Lt. Commander
# 1 UGC Could Mean STO's Death
05-26-2010, 07:54 AM
This is the simple truth, and anyone who played CoX knows this to be basically true. I played CoH/CoV for years, and when they brought in Architect Edition, it totally killed the game. There was nothing but abuse of the system and turned CoH in a power levelling farm game, and made it as boring as hell. It's like removing banking regulations - it's only a matter of time before abuse is rampant and collapses.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-26-2010, 07:59 AM
I feel the same way....also the reason I quit COH/COV. Finding a team that didn't want to lvl the lazy farm way was like looking for waldo in the great land of candy canes.....verrrrryyyyyy un-nerving.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-26-2010, 08:36 AM
But, new content could also make the game far better. Regardless, it's something that Cryptic's doing. So the real question is what features should the UGC toolset have to avoid the problems that you've experienced.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-26-2010, 08:53 AM
They may not do it all yet. They may hit all sorts of problems and scrape it. Besides the obvious copy write issues, the devs here could hit the same issue the NCSoft devs hit. The NCSoft devs knew their UGC system could easily be corrupted and still rolled with it.

You want a good idea: hold a contest by allowing people to use a story writing tool for a mission. If the mission meets the copy write requirements, and has the votes by the devs, implement it as a mission content of the week.
Lt. Commander
# 5 It's Copyright
05-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCatoKnot View Post
This is the simple truth, and anyone who played CoX knows this to be basically true. I played CoH/CoV for years, and when they brought in Architect Edition, it totally killed the game. There was nothing but abuse of the system and turned CoH in a power levelling farm game, and made it as boring as hell. It's like removing banking regulations - it's only a matter of time before abuse is rampant and collapses.
How many times are you going to type this same post? I've seen two copies of this post in at least two other threads now.

And in response to your post, no it didn't "kill the game." The devs confirmed that the subscriber base is up compared to before the MA Edition was released.

Yes, the CoH/V devs screwed up when creating the MA. They screwed up big-time by ignoring us during beta testing. We told them literally hundreds of times while it was still on the test server, almost every single bad thing that was going to happen. And it did. It happened because they wouldn't listen to the testers.

Positron's since been demoted. The new lead dev, Warwitch, is unlikely to make that same mistakes that he did. Point is that just because mistakes happened in CoH/V that does not mean that UGC can't be properly implemented in an MMO.

Your OP is like the old man that says, "That new-fangled auto mobily thingy crashed and killed a man! We need to ban them autos. They're dangerous!"

Aren't you glad that people ignored that crazy old man? If we'd listened to him we wouldn't have cars or trucks or buses.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post

They screwed up big-time by ignoring us during beta testing. We told them literally hundreds of times while it was still on the test server, almost every single bad thing that was going to happen. And it did. It happened because they wouldn't listen to the testers.
To keep things in perspective, they were just as stubborn with other pieces of broken content throughout their history. Testers told them really obvious things (like in CoV, one shot kills are bad for PVP ... but they went live ... and had to later be changed ... or in CoH, so much broken content ... so little attention paid to the feedback or bug reports).

So yeah, I'm not sure they're a shining example of open communication with the playerbase. In fact, it might be those "past mistakes" that have prompted THIS Cryptic, and THIS dev team to try and do better in those areas.

Lt. Commander
# 7
05-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
To keep things in perspective, they were just as stubborn with other pieces of broken content throughout their history. Testers told them really obvious things (like in CoV, one shot kills are bad for PVP ... but they went live ... and had to later be changed ... or in CoH, so much broken content ... so little attention paid to the feedback or bug reports).

So yeah, I'm not sure they're a shining example of open communication with the playerbase. In fact, it might be those "past mistakes" that have prompted THIS Cryptic, and THIS dev team to try and do better in those areas.

Isn't that the truth.

That's the exact reason why, after having been in 3 of CoH/V's closed beta tests of upcoming issues, I told them flat out that I would never test for them ever again.

Many, many times, we told them about bugs. They went live anyway. Many, many times we told them; "This is going to be a problem", it went live anyway. Only to have them change it in a later update to what we had recommended, because it was a problem. Oddly enough, most of those changes "accidentally" didn't make it into the patch notes, because the Paragon dev team refuses to ever admit to a mistake.

It got so bad that one of their devs, Back Alley Brawler, finally made something of a rant post explaining to people how their beta process works. In that post he flat out said, we're not going to listen to your suggestions, we're just going to datamine and then do whatever we think is best.

And I'm sorry for veering off topic here. I'll quit now.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCatoKnot View Post
[UGC Could Mean STO's Death] This is the simple truth, and anyone who played CoX knows this to be basically true...
I completely disagree, but I'm glad you put "could" in your title!
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
lol

the beta boys

you test for free someone's game

they listen to what they want

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Your Pal, Indigofyre
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
How many times are you going to type this same post? I've seen two copies of this post in at least two other threads now.

And in response to your post, no it didn't "kill the game." The devs confirmed that the subscriber base is up compared to before the MA Edition was released.

In his defense, I believe he's saying that it killed his enjoyment of the game because it became harder to find teams to actually play real content as opposed to MA and he's concerned that it will 'kill' STO in the same fashion for him and others.