Lt. Commander
# 11
05-28-2010, 09:39 PM
If you're really desperate for more slots and don't want to pay for them, you can always play on Tribble.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I have a year sub so I believe I have 5 spots. I can buy yet another 2. :O

I've only used 3. Of those only 1 is max level and the others are really low.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-29-2010, 01:13 AM
You have your free 500 cryptic points to spend with.

You can play addition test characters on Tribble Test Shard.

You can buy more cryptic points.

You can opt for lifetime sub or yearly sub to get more slots.

If you achieve one of the "veteran" status, you get a free character slot.

Even I'm hard pressed to use my character slots, currently using 3 out of 7 actively .
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-29-2010, 01:56 AM
I can't belive this thread....

Can I offer my firstborn for a REAL starship?
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amonaug
And you and everyone else has the CHOICE to pay and play or not. If they can't get enough people to pay then the company goes under....IE they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Companies know this, if they push that model too far they lose subscribers/players so they don't make money.

Someone said that 3 slots is light for an MMO. Light compared to what? WoW? yes SWG? you actually have more slots here and before NGE you only had ONE slot per account. LotRO? started with 5 and now is up to 9. DDO? Don't remember what they started with, F2P is limited to 2 slots for free, premium is 4 slots, sub is 10. So really it's all relative.
While this statement is true you miss one important point. I need to clear it up I see. What I mentioned would take time. How long is unknown, but it could happen. If a company like Cryptic sees that this model is successful. Then they will try to see what they could get away with that would milk us their players for more money. Decades ago banks did not have alot of their services were for free. They made their money by using the money their customers gave them to keep safe. Banks got greedy and tacked on a lot of fees.

Your last sentence says this 3 slots is closer to what most F2P MMO's start with. The pattern is that MMO companies are trying to find a way (in time) where they can make their players pay subscriptions. But have all of the extra charges (in game store) that F2P games have.
Lt. Commander
I understand having to pay for more slots. It takes up space on the Cryptic server and if I don't want to delete older characters then it's fair for Cryptic to ask for an offset.

However, if I'm paying for the slots I should be able to play any character or species. Making me pay for a new slot and then making me pay for a new species to put in it....that's gouging.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-29-2010, 07:33 AM
500 points? I never got 500 points. Only the 240 for filling out the survey. I bought the Gamestop CE.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-29-2010, 07:43 AM
I have to ask. How many that complain about having to pay for more character slots have a gaming hobby like Pen & paper Dungeons & Dragons, miniatures, etc? Do you buy more miniatures, expansions, modules, rules books? If so then why should an online MMO be much different?
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloomWalker View Post
The developers will keep starting their next games with the insanely low number of free slots.
Things could get worst. The devs of the future games may try lowering that amount to only one or none at all
Seriously?! this is your argument? seriously?

You want us to believe that lack of character slots. Will become a driving trend and be the doom of MMO's. STO is actually bucking this trend, by allowing potentially dozens of slots, but for a small one time fee. Instead of a fixed number. Or, more likely, this entire line of thought is intellectual tripe, and needs to be ignored as such.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson_Garrett View Post
What works for you doesn't work for the next person. You should really cut the attitude against those that wish to make changes or improvements. This is the purpose of this forum, not to mock others or make brash remarks.
you must be new to game forums