Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
05-26-2010, 10:04 AM
i'd like to believe that cryptic would learn from mistakes made with the CoX UGC system and create one here that will allow an influx of content without all the abuse problems that come with it.

im sure it's not difficult in concept. Cryptic has proven so far that they've been really good at listening to their players and making key changes based on that direct feedback, im sure UGC system wont be an exception.

im looking forward to this, especially in a star trek universe, the creative minds out there waiting to feed this game im sure is quite large...hopefully Cryptic will work hard to make sure the system is not horribly abused!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
05-26-2010, 10:08 AM
I've posted in another thread on the same topic (I think P_F started), but in case they data mine, might as well add the suggestion to both.

Make UGC earn ZERO experience, ZERO merits, ZERO items. Make it a holo-novel meant for entertainment purposes only.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
05-26-2010, 10:17 AM
If done right, UGC could also become STO's greatest success. What's your point?

Please learn to properly express your personal opinions. "AE killed the game for me personally" is true in your case. "AE killed the game" - inferring the game got shut down because of it - is totally false.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
05-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Painter_Pegazus View Post
...Make UGC earn ZERO experience, ZERO merits, ZERO items. Make it a holo-novel meant for entertainment purposes only.
I can agree with you about the ZERO rewards, as in, the story/experience should be its own reward, what I'll never agree on, is making it just a virtual holo-novel!

Especially with the promise of the cluster exploration system has to offer. Imagine exploring an "Unknown System" and finding a UGC quest-line there? I think that is the way to go about spawning UGC missions. In unexplored clustered, seeded by authors who've been there and chose to anchor their UGC story in that system, thus fleshing it out in a cooperative effort, i.e. one system could host many stories.

The rewards of UGC stories could in fact be UGC-tokens to be utilized for making more UGC stories, and these tokens could perhaps be traded/sold on the Exchange to stimulate and expand the games' economy. That's how I'd do it, if I were Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
05-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Four days after AE came out, everyone in the entire game was level 50. Level 50s didn't know what their own powers were. Goldfarmers and PL services made thousands upon thousands of dollars that week.

A month later, half the "missions" in AE were "hamidon goo farm"

Two months later, there were 10 people per server still playing.

A month and a half later they decided to fix it, but everyone was already gone. Some of them came back after the "grey side" change, but the damage was done. I'll never go back, the fourteen hundred people in my SG alliance will never go back. There are only 2 servers left out of a dozen and a half that people still play on. The other servers are populated by goldfarmbots that have been on autopilot since the Clinton years.

Maybe you refuse to believe a game is dead until, like Matrix:Online, they unplug the server. Let me tell you about the final days of Matrix:Online. There were still 50 people playing at the end. 25 of them were GMs hand-picked from the community for playing all around the clock and remaining fanbois in the face of game-ending madness. They had implimented a player-generated-content system without ever doing a single bugfix on anything in the entire game. There were never a whole lot of people playing Matrix, but 95% of them left within two weeks of the PGC system going live. One year later nobody had bothered coming back, and the company had declared bankruptcy for the game, and handed the server over to voulunteer GMs. The voulunteer GMs cliqued up and didn't let new players into the game. Eventually even the hardcore fanbois left.

PGC systems are dangerous to the bottom line, and when you do see one implimented, it's because the marketing team has moved on to a game that's still making a profit. History has shown us that every game which impliments a PGC loses a huge chunk of its playerbase within days. It's pretty much stuck with that reputation until some MMO company comes out with a game that STARTS with a PGC system already in place. I'm betting that company will be White Wolf Studios, because that's how their entire philosophy works in the first place.

I love the idea of a PGC, but I also have been around to experience the past. I feel bad for you lot who really want this, not because of anything to do with you, but because of what will happen when you finally get what you want. See: Pyrrhic Victory
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
05-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldor
Four days after AE came out, everyone in the entire game was level 50. Level 50s didn't know what their own powers were. Goldfarmers and PL services made thousands upon thousands of dollars that week.

A month later, half the "missions" in AE were "hamidon goo farm"

Two months later, there were 10 people per server still playing.
Really? And the source of those numbers is....?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
05-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldor
Four days after AE came out, everyone in the entire game was level 50. Level 50s didn't know what their own powers were. Goldfarmers and PL services made thousands upon thousands of dollars that week.

