Lt. Commander
# 11
06-12-2010, 04:12 AM
The idea of a keyboard that changes to suit the task you're doing has been taken a step further than assigning functions to keys, but it's only a concept so far. There may be others with more than a concept but I don't know of them so until that time there's only one concept and it hasn't gone forward from there for a long time.

Optimus Tactus keyboard

With the increase of touchscreen technology I don't see it being too big a hurdle for someone to create a physical keyboard of standard dimensions with a screen to suit. Capacitive screens are great for phones and tablets but for a keyboard I think resistive would be a better option. The possibilities are quite fantastic and I'm more surprised that someone hasn't taken the leap to do it yet.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I no im going to sound like an idiot for say this.

But what's wrong with just using a good old fashion keyboard that you don't have to spend alot of money on?
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I for one have physical limitations that keep me from doing the whole WASD keyboard FPS style play. I can't keep my right arm extended for long periods of time, like I would have to do to play pretty much any game. Thus, a gamepad like the g13 is what I need to be able to play comfortably.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-17-2010, 06:03 PM
this: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...-b7E0Tag-uYsvA is perfect for STO, tho you'll have to find one else where, if possible.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-17-2010, 08:16 PM
I use a G13 with this setup. I had to set Alt + # to Numpad # (except num 1, thats used for torps) to stop it activating the wrong ability. Num 0 is Dist Shields and T is just for vent. I had tab targetting mapped to G23/24 but never really found it useful (I use the mouse for targetting).

Throttle control is mapped to the side buttons on my mamba, and I either click or use the g13 to activate stuff so lack of ctrl line doesnt bother me (I use that for devices and 2nd torp button anyway). Find it a lot easier to use (especially with throttle mapped to the mouse).
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-18-2010, 10:26 AM
i just set up a couple of profiles on my n52te for sto. on one of them, i set up macros for alt +1, alt +2 etc. in limitted testing so far, sto seems to fire the "1" command, rather than the "alt +1" command, for example. a search on the forums reveals some others have had this issue as well.

has anyone found a solution? i thought to try to increase the delays between key presses and releases. has anyone tried that and how did it work?
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
I use both a logitech G13 gameboard and a Razer Naga MMO mouse for my gaming setup on the pc, pretty much only needed to tweak/add a few bindings in the options the rest are defualt. naga is set to the numpad for tray access on the 12 buttons in tandem with having ctrl and alt on the G13 for quick access. will need to update my zip if anyone uses them aswell and wants the bindings for the game and gameboard.

also the only main macro i have is on the M1 profile for space bindingd is autofire toggle for the phasers (space) combined with distribute sheild power (delete) so i can toggle that on/off for space, M2 is for the ground profile (have 1 and 2 keys macroed as a hold toggle so as not to activate a power when not needed when pressing ctrl +1-6) and M3 is for extra keys that arnt used as often but are accesed when needed.

*for ground i have the option to use the 1 and 2 keys for the bat'leth on the mouse, toggle ingame autofire for missions or use the hold toggle on the G13 for STF's for aggro managment.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyladjr

But what's wrong with just using a good old fashion keyboard that you don't have to spend alot of money on?
http://www.thrustmaster.com/Upload/1...5/MFD-VT21.jpg

Lt. Commander
# 19
06-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyladjr

It's a valid question.

For me it helps to immerse myself in the Star Trek experience. A flat screen programmable/designable keyboard would be much better, but you make do with what you have. I try to imagine I am at a console on the bridge of one of the ships. It's working for me so far.

I am still getting my new G13 set up. I have taken a break from it and rolled a Caitian and now am getting him all set up. My other Captains are providing him with the best gear.

It is all about the 'fun' factor!
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyejon View Post
It's a valid question.

For me it helps to immerse myself in the Star Trek experience. A flat screen programmable/designable keyboard would be much better, but you make do with what you have. I try to imagine I am at a console on the bridge of one of the ships. It's working for me so far.

I am still getting my new G13 set up. I have taken a break from it and rolled a Caitian and now am getting him all set up. My other Captains are providing him with the best gear.

It is all about the 'fun' factor!
This game isn't really complicated enough to warrant the use of keyboards or mice designed for macroing.