Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - Announcements and Release Notes
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
05-28-2010, 05:25 AM
an excellent new feature, thanks
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
05-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Oh great. Instead of finally giving us vendors that sell all the stuff so we're actually able to fully and thoroughly test ****, they throw in another toy. Sorry to rain your parade, Cryptic, but you definitely need to have a look at your priorities.

It's a cool feature, there just are more urgent matters to attend to. If you were still in school, teachers would have told you something like "sit, F, missed the subject".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
05-28-2010, 05:53 AM
Loving the tool except that I find I can easily enter any fleet's private chats.
Now my fleet as most that are serious will be using ventrillo or other client but I think you may get some angry fleets down the road.
I am supposing that these fleets are not using passwords , however I have no way of knowing if pass-worded chats channels show at this time on the room list. has anyone verified this?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
05-28-2010, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseBlutstroemen
Oh great. Instead of finally giving us vendors that sell all the stuff so we're actually able to fully and thoroughly test ****, they throw in another toy. Sorry to rain your parade, Cryptic, but you definitely need to have a look at your priorities.

It's a cool feature, there just are more urgent matters to attend to. If you were still in school, teachers would have told you something like "sit, F, missed the subject".
I believe it was stated that they have been using this for interoffice communication and that they were extending it to us to help test for future implementation.

You must realize that NO new MMO releases a complete game as was intended from launch these days, you get out what you can by the deadline and do the best you can with the rest that's become a norm yes? Our Devs are doing a good job, and keeping us informed. They could just take our $$$ and let the hardcore fanboys pay the bill.

Didn't mean to mini rant just thought a complaint on a feedback thread was silly trollish thing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
05-28-2010, 06:04 AM
i would like the to be able to login to my actual fleet channel
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
05-28-2010, 06:11 AM
Ok I finally managed to understand how to "join" the MUC version of TTS and have the server (which is definitely is a self-coded implementation and not ejabberd) accept my presence for it.

While the concept is good.

Your xmpp implementation for it is totally un-standard/wrong and will cause a lot of hassles with most xmpp clients out there and since I'm kind of knowledgeable on the matter I'll explain you why:

1) In your implementation the server to accept the presence stanza required to join the MUC for the in-game channels require the Nickname supplied to be exactly equal as the In-Game handle. I dunno if this is some sort of security measure but it seems a bit useless (see below) and believe me if you don't explain that throughly you'll find yourself cluttered in support requests.
2) In-Game someone talking from the xmpp service is tagged as: "Resource-Name@Handle". Now if you made it so we are unable to change the nickname with the MUC join presence stanza. You must be aware that it's very easy to do so client wise modifying the resource name. Perhaps I don't see the point of not using the "XEP" compliant way of it ^^.
3) I'm very happy that you want to use XMPP to allow out-of-game "in-game communication" accessing, but making your self-implementation fully compliant to the standard is always the best choice.

+1 Though and hope you accept my feedback as a positive one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
05-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Well apparently you can not enter Guild chats yet, and so far every room I attempted to join while not in game were all non pass-worded as long as there is an option to have a secure chat channel in game and this is not breaching anyone's security this could be a good thing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
05-28-2010, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Diamonds
1) In your implementation the server to accept the presence stanza required to join the MUC for the in-game channels require the Nickname supplied to be exactly equal as the In-Game handle. I dunno if this is some sort of security measure but it seems a bit useless (see below) and believe me if you don't explain that throughly you'll find yourself cluttered in support requests.
Unsurprising and explicitly allowed by the specification. Also supported fine by pidgin, and should work with any client that implements the optional reserved nickname features.

Quote:
2) In-Game someone talking from the xmpp service is tagged as: "Resource-Name@Handle". Now if you made it so we are unable to change the nickname with the MUC join presence stanza. You must be aware that it's very easy to do so client wise modifying the resource name.
They must indeed be aware of it, seeing as how it's documented in the OP.

This isn't something covered by any specification.

No compliance issues here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
05-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
Unsurprising and explicitly allowed by the specification. Also supported fine by pidgin, and should work with any client that implements the optional reserved nickname features.



They must indeed be aware of it, seeing as how it's documented in the OP.

This isn't something covered by any specification.

No compliance issues here.
EDIT: The problem is I don't get status codes back when I input a different nick from the handle, but I'll have to check throughly about the compliance, talking with a few people about it.

EDIT: Removed about the Nick reservation, even because It's what isn't happening and should happen which is why I didn't see any "sign" of it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
05-28-2010, 06:59 AM
EDIT: Useless as there was a bug in the XMPP service presence stanza handling with Self-Presence. Miiru submitted the bug report.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 PM.