the same engine - they just changed the mechanisms for ground combat and locked players into narrowly defined class roles.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Not even close.

Champions has more lateral choices for development (different paths to reach cap) and huge, outdoor instances where you have dozens of missions on one "map" instead of the claustrophobia in STO.
Like i said,i didn't play it,so my opinion is based on what i hear and read,but everyone says that it is wayyyy better then Star Online,even the "boss" fights.
And yes...the Shoe box environment in StarOnline is just stupid,space should be BLACK and HUGE!!! and not have lollypop planets.
I really would like to meet with the guy that came up with that concept...i would give him the biggest dush in the universe award and a big "i am stupid" stamp right on the forehead.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Like i said,i didn't play it,so my opinion is based on what i hear and read,but everyone says that it is wayyyy better then Star Online,even the "boss" fights.
And yes...the Shoe box environment in StarOnline is just stupid,space should be BLACK and HUGE!!! and not have lollypop planets.
I really would like to meet with the guy that came up with that concept...i would give him the biggest dush in the universe award and a big "i am stupid" stamp right on the forehead.
Well, black and huge have considerable drawbacks as well.

It's lonely and easy to ge lost (which is why they came up with sector space).

I completely agree with you that space instances in the game (and even ground instances) should be made larger with multiple objectives in a huge system.

Check out the link in my signature (Explore the System Proposal) for more information.

EDIT: disregard any embarrassing and unintended double entendre in my first sentence. I mean space being black and huge.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Well, black and huge have considerable drawbacks as well.

EDIT: disregard any embarrassing and unintended double entendre in my first sentence. I mean space being black and huge.
That was funny...i loled....
And how bad is it that i have more fun in the forums than in StarOnline....
Ps:checking your link
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Quote:
That was funny...i loled....
And how bad is it that i have more fun in the forums than in StarOnline....
Ps:checking your link
As a precaution, the system space maps suggested in the proposal are just HUGE space missions instances with multiple objectives at once (like a zone in WoW - rather than STO's micro mission content).

It'd increase the size and amount of stuff to do in a system.

you can read the community ideas (and feedback) compiled in these GoogleDocs presentations:
Explore the System Proposal
Revisit the System Proposal
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-23-2010, 07:43 AM
I dont care what anyone says, i know i am right without a doubt about this one.

by the time he finishes that game, his technology will look like a 2d side scroller.

you cant brag about tech demos, and that is all infinity is, 100 tech demos. its been in development 8 years or more, and yeah so he's one person, great for him, but hes not going to put out any mmo with that.

hell you even have seamless planetary entry and exit in a game called evochron: legends

look it up if you dont belive me and try it yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Champions Online uses the type of quest structure that's present in games like...well, World of ********. Everquest. That kind of model. You have NPC quest givers you must visit in person to start and end quests. Most quest activity takes place on a large open world map, which means other players may be competing with you for the same spawns.

In Star Trek Online, you can get quests from a menu - you do not need to physically visit NPCs. All combat takes place within instanced locations. This is more like Cryptic's first game, City of Heroes.

Here's the thing. While what Champions has feels more like an MMO, it's actually bad for storytelling. Most content in Champions boils down to 'Go to location X' and 'Kill Y number of enemies'. Or 'Loot X number of item drops from NPC corpses'. This is bog standard MMO fare. It gets boring real fast.

Star Trek Online has fewer quests overall, but the story and dialogue in each are more fully fleshed out. The instanced locations let the environment vary more, and the developers can get more creative with spawns, scripted events, and mission mechanics.

There are pros and cons to both approaches. It is possible to compromise - Champions does have some Star Trek Online-style instanced missions. But very few. Note that these instanced missions in Champions...are considered by players to be the best content in the game. The Champions players want more of this, not more running around looting corpses.