Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship Mods
05-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Now, I don't know if this has been said or proposed before? If so then I apologize, but I just wanted to put it out there to see how many people would like to see this and if Cryptic could implement it.

My proposal is that the Ship mods don't stop at an initial shallow ship customization and then picking up simple internal components as you go along.
Rather I think there should be special technologies that can be picked up from missions or at random that can be in the form of a special piece to the structure of the ship (ie, the nacelle's, hull, pylon's etc.).
Now these parts could be interchangeable to other classes but have benefits and drawbacks like other internal components.
Also, if we could use the "crafting" part of game to this extent and make things like an up-armored hull or a more efficient nacelle (would look cooler in retrospect) that way it could tie in quite a bit better to the game.

I really don't know if anybody really wants this or just thinks it should be at the bottom of the list, but for me I look at the ship the most and would like to customize it far more than what is available now, and for it to be more unique.
Now our Avatars (actual captains) can pick up customization armor that changes their appearance as you go along so I wonder if they can't do the same to the thing we see the most of?

Let me know what you think, and CONSTRUCTIVELY tell me how it could be tweaked for it to actually be viable so it could be implemented in game. Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Upside -- its a good idea.

Downside -- Cryptic cant even get missions / variety made, let alone new pieces to hide around the world.

Other downside -- Cryptic would rather micro-transaction you to death despite the fact that you have a subscription than just GIVE you parts. Cause lord knows you subscription doesn't pay for it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-24-2010, 03:39 AM
Havraha, you are totally right with the whole stupid micro transactions!!
I still can't believe that people actually pay extra for content that should be added free in patches, but as long as some pay then they will release it that way. I just hope people realize that if they wait a while then it WILL get released either in a much cheaper package for most likely.... FOR FREE in a patch, but people don't like to wait for anything!

But I still hope they come to their senses and figure out that added content and stable compelling missions will make people come back and invite friends!! Although I figure they already know that but that takes time and money, and they are using both to finish a game that wasn't ready to be released when it was.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-24-2010, 03:43 AM
Nice idea could be implemented on a future update.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-24-2010, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnsldr View Post
Havraha, you are totally right with the whole stupid micro transactions!!
I still can't believe that people actually pay extra for content that should be added free in patches, but as long as some pay then they will release it that way. I just hope people realize that if they wait a while then it WILL get released either in a much cheaper package for most likely.... FOR FREE in a patch, but people don't like to wait for anything!

But I still hope they come to their senses and figure out that added content and stable compelling missions will make people come back and invite friends!! Although I figure they already know that but that takes time and money, and they are using both to finish a game that wasn't ready to be released when it was.
You have this backwards, I pay for the C-store cause it isnt out in a patch..............if I want more choices I gotta pay.....doesnt make it right. I dont think that they should release all alt style skins and races into a transaction. Stuff like char slots, rename, and reskill should be there...even the emote packs....cause come on...who really uses those anyhoo?

Still, until they meet their quota......I gotta bring the moola. Doesnt make it right though.

The nickle and dime feeling just stinks.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-24-2010, 04:33 AM
Nice idea.

But it could attract a lot of criticism if done wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-24-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havraha View Post
Downside -- Cryptic cant even get missions / variety made, let alone new pieces to hide around the world.

Other downside -- Cryptic would rather micro-transaction you to death despite the fact that you have a subscription than just GIVE you parts. Cause lord knows you subscription doesn't pay for it.
Sadly, QFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
Nice idea.

But it could attract a lot of criticism if done wrong.
Ships mods/skins already have when Cryptic released them within the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Ship Mods
05-24-2010, 06:38 AM
I think it is a good idea. I could be remembering wrong, but the aspects you mention remind me of the old 1993 Origin game Privateer. I seem to recall flying around in that game finding different ship parts and weapons, etc. that allowed you to modify how you wished. I think the capability is there to implement this, but as others have said, it has to be done right.

Problem is that any tech found would likely be crafted to fall in line with the specs of stuff everyone is familiar with. That is a shame really as it would add interesting aspects to the game if you did go on some long exploration to come back with odd and unknown tech that did perform above and beyond what is common. Sure this creates an advantage for certain individuals depending on what the tech is, but why does everyone have to be cookie cutter? In the end, that just creates monotany and boredom.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the insight guys, much appreciated, and I totally agree that if it is done it has to be done right.
Then again it is all about doing things right in the game and they have already implemented things in game that are really just a waste like the bridges and if they implement them, the rest of the interiors.

I do think that with enough support for the idea could bring about the inclusion of it in game and I am pretty sure that it could be done right and a good balance be found, especially with the new rewards program and how the more you play the better rewards you will be offered. Well, I know I would try to play longer and go farther out exploring if there is a possibility to find a very rare part for my ship that does change the way it looks making it more my own.

Anyways, thanks for the input and I hope if people want it or just think it might be cool to have then they will begin to ask for something like it from Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Cryptic looked into this in the beginning, but then decided against it. they have screenies somewhere of a centaur with green spheres built into the hull.

I think it's a cool idea, but then theres the problem where the cool ability doesn't match a cool look. WoW has that problem.

Edit: Hell i'vs started 3 threads on this topic and all of them died a quiet and lonely death.
Closed Thread