A month later, half the "missions" in AE were "hamidon goo farm"

Two months later, there were 10 people per server still playing.

A month and a half later they decided to fix it, but everyone was already gone. Some of them came back after the "grey side" change, but the damage was done. I'll never go back, the fourteen hundred people in my SG alliance will never go back. There are only 2 servers left out of a dozen and a half that people still play on. The other servers are populated by goldfarmbots that have been on autopilot since the Clinton years.

Maybe you refuse to believe a game is dead until, like Matrix:Online, they unplug the server. Let me tell you about the final days of Matrix:Online. There were still 50 people playing at the end. 25 of them were GMs hand-picked from the community for playing all around the clock and remaining fanbois in the face of game-ending madness. They had implimented a player-generated-content system without ever doing a single bugfix on anything in the entire game. There were never a whole lot of people playing Matrix, but 95% of them left within two weeks of the PGC system going live. One year later nobody had bothered coming back, and the company had declared bankruptcy for the game, and handed the server over to voulunteer GMs. The voulunteer GMs cliqued up and didn't let new players into the game. Eventually even the hardcore fanbois left.

PGC systems are dangerous to the bottom line, and when you do see one implimented, it's because the marketing team has moved on to a game that's still making a profit. History has shown us that every game which impliments a PGC loses a huge chunk of its playerbase within days. It's pretty much stuck with that reputation until some MMO company comes out with a game that STARTS with a PGC system already in place. I'm betting that company will be White Wolf Studios, because that's how their entire philosophy works in the first place.

I love the idea of a PGC, but I also have been around to experience the past. I feel bad for you lot who really want this, not because of anything to do with you, but because of what will happen when you finally get what you want. See: Pyrrhic Victory
Hate to say it, but this post is complete and utter nonsense.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
05-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCatoKnot View Post
This is the simple truth, and anyone who played CoX knows this to be basically true. I played CoH/CoV for years, and when they brought in Architect Edition, it totally killed the game. There was nothing but abuse of the system and turned CoH in a power levelling farm game, and made it as boring as hell. It's like removing banking regulations - it's only a matter of time before abuse is rampant and collapses.
If only this post was human readable. All those abbreviations don't tell me anything and what has abuse and the collapse of abuse in wherever to do with STO and its death ??

And why is this cryptic message the truth ?? I thought it was 42.

:O
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
05-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
How many times are you going to type this same post? I've seen two copies of this post in at least two other threads now.

And in response to your post, no it didn't "kill the game." The devs confirmed that the subscriber base is up compared to before the MA Edition was released.

Yes, the CoH/V devs screwed up when creating the MA. They screwed up big-time by ignoring us during beta testing. We told them literally hundreds of times while it was still on the test server, almost every single bad thing that was going to happen. And it did. It happened because they wouldn't listen to the testers.

Positron's since been demoted. The new lead dev, Warwitch, is unlikely to make that same mistakes that he did. Point is that just because mistakes happened in CoH/V that does not mean that UGC can't be properly implemented in an MMO.

Your OP is like the old man that says, "That new-fangled auto mobily thingy crashed and killed a man! We need to ban them autos. They're dangerous!"

Aren't you glad that people ignored that crazy old man? If we'd listened to him we wouldn't have cars or trucks or buses.
Really, I thought it was more I hope history doesn't repeat itself. After all, the word COULD is in the title. It's not like a bunch of people pointed out stuff to the devs here in beta for CO and STO and they didn't listen. No history repeating there.

Yes it did kill the game. Server pops dropped left right and centre, people dropped/sold their sub accounts. Most of the poeple I played with for years left. Some I know only came back after AE was nerfed to hades and back (oh now, a repeat of a line) If CoX pop is up, I would like to know as compared to when? Before AE? During the huge pop boom with the release of AE, the pop after a few months of AE, or due to pre sales of Rogue were some maybe coming back?

And sometimes it is better to be the "new fangled" old man pointing out the shark infested water than the young twit swimming in shark infested waters becuase the twit ignored all the signs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
05-26-2010, 11:13 AM
I agree with the guy with the Bing Bang Theory avatar. Also, wouldn't adding some peripheral functions for the game like city simulation and real time strategy aspects (for admirals/generals) be fairly easy to do and add a lot of dimension to the game?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:35 PM.