Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I know that there are two camps when it comes to character slots in MMO's.

1.) These are the ones that are happy with what the devs give them. They may prove that other games have less slots than the games the other camp mentions and are doing fine. The danger here is that if there are enough players that keep paying the monthly fee along with the extra in the store for more slots. The developers will keep starting their next games with the insanely low number of free slots.

Things could get worst. The devs of the future games may try lowering that amount to only one or none at all. This low amount of character slots with purchasing more in the C-Store could be a foot in the door. Where one day you would go to play a new pay to play MMO and everything from the game about $60. You find out that you will have to pay just to have three starting characters about $10. Next no free one month with your purchase of the game. About $15 maybe more for the first month of subscription.

If you add no free updates then every year you could be spending hundreds of dollars more than what we are today with most MMO's. Give a person an inch and they will in time take a mile. Then those of this camp says it takes alot of space to store the information of a single character. Until a dev comes here and posts just how much space is needed this is something that is not able to be proven. Okay then they say you have three classes why do you want more than three slots.

2.) These are the ones that just are not satisfied with the starting slots that a game gives them. They want more, because they want to try different things without deleting a character or respecing it. They would want to try playing other races as classes that would not normally be fitting for that race. They may want to use differnt builds for different ships.

Those of the other camp may want to play as different races without having to delete their characters or pay for more because they are well aware of the potiential dangers spoken of earlier. Plus they are paying to play so they figure why must they pay even more then their monthly fee. Sure they would understand if this were a free to play game with a store.

Wijth infinite possibilities of building a character, ship, crew and the rest. There are those that want to try all of the ideas that are just flowing through their heads. Then they see the low number of slots and some are turned off and never play past the first month.

While I am all for a company making money because that is what Crptic or any other company is all about. I am not for unchecked greed.

So Cryptic please give us a different way of getting more slots. You could make it where you would give one free slot for every max level character you have on your account like Champions Online. You could make it a vet reward for so many months of active subscription time.

In my humble opinion the ones that are still playing MMO's are the ones that have more than a few character slots per server. If a player does everything he wants with one character and there is nothing to do then they will say bye. In order to hold players you have to give them plenty of things to do with their characters.

BTW: People their first game Champions started with only eight slots. This three, see any pattern people. I surely do. The pattern that could be developing is one that merges both a subscription pay to play with a free to play model. Trying to milk as much money as they can from their players. In my humble opinion I feel that the pay to play model and the free to play model should've never been brought together.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Whaa whaa whaa! You want more slots, buy a second subscription.

Which is better, two slots for $6 once, or 2 slots for for $15 a month?

Be happy they even gave you the option. Each slot costs real resources on their server, until they are the size of Wow (which they never intend to be), they aren't gonna just give them out willy nilly.

And why do you need so many anyway? You can experience almost all the gameplay mechanics with just two. One in each faction, you can swap ships at any time, and with different kits and BOFFS you can experiences all the classes and different skills.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-28-2010, 06:15 AM
There are 3 slots because there are 3 classes in the game. Like the previous poster mentioned, it's only 6 bucks for an additional 2. I have 9 in total. Some of the additional ship skins are worth the extra purchase too. Why should it offend you if Cryptic wants to make money from the game they made? They're in business to make money not provide a social service.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
05-28-2010, 06:20 AM
I thought Champions started with four slots? I know it had 8 in beta, but I was pretty sure they changed that.

I understand where you're coming from. As something of an altoholic myself, my feeling is the more slots the better. imho, playing alts is simply an alternative to playing end game content in MMOs. It's a different playstyle, if you will.

That said, while I'd like to see more slots opened up, I used the free Cryptic Points that came with my DDE and some left over points from CO to buy four extra slots the last time they had a C-Store sale, so I have 7 slots atm (8 when Vet Rewards kick in). It was something I wanted, so I didn't mind shelling out a couple of bucks for it.

But three slots is a low starting number, especially since there is a skill cap (which I am in favor of). I'd like to see it opened up for 4 or 5, myself. Maybe 4 + 1 unlocked when Klingons are unlocked? By the time you add in the firt 100 day Vet reward you're up to 6 slots on an account.

But, again, that's a preference. The current limitations aren't enough to make me quite the game. As for future MMOs? It's quite possible that what you're afraid of will happen. We'll have to see what the market can handle, I guess. =/
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
05-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulicqel View Post
Whaa whaa whaa! You want more slots, buy a second subscription.

Which is better, two slots for $6 once, or 2 slots for for $15 a month?

Be happy they even gave you the option. Each slot costs real resources on their server, until they are the size of Wow (which they never intend to be), they aren't gonna just give them out willy nilly.

And why do you need so many anyway? You can experience almost all the gameplay mechanics with just two. One in each faction, you can swap ships at any time, and with different kits and BOFFS you can experiences all the classes and different skills.
What works for you doesn't work for the next person. You should really cut the attitude against those that wish to make changes or improvements. This is the purpose of this forum, not to mock others or make brash remarks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
05-28-2010, 08:14 AM
And healthcare should be free, and there should be chicken in every pot. And a car in every driveway.

But Cryptic is a business, first and foremost. While yes, it would be nice to have as many slots as you like, there are real consequences to providing that. Whether you believe it or not, it does take real resources (read $$$) to manage all that data, be it the physical disk and server space, to design work by a DBA to maintain and design the database, to the software guy implementing it. They all have wives and kids to feed too. And there is a finite number of resources available at Cryptic.

