Lt. Commander
# 21
05-29-2010, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
I cant say Ive seen anything impressive with the Energy Modulation skill. Its Hull damage per shot is barely a dent considering it seems to be capped at the few HP per energy type that it alternates through. In my experience its a marginal gimmick special that seems to be no more than a nuisance on its own...as a counter to RSP, its even less of a problem since you dont have to choose between healing the hull of the minor damage or shields. I could only see it being benefical under focused fire on a RSP target...but it seems focus firing, especially with cannons, gets the job done with bleed through easy enough.
the thing is though that the energy modulation is a timed skill, not just a one shot to take 1 or two points off the hull, its ment to upgrade your phaser fire so they can break down or penetrate the sheilds a bit more, i don't know about anyone else but i find EM to be effective, thank fully not overly effective like some of the powers in this game. and especialy dealing with an engi. every little bit helps.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devistator View Post
the thing is though that the energy modulation is a timed skill, not just a one shot to take 1 or two points off the hull, its ment to upgrade your phaser fire so they can break down or penetrate the sheilds a bit more, i don't know about anyone else but i find EM to be effective, thank fully not overly effective like some of the powers in this game. and especialy dealing with an engi. every little bit helps.
Agree every little helps.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
No, I just think there are way more pressing issues related to the 'this is not Star Trek' problem than a single skill. If you look at it like that, when was the last time you saw a ship create a Tyken's Rift or Gravity Well? Most of the time, existing anomalies were used or enhanced with the almighty deflector dish. And if there was no Tyken's Rift, no-one had the idea to create one - all the time.
Subnucleonic radiation was mentioned to be lethal to humanoids within seconds, yet the ships we hit with SNB can still fly and fight back after the effect wears off. That would maybe work if they had all android/hologram crews, but not with Hirogen, Romulans, Cardassians, Klingons, various other hostile species.

Reverse shield polarity simply needs a different name to fix this issue.
RSP is part f the over all problem...they all need to addressed. No one is syaing remove RSP at the expense of resolving the other pressing amd glaring mis-steps in the games "powers". Its just one of many pieces of garbage that needs to swept into the dumpster.

The skill itself is just to far, changing its name is nt going to fix the fact that its out of place in Trek. Its amazing effective with no drawbacks. Now if it was possible to input so much energy into RSP that one could cause a shield system failure, then I'd be fine with it..because it would have check and balance, but no, its almost God mode(minus the bleedthrough which all shields have)...oh, but only for 15 secs.

If the Keep RSp, I say, give it a total and rate limit, so that once the RSP takes a fixed aount of damage, or recieves a certain amount within a given period of time, it fails the shields for a couple of seconds. That way, I can believe that maybe there was thought involved that realized the shield system has to deal with all this energy somehow and that its not just magically entering the system with no ramifications.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-02-2010, 07:16 AM
The Borg have the ability to do what RSP does with their shields.

It was demonstrated in VOY: Dark Frontiers, when Seven is on the Queen's ship at the assimilation of species 10026. Species 10026 uses a "modulating phaser pulse" which cuts through borg shields (because it constantly alters frequency so they cannot rapidly adapt to it) until the Borg alter their shields to absorb the energy instead.

Given that was many years before the game, it's entirely possible the Feds (with Seven's help, prior to her fallout with starfleet) could have adopted the use of this technology.

Change it's name to Adaptive Shielding if need be, but the ability fits in just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Skills that turn damge into healling always seem to cause problems in all MMOs. They are sort of intrinsically impossible to balance, because the provide the user with a variable benefit that depends, perversely, on the opponent.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-02-2010, 08:53 AM
"Reverse Shield Polarities" is just one of those generic orders given when a ship comes under fire. I hear it all the time, along with "Torpedoes, full spread" and "Target their shields". It makes sense that these abilities are also used all the time in STO.

However, I agree that the specific action that RSP has -- to convert incoming energy damage into shield power -- doesn't have any sort of canonical basis. RSP and RSF were used fairly interchangably in the TV series; RSF in game seems much more like what RSF and RSP were in the TV series, and much more like what RSP should be in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
I agree with the OP, this shouldnt not work for advanced energy weapons in use on our starships. Its just one more gamey, gimmicky and destabilizing piece of Harry Potter wizadry that has been more of a detractor and distraction than a benefit to STO.

