Lt. Commander
# 21
06-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadynGabriel
This game isn't really complicated enough to warrant the use of keyboards or mice designed for macroing.
It may or may not be. I wouldn't be qualified to state an opinion. The whole thing with the keyboards, etc., is to get in to the Star Trek frame of mind. It helps me to enjoy the experience. I have sooo few things in life that give me enjoyment these days. It is all a personal preference thing.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadynGabriel
This game isn't really complicated enough to warrant the use of keyboards or mice designed for macroing.
valid till Commander but from Captain and Rear Admiral for space you have 30 total abilities (2 more after both Vice admiral and Admiral ranks are released) to manage and having a macro to manage the phasers and shields, leaves you free to react to the battle at hand esp in pvp where reaction times are a critical factor.
Lt. Commander
..I decided to use my Wii remote with Classic Controller that I had sitting around collecting dust. Using software by the name of GlovePIE, I have a script programmed that maps all the keys and analog pads to functions in the game - including one analog pad to control the mouse cursor. I'm still at lower ranks (just joined not too long ago!) so I don't have dozens of skills yet - but for simply piloting the ship, or on the ground - it's an ideal solution for me right now.

With the keyboard and mouse not too far away - I have 90% of my keys bound on the controller.. I find it so much easier in battles using a gamepad than WASD.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-27-2010, 04:06 PM
have been using a G13 for nearly a year now on several games, got an old injury on my right wrist so having it on my left hand is great.

never bothered with any of the macro features, just basic keystrokes, and having the little thumbstick as WASD has been the best option ever as far as im concerned.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitrol
have been using a G13 for nearly a year now on several games, got an old injury on my right wrist so having it on my left hand is great.

never bothered with any of the macro features, just basic keystrokes, and having the little thumbstick as WASD has been the best option ever as far as im concerned.
ye great thing is once joy support is in in season 2 then we can set that as the joy for space mabye even on ground (will see how well it works on ground on tribble)
Lt. Commander
# 26 Following Kirk's example
09-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xth3xr34p3rx View Post
valid till Commander but from Captain and Rear Admiral for space you have 30 total abilities (2 more after both Vice admiral and Admiral ranks are released) to manage and having a macro to manage the phasers and shields, leaves you free to react to the battle at hand esp in pvp where reaction times are a critical factor.
as a person who has zero desire to be anything but a ship's captain, any one who makes me a admiral will find me ignoring the promotion, or guilty of insubordation, to get reduced in rank back to being a captain of a starship.
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyladjr
I no im going to sound like an idiot for say this.

But what's wrong with just using a good old fashion keyboard that you don't have to spend alot of money on?
After getting past level 1 and level 2, I found that I did not like how the keys on the keyboard were programmed. So I want some thing I can program so I can train my hand to use to get a more logical response pattern to the keys. Since this is my first game controler, after visiting Best Buy, and looking at differnet game controllers, I went with the BELKIN n52te, one of several choices Best Buy had for game controlers, because it had a logical lay out with up down left and right arrows, and a reasonablly ergonomic lay out. So far I have been able to program STO to accept input from the n52te.

Now I have to figure out how to program the n52te to better match the way my mind functions. I figure I may want to program the n52te, Map 1 for space actions, and Map 2 for ground actions, but time will tell on that issue.
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-05-2010, 02:31 AM
The G13 is excellent for this game. I wouldn't want to do ship combat any other way.
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I am going to get the G15 keyboard
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I got the n52 to make play easier. I am a sad typist. Maybe 30 words a minute while LOOKING at the keyboard. If you can type or maybe play the guitar behind your back, save your money and don't get one! I love my n52.