So while your right, I don't personally understand the need for many alts besides 1, given the choices of 'Have Cryptic spend time giving me slots, so I can play the same content over and over again in different ways' or 'Have Cryptic spend time making new gameplay mechanics and content so I have something totally different to do', content is gonna win every time.

And they've given you plenty of options as to how to get more slots. Buy them with points, or if you're so staunchly against giving them more money, use your free points from the surveys and buy it during one of these sales weekends.

While yes, they are here to provide us with fun times, that comes in second to being a business. We haven't reached the 24th century and their evolved sensibilities . . .yet
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
05-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krankman
There are 3 slots because there are 3 classes in the game.
Following that logic, there should be six free slots then since there are 3 classes and 2 factions.

3 is a bit light for a MMO. I don't mind paying for extra character slots so long as when new factions are added, they grant a free character slot or three.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
05-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulicqel View Post
And healthcare should be free, and there should be chicken in every pot. And a car in every driveway.

But Cryptic is a business, first and foremost. While yes, it would be nice to have as many slots as you like, there are real consequences to providing that. Whether you believe it or not, it does take real resources (read $$$) to manage all that data, be it the physical disk and server space, to design work by a DBA to maintain and design the database, to the software guy implementing it. They all have wives and kids to feed too. And there is a finite number of resources available at Cryptic.

So while your right, I don't personally understand the need for many alts besides 1, given the choices of 'Have Cryptic spend time giving me slots, so I can play the same content over and over again in different ways' or 'Have Cryptic spend time making new gameplay mechanics and content so I have something totally different to do', content is gonna win every time.

And they've given you plenty of options as to how to get more slots. Buy them with points, or if you're so staunchly against giving them more money, use your free points from the surveys and buy it during one of these sales weekends.

While yes, they are here to provide us with fun times, that comes in second to being a business. We haven't reached the 24th century and their evolved sensibilities . . .yet
If I follow your logic completely then you would not mind if the following were true. Let's say this is a new MMO and you are interested in playing. But since they are there to make money first and foremost, fun and social scene is second class. Here is what could happen.

They say in their promotions that they are there solely to make money. So no more free rides. Here nothing at all is free. Each thing that they do you will have to pay for.

1.) Cost of game $30.
2.) Monthly maintenance fee $5 per month
3.) Patches for bug fixes $5-$15 per patch.
4.) $10-$20 for new updates.
5.) Maybe even a $5-$10 per month for being able to post on the forums.
6.) Since nothing would be free then there would be no free month with the purchase then your first month you would have to pay for or maybe have to pay for two months. Which would be $15 a month.
7.) Since nothing is free you would have to pay $10 for your first three character slots.
8.) $1 per month for every character you have on the server (s)

This is all based on everything having a seperate fee. Also based on current MMO prices (STO). With this in mind you could easily be spending $80+ just to be able to start playing with all of the same content/bug fixes, ...etc as the rest. If you are fine with that good for you. But I believe that there are those that would not like that at all and would not even give that game the time of day. It would stay sitting on the shelf.

They would also never make a disc like City of Heroes/Villains where that disc would have the game plus some of the free issues that were released when that disc was made. Remember nothing is free.

Fees in 2, 5 and 8 would be a must or your account would become inactive.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
05-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Slots are on sale and you should have 500 points ( most retail if not all come with 500 points ) also other games forced me to pay 15 a month for more slots. ( SWG was the worst, with only two slots per server ) but here i did not have to pay for another copy of the game nor did I have to pay for another account. 6 bucks ( around 5 bucks this week end ) and i now how a total of 5 slots. ( best part was I bought them with the free points. ) sure the slots could be more, but at least they offer a much better deal then any other MMO that I have seen. ( granted I have not checked out every mmo so that is my opinion. )
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
05-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloomWalker View Post
If I follow your logic completely then you would not mind if the following were true. Let's say this is a new MMO and you are interested in playing. But since they are there to make money first and foremost, fun and social scene is second class. Here is what could happen.

They say in their promotions that they are there solely to make money. So no more free rides. Here nothing at all is free. Each thing that they do you will have to pay for.

1.) Cost of game $30.
2.) Monthly maintenance fee $5 per month
3.) Patches for bug fixes $5-$15 per patch.
4.) $10-$20 for new updates.
5.) Maybe even a $5-$10 per month for being able to post on the forums.
6.) Since nothing would be free then there would be no free month with the purchase then your first month you would have to pay for or maybe have to pay for two months. Which would be $15 a month.
7.) Since nothing is free you would have to pay $10 for your first three character slots.
8.) $1 per month for every character you have on the server (s)

This is all based on everything having a seperate fee. Also based on current MMO prices (STO). With this in mind you could easily be spending $80+ just to be able to start playing with all of the same content/bug fixes, ...etc as the rest. If you are fine with that good for you. But I believe that there are those that would not like that at all and would not even give that game the time of day. It would stay sitting on the shelf.

They would also never make a disc like City of Heroes/Villains where that disc would have the game plus some of the free issues that were released when that disc was made. Remember nothing is free.

Fees in 2, 5 and 8 would be a must or your account would become inactive.
And you and everyone else has the CHOICE to pay and play or not. If they can't get enough people to pay then the company goes under....IE they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Companies know this, if they push that model too far they lose subscribers/players so they don't make money.

Someone said that 3 slots is light for an MMO. Light compared to what? WoW? yes SWG? you actually have more slots here and before NGE you only had ONE slot per account. LotRO? started with 5 and now is up to 9. DDO? Don't remember what they started with, F2P is limited to 2 slots for free, premium is 4 slots, sub is 10. So really it's all relative.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44 PM.