I say purge it.
You know, while I enjoy a Star Trek canon discussion as much as the next fan; when getting to this level of minutiae (ie stating a ship officer power in a Star Trek game is non-canon because for the TV series, the purpose was to entertain; hell, even the show's episode writers from TOS to ENT stated - 'we let someone else write the technobable and just had terms like [technobable here] in the scripts') is just plain ridiculous.

IMO (and as someone who's seen Star Trek first run since 1969) - considering what the power does in game; the title for the power is just fine. Also, as a fan since 1969; if there's ONE thing that can be stated about Star Trek, it's that NO ONE can define exactly what 'Star Trek' is to another fan; because (over it's 44 year history, it's been all over the place.

Examples?

In many a TOS episode, Kirk often starts out a hail with: "We come in peace, and mean no harm to you, or any lifeform."; yet if he gets no response, the resulting line usually is: "Mr. Sulu, arm phasers and raise shields"; and it's then more of a 50/50 chance you'll see the 1701 fire at something.

TNG is nearly the exact opposite with Picard wanting to do NOTHING but talk the enemy to death (often calling staff conferences in the middle of a fight (see Q-Who) to discuss options; and it's a 50/50 chance he will fire back even after the 1701-D's shields drop, or the ship takes dammage. (Interestingly enouigh, he STILL seems the EXCEPTION to your 'usual' 24th century Star Fleet captain, as TNG's The Wounded show's a captain who is willing to fight - and who Picard even admits at the end of that episode was right, and if not for an Admiral who ordered that peace must be maintained at all costs because Starfleet is still recovering from the earlier Borg incident - Cptain Maxwell, would have gotten a nmedal or a commendation. There's also captain Jellico from Chain of Command - who makes captain Kirk look like a peace loving diplomat).

DS9 - Sisko is another 'more like Kirk' captain who has zero reservatuions about shooting first. Hell, the DS9 episode In The Pale Moonlight shows that when it all comes down to it, (unlike Picard, who is honestly so idealistic, he'd prefer to see the Federation fall, rather than violate one of his lofty priinciples, again, he seems the exception rather than the rule for a 24th century captain); Sisko WILL do whatever it takes to save the Federation.

VOY - Captain Janeway was just plain psychotic. One week she would risk the ship and abandon the Prime Directive for a single crewmember; while the next week she's ready to sacrifice EVERYONE and ANYONE to uphold Starfleet priciples. If they had a compotent medical officer on that ship, she would have ben relieved of command (imo) [Personally have never seen all of VOY as I couldn'yt take the level of honestly bad writing after The 37's - YMMV]

ENT - Archer DEFINITELY had to reservatuions about shooting first after Season 2. He started out extremely idealistic, but came to realize the universe of Star trek was adangerous place; and also was willing to do whatever was required to protect Earth and it's population.

So, you REALLY want to look at 44 years of Star Trek and make the claim "It's all/only/mostly about peacful exploration and diplomacy..."? Because if you do, I have to ask, "Did you WATCH Star Trek?" Yes, peaceful exploration and diplomacy was what they strived for, but it rarely ever worked out; and in DS9 we saw how the Federation responded in a timne of declared war (which IS the situation between the Klingon Empire and the Federation in the game); and I don't recall Sisko hailing an enemy ship to try and get a peaceful or diplomatic resolution before he fired on it.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-03-2010, 05:22 AM
As the pvp gameplay is now , a skill like RSP is necessary.BUT just one copy , i am against multiple copies of this skill and i am so happy after the new patch only 1 copy will be enough (cd timers).

I am not interested in the name , it fits despite not been accurate, if i was annoyed by details like these i would have a problem playing this game , there are enough similar exambles to fill many pages.

I am just happy that now RSP spammers will be forced to finally start learning how to play pvp using a variety of skills and not multiple copies of a "i dont know how to tank" skill. **(In this case tank i mean he ability of any class ship to extent his survivability , i am not refering to cruisers , anyone can tank some more some less due to ship class , just so i am not misundestood).