Lt. Commander
# 1 MoonZoo and GalaxyZoo
05-26-2010, 08:02 AM
I just thought I would let folks know about these two sites (run by the same organization) that sort of give us non Science types a chance to see what sorts of things our science officers might have done before they signed on to our crews.

GalaxyZoo shows you images from automated scans of our universe from Hubble and asks you to classify them according to some simple criteria. They also ask you to see if there are any other interesting objects in the image and mark those as well. Most of these galaxies have never had human eyes laid on them before.

MoonZoo shows you images from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter and asks you to mark craters of a certain size, as well as look for interesting features like channels, boulders, boulder tracks and left over space junk on surface.

I find both enjoyable for short periods of time and both help contribute to actual real world science.

http://www.moonzoo.org/

http://www.galaxyzoo.org/
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-26-2010, 09:17 AM
This looks pretty cool. Not something I can do here at work, but I'm gonna have to remember this thread when I get home.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Fun sites. GalaxyZoo is really fun especially when you remember that these are entire galaxies that no one has ever looked at before. Makes you feel really responsible about giving them the right classification.
My favorite is :Astronomy Picture of the Day.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I did GalaxyZoo for years. It was nice to know that we were actually participating in helping out a study, as well.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Taco Chuck? Where is platypus? somebody will be nommed