Lt. Commander
# 11
05-27-2010, 08:43 PM
This game is set years after the show, there have been technological advancments
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-27-2010, 08:49 PM
True, most are secrete. Who let RSP out of the bag?
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-27-2010, 08:54 PM
We need reverse weapon polarity! If you use it not on RSP you refill their shields. Or on RSP you kill tehm.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-28-2010, 11:23 AM
It is a good point that it is set in the future. So many different technologies should be created and undergo process. The developers have really done an excellent job in creating the game and allowing for these abilities to be in the game.

So I don't see why players should be complaining about RSP. If anything, players should suggest new abilities. The developers have created the game and have final say in their decision on abilities.

Honestly, anything can happen in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Becareful with the argument that being in the future justifies such drastic changes...its a two way street that can bite you in the butt. Becareful using such an arguement just to get what you want...it can open a can of worms that'll come back and haunt you.

Its difficult to say when its gone to far, and it loks bad when you try to reel it in only after you've gotten what you want.

Its always better to tread lightly when diverging from canon. Always think twice when asking for something you think is beneficial to you...make sure you are looking out further than the tip of your nose before jumping on it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luepert View Post
We need reverse weapon polarity! If you use it not on RSP you refill their shields. Or on RSP you kill tehm.
Reverse weapon polarity sounds interesting. How would that work? lol

The game is pretty successful so far. Just don't think players need to bash on RSP that much. Just enjoy the game and have fun. If the developers need to change up some of the moves, such as RSP, then so be it. It is their choice and they should also hear everyone out. Everyone is allowed to give their input and let the developers decide how they want to make their final choices.

RSP can go either way: good or bad, but it is a common ability to have.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-28-2010, 07:41 PM
i would just like to point out that the reverse shield polarity also has its oposite witch is energy modulation " alows for better shield penitration"....its not like they just said okay we'll make it so fed. can dominate all the time, the energy modulation works quite well to cut through shields too.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devistator View Post
i would just like to point out that the reverse shield polarity also has its oposite witch is energy modulation " alows for better shield penitration"....its not like they just said okay we'll make it so fed. can dominate all the time, the energy modulation works quite well to cut through shields too.
Good point there. Well RSP takes a long time to cooldown in a tight battle. So not like RSP is used so frequently.

Energy modulation is a good engineering move and definitely specializes in engineers going towards the offensive side.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-28-2010, 10:06 PM
I cant say Ive seen anything impressive with the Energy Modulation skill. Its Hull damage per shot is barely a dent considering it seems to be capped at the few HP per energy type that it alternates through. In my experience its a marginal gimmick special that seems to be no more than a nuisance on its own...as a counter to RSP, its even less of a problem since you dont have to choose between healing the hull of the minor damage or shields. I could only see it being benefical under focused fire on a RSP target...but it seems focus firing, especially with cannons, gets the job done with bleed through easy enough.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
So you are suggesting to accept all failings because another exists? I think even the devs realize that is not acceptable to have the Feds killing everything insight(granted, its likly that only exists because they ran out of development time and not because they didntgrasp inappropritnss of it)...so what are they doing? They are fixing the short sight with the inclusion of diplomatic missions...so one could argue that the correction of that over-sight is justification to argue the fixing of the RSP issue...if in fact it is not supported by cannon.

I agree with the OP, this shouldnt not work for advanced energy weapons in use on our starships. Its just one more gamey, gimmicky and destabilizing piece of Harry Potter wizadry that has been more of a detractor and distraction than a benefit to STO.

I say purge it.
No, I just think there are way more pressing issues related to the 'this is not Star Trek' problem than a single skill. If you look at it like that, when was the last time you saw a ship create a Tyken's Rift or Gravity Well? Most of the time, existing anomalies were used or enhanced with the almighty deflector dish. And if there was no Tyken's Rift, no-one had the idea to create one - all the time.
Subnucleonic radiation was mentioned to be lethal to humanoids within seconds, yet the ships we hit with SNB can still fly and fight back after the effect wears off. That would maybe work if they had all android/hologram crews, but not with Hirogen, Romulans, Cardassians, Klingons, various other hostile species.

Reverse shield polarity simply needs a different name to fix this issue.