Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
05-26-2010, 05:13 AM
its the industry standard, how every other mmo ive played does things.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-26-2010, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivarST
When I pay money for the box itīs not promotional anything to me.
Unless you know a way of Crypitc accepting my promotional money. :p

Anyway. Some peeps donīt buy MMOs all the time and magically know how the effed up industry standard works.

So will I be able to successfully complete the subscription process with a GTC then? Or are there more "industry standard" hoops to jump through?
Don't worry about the majority of rude replies you'll get here. Obviously most of them never noticed you saying you didn't want to put your bank info (ie credit card) in.

Retail Key = CD key that comes with the game It's what proves your game is purchased legitimately essentially and is unique to your account.
Gametime Key is an alternative payment method that's totally seperate to your retail key and merely adds gametime to your existing retail account.

There are alternate payment methods to using a credit card including paypal etc. I (like Darth mentioned earlier) use a visa debit card and only have money needed for what i am buying right at that time in it, although for STO i have my lifetime, so don't need to worry anymore about my sub.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-26-2010, 06:11 AM
All them folks talking about credit cards, did it occur to y'all even once, just once, that not everybody outside the USA, respectively in the EU, pays and buys with a plastic card?

What is a standard practice in the USA is by far not a standard in the EU. Far from it...

Companies need to get it in their freaking heads already....because stereotyping is fail!
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Stereotyping exists because some social patterns are so prevalent and common that its sets a precendent for expected social traits from particiapnts of said society as a whole or by smaller social groups.

Hence, a US based company expecting the bulk of its customer base in the US to use credit cards as a means of payment is an expected situation.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Well isnīt that special!

Was happy to find the game somewhat cheap and figured the sentence:
"This Activation Code entails 30 Days Gametime"

Means I can play 30 days after I register the key..

WRONG!

If you donīt want to submit any personal banking data like me, then you need to buy a GAMETIME CODE on top of your gamebox to get your FREE 30 days.

I EFFIN HOPE!
Didnīt come that far yet in my Cryptic MMO experience.

Maybe anybody else successfully subscribed with game and GTC only?
NOT dumping anymore money in this until I know this works as the following text on the ADD SUBSCRIPTION page confuses the hell out of me.

/facepalm

10chars
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Pretty SMALL bright white letters mind you. But as I already said, had no chance of reading the box as I bought it online. And quite frankly wouldnīt have noticed it anyway.

Thanks for the tip about the referral key. As a nice fellow gave me a 10 day key after his referral, Iīd very much like to give something back.
GTC it is I guess. As I donīt do credit cards over the internet.
You should really consider getting just one credit card to use for internet gaming if you are planning on playing online games. Keep the card separate from your other cards and use it only for online purchases. This insures that you can track any problems to the card quickly and have a good idea of where the problem may have occurred if there is one.

Really, if you going to do things online these days you are pretty much required to have at least one credit card to your name.

Short of that, ask your mom or dad if you can use theirs.

Lt. Commander
# 27
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ
All them folks talking about credit cards, did it occur to y'all even once, just once, that not everybody outside the USA, respectively in the EU, pays and buys with a plastic card?

What is a standard practice in the USA is by far not a standard in the EU. Far from it...

Companies need to get it in their freaking heads already....because stereotyping is fail!
As I said, I am in Europe, I did not use a credit card, and I had no trouble at all. I can't see the issue. There are many other online games or mailorders that will insist on a credit card, and not accept debit or PayPal, or even non-US based cards. Not the case here, so no stereotyping. Just because 'credit card' is the first/most popular payment way, it doesn't mean there aren't any others.
If you look at the subscription box in your account settings, you will notice a box 'PayPal'. If you use it, there is no credit card required.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ

It is a US game made by a US company so I don't think it is stereotyping.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acylion
That said, it signs you up for the subscription, it does not actually charge the credit card yet...and will not, until the end of 30 free days.

This is pretty typical for MMOs nowdays. I'm not sure why they do this. Perhaps they think players are too stupid to realise they need to pay month by month, and want to make sure you do. Maybe they want you to commit from the outset. I dunno.
It's by no means a practice exclusive to the MMO industry, it's not new, and it's always been with the knowledge that at least some people will forget to cancel after the 'free trial' and spend money that they wouldn't otherwise.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
you can also use a prepaid CC from like walmart or w/e if you prefer not to use ur personal cc