Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
be allowed to be used as a projectile counter-measure. So that its timely use could possible deflect or detonate torpedoes and mines? It wouldnt gaurantee, butmaybe it could increase miss rates for projectiles weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-25-2010, 02:27 AM
photonic shockwave does kentic damage so any heavy torps/mines are usually destroyed by the wave. charged partical burst on the other hand only does shield damage so it isnt able to take those things out.

i like running up behind a mine layer and letting out a shockwave right as they drop a load of mines.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-25-2010, 03:40 AM
Photonic Shockwave will destory most mines/torpedos, provided the shockwave is a high enough level compared with the mines/torpedos you want to destroy.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Is there a visual for the shockwave destroying torpedoes? I had a HYT III salvo fired at me in PvE...the shockwave doesnt do anything...and Im delivering 1700HP of damage with it.

If its just for Heavy Plasma or Tricobalts, then its imcomplete. I can accept not being able to directly target these normal and HYT torpedo salvos with energy weapons, but a shockwave should be able to affect them...especially photonic shockwave.

Charged Particle could at least affect targeting temporarily to increase the torpedo's miss rate, while Photonic Shockwave could deflect(increasing miss rate) or even destroy them out right...even if it only deminishes the number of impacts from a multi-shot salvo.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-25-2010, 04:34 PM
since you cant normally target high yeild torpedos the shockwave cant hurt them either. the only high yield torp i know of that can be targeted is plasma (tricobalts can be targeted reguardless of high yield or not)

how do you figure that since the high yield plasma torps and tricobalts can be knocked out but others cant that it is incomplete?
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
since you cant normally target high yeild torpedos the shockwave cant hurt them either. the only high yield torp i know of that can be targeted is plasma (tricobalts can be targeted reguardless of high yield or not)

how do you figure that since the high yield plasma torps and tricobalts can be knocked out but others cant that it is incomplete?
If we are discharging a omni-directional shockwave(it looks 2D, but its applied in 3D), then why would a normal torpedo or salvo of torpodes be any more immune to the blast than thier Heavy torpedo counter-parts?

It shouldbe able to destroy or at least have a chance to knowck some or all of the torpedoes of course enough to cause an increaed missed rate.

I can understand wy its hard to target and shhot down a normal torpedo/salvo. They are small and extremly fast. But Photonic Shockwave and Charge Particle Burst(basically similar to an EM blast...hence its ability to disrupt cloaks and damage shields) dont have to be aimed because they hit all within thier blast radius. The Kinetic impact rom PH and the inteference of the charged particles with perhaps sensors or the torp's warp sustainer field(making it dead in the water) from CPB should be able to at least have the chance to disrupt the projectiles accuracy.

These are the type of creative use of features that Trekis all about...and we cant use it. What other deterent or defense do we have against torpedoes...espeically the all smitting HYTs?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-26-2010, 03:08 AM
that may be true in real physics but i doubt the game engine could handle something like that. if all torpedos were able to be destroyed itd give science ships an unfair advantage over other ships. same with charged burst being able to cause targeting problems (although i think there should be a skill like that so it just makes you harder to hit. not completely invissible like jam sensors)

so i do understand where your comming from i think its about game balance and limitations more then anything else. and i dont really recall any trek episodes/movies where torps got "shot down" so to speak.

i like to think that maybe the torps are somewhat shielded against stuff like that so they cant be stopped too.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-26-2010, 09:18 PM
but CPB is a 2nd slot skill right? PH is a 3rd? Wouldnt all ships have the option to use a skill once every 1 min or so to either have the possibility to destroy or cause misses with PH or the possibility to cause misses with CPB?

We are talking about one affected torpedo salvo every 1 min...torpedoes can be fired every few seconds as it is now...it wont be that destabilizing.

It would require putting a collider on the torpedoes just like the ships and mines and heavy torpedoes have now. Both bursts are already coded to interact with items with colliders...its a small adaption(though it doesnt meanits a small portion of work) to use what it was already made to do.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-28-2010, 03:00 AM
i meant in the sense that i dont think its possible to have only those 2 power destroy no targetable "items" i think its a game engine flaw/design. otherwise id use my shock wave and weapons to help clear out all these rocks i see floating around everywhere lol.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
i meant in the sense that i dont think its possible to have only those 2 power destroy no targetable "items" i think its a game engine flaw/design. otherwise id use my shock wave and weapons to help clear out all these rocks i see floating around everywhere lol.
Im sure thats why it doesnt work now...the solution is to give torpedoes colliders.