Lt. Commander
# 21
05-26-2010, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
And here is an example of the third problem.

The fleet forums you're trying to create may not be entirely exclusive, but they're a step in the wrong direction.

Now you have people asking "am I allowed to do X" even though the very purpose of our fleet is to not have to do things like that.

I don't like the idea of a fleet forum for exactly this reason. It's not completely wrong, but it's a step in the absolutely wrong direction that I don't want to take.

My two cents.
But then agian I shouldn't have to ask that if I am eventually going to join... im just to nice to leave my old fleet. >.> But I never talk at all in it. Just lonely.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-26-2010, 05:10 AM
Alright, maybe poor word choice on my part in the earlier posts and for that I apologize. But I didn't and don't intend to make a decision for the whole fleet by making a forum for scheduling. I mean, I'm just trying to do something that some people may want to participate in and if its against some fleet policy, I was unaware as apparently, a few others were as well. Because honestly, (and I'm not trying to use this as an excuse) but I haven't been around since the beginning so there's really no possible way I could have read every post in here to find out if there was some kind of scheduling/calendar policy. And since there is no fleet website, official rules and policies aren't exactly something that would be easy to locate. So I'm sorry, but no one ever made it clear to me what those policies were/are.

I'm not trying to step on any toes or take-over any kind of responsibilities of any kind. In fact, i had hoped the fleets admins (or whoever does official stuff) would take it over once I got it started. I don't even have time to do that sort of admin work. I just thought it would be a good idea to get something out there that simplified the option to schedule things. I mean, hell, I wasn't even aware that if I wanted to ask some fleetmates in advance to run a mission or two that there was 'official AFCTF business' channels that I had to go through.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with this but I really don't see the issue of having an option to say "Hey, who wants to go do Terradome this weekend? When would be a good time?"

So, to the decision-makers in 10F, if it is against fleet policy to setup missions with friends someplace other than Cryptic's Ten-Forward forum, then I do apologize.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-26-2010, 05:16 AM
Nope, it's not a policy, and nope, we don't have a single body of decision makers.

That's the whole point.

Everyone in the fleet contributes to a decision. And that's a decision that everyone in the fleet contributed to. At least at the time it was made.

So what we need to do is allow everyone who sees this thread to chip in and when we come to a consensus regarding whether or not this is a good idea, THEN we'll act. Until then, please keep the forum locked and inactive.

So, after what's been said, what do you all think? Let's hear some yeas and nays.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-26-2010, 05:21 AM
Sounds good to me.

Honestly though, I was saw that we had no site or anything and thought I'd go and try to set something simple up for the (what I thought were admins, but now I know its a majority-type thing) to handle once it was up.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-26-2010, 08:44 AM
I don't see the harm in it anymore then I see a need for it.

Still, we now have our very own private forum. Ooooooh, private! We could have kinky forum parties!

No scratch that.

It can be like our planet Hoth. If we somehow anger the Devs to the point where they mass boot all members of the AFCTF then we'll have a refuge to go to. I suppose we could use it to gossip about other fleets, or non fleet members, so long as we can make it only viewable by members of the fleet.

Well thats my attempt to validate its existance. I'm not offended or bothered by its creation. I just don't expect it'll get a lot of use.

Appreciate the thought though!
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-26-2010, 08:54 AM
I am backing Hazard on this one. We are a public democratic fleet in the purest sense, no policy, no leadership, and no structure. 10 Forward is all about a group of people having fun and socializing. No administrators, and no officers and no admittance policy. Why do you think we spend more time in our public chat channel than fleet chat? Mothball the site is my suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm not a member of the Fleet. But I have been a supporter of this forum since Open Beta (oooo long time), and a supporter of AFCTF before anyone had even decided what to call it. Hell I even tried to start a fleet with a similar idea on launch day for STO (which never worked out thanks to my total lack of charisma).

A private forum could indeed be very useful for AFCTF members if used appropriately. But if we're talking about using it as a haven for people who got banned for breaking posting rules. Or using it more exclusively to plan events than this current forum. It will go a long way to dissolve any relationships formed by the Fleet Alliance in place in this forum. You pretty much alienate everyone who might use this forum who DIDN'T join AFCTF, for whatever reason. (Mine being that I lead another fleet of old gamer buddies).

And especially when it comes to large scale group planning, I don't think we want to exclude ANYBODY here who would be willing to sit in with a group of AFCTF members wanting to run infected, or what have you.
Take a look at the current plans for infected this weekend. A majority of the people who expressed interest have been AFCTF members. But my own SDA (an ally of AFCTF) have pledged our support as seat fillers if we are needed. And several other elsewhere-fleeted or independent individuals have offered support as well.

I guess in a nutshell I'm saying, a private forum COULD definitely work for AFCTF, as long as it's users don't completely alienate the online community from which your fleet is based.

But what do I know? I'm just some stoned out guru.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl1919 View Post
I'm not a member of the Fleet. But I have been a supporter of this forum since Open Beta (oooo long time), and a supporter of AFCTF before anyone had even decided what to call it. Hell I even tried to start a fleet with a similar idea on launch day for STO (which never worked out thanks to my total lack of charisma).

A private forum could indeed be very useful for AFCTF members if used appropriately. But if we're talking about using it as a haven for people who got banned for breaking posting rules. Or using it more exclusively to plan events than this current forum. It will go a long way to dissolve any relationships formed by the Fleet Alliance in place in this forum. You pretty much alienate everyone who might use this forum who DIDN'T join AFCTF, for whatever reason. (Mine being that I lead another fleet of old gamer buddies).

And especially when it comes to large scale group planning, I don't think we want to exclude ANYBODY here who would be willing to sit in with a group of AFCTF members wanting to run infected, or what have you.
Take a look at the current plans for infected this weekend. A majority of the people who expressed interest have been AFCTF members. But my own SDA (an ally of AFCTF) have pledged our support as seat fillers if we are needed. And several other elsewhere-fleeted or independent individuals have offered support as well.

I guess in a nutshell I'm saying, a private forum COULD definitely work for AFCTF, as long as it's users don't completely alienate the online community from which your fleet is based.

But what do I know? I'm just some stoned out guru.
This.

This, this, and this again.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
I am backing Hazard on this one. We are a public democratic fleet in the purest sense, no policy, no leadership, and no structure. 10 Forward is all about a group of people having fun and socializing. No administrators, and no officers and no admittance policy. Why do you think we spend more time in our public chat channel than fleet chat? Mothball the site is my suggestion.
Well said! You saved me some writing. (:
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-26-2010, 11:09 AM
I got kicked outa the fleet.
Who knew they were serious about that "Don't ask, Don't tell" stuff.