Lt. Commander
Okay I understand that they are trying to provide more aspects to the game. I totally agree with ship damages, but in star trek the only injuries that you see are major ones caused by unknown aliens and viruses. So it doesn't make any sense that our characters can get broken bones or some thing similar and the only way to heal them is through regenerators or any type of special item. It should be like the show where they go to the doctor and the doctor treats them in one scene.

Does any one have a suggestion as to whether this injury feature should be taken out and if so what should replace it.

For replacement I think there should be a morale system for every character. The characters would fight better or preform better with high morale worse with low and normal with medium morale.

On how to keep morale up they should make use of the doors on the bridge. You should be able to go to the turbolift and select to go to either 10 forward for drinks and mini games like 3d chess, or go to the holodecks for holodeck missions. When you get to either place just like beaming down you can "call for reinforcements" but in this case it would be "call for companions" and select which of your officers you would like to join you to boost their morale.
Now these are just the basics but this can be taken much farther. If you want to leave in the injuries, add a turbolift function to sick bay where you can see the officer that you assigned to chief medical officer. That officer then can heal any ailments. Also this gives opportunity that when you are in a fleet in sector space you can invite other captains to view your bridge (cryptic this gives us reason to spend money on our bridge packs) and have drinks in 10 forward and go on holodeck missions together.

Theres six other things that i can add to this that would make the game much longer and much more interesting but that would take a while and I wanna play the game so ttyl
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-28-2010, 07:40 AM
I like it. It works well enough. If you don't, there's an easy way to make sure it doesn't happen to you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-28-2010, 08:01 AM
yes it was a great idea

they have a x ray machine thng that scans your character or crew

and you have to fix them or they have like "crtical internal bleeding" and stuff

great addition, adds new graphics and a new layer
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-28-2010, 08:07 AM
I love the new injury system, it's brilliant!

Your idea sounds like a Tamagotchi.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-28-2010, 08:11 AM
I love it! My only gripe is that they never die, no matter how critical the injury is. Adding the risk of losing an officer due to death could bring out a whole lot more options, like funerals, memorials, ready room decoration, bringing them back to life, in a Spock kinda way. Hell I could even plan their death.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AramisThorne
Okay I understand that they are trying to provide more aspects to the game. I totally agree with ship damages, but in star trek the only injuries that you see are major ones cause by unknown aliens and viruses. So it doesn't make and sense that our characters can get broken bones or some thing similar and the only way to heal them is through regenerators or any type of special item. It should be like the show where they go to the doctor and the doctor treats them in one scene.

Does any one have a suggestion as to whether this injury feature should be taken out and if so what should replace it.

For replacement I think there should be a morale system for every character. The characters would fight better or preform better with high morale worse with low and normal with medium morale.

On how to keep morale up they should make use of the doors on the bridge. You should be able to go to the turbolift and select to go to either 10 forward for drinks and mini games like 3d chess, or go to the holodecks for holodeck missions. When you get to either place just like beaming down you can "call for reinforcements" but in this case it would be "call for companions" and select which of your officers you would like to join you to boost their morale.
Now these are just the basics but this can be taken much farther. If you want to leave in the injuries, add a turbolift function to sick bay where you can see the officer that you assigned to chief medical officer. That officer then can heal any ailments. Also this gives opportunity that when you are in a fleet in sector space you can invite other captains to view your bridge (cryptic this gives us reason to spend money on our bridge packs) and have drinks in 10 forward and go on holodeck missions together.

Theres six other things that i can add to this that would make the game much longer and much more interesting but that would take a while and I wanna play the game so ttyl
The game needs a death penalty, just like every other MMO worth its salt has. I hate time sink that take you out of action, and make you have to go around getting "healed" or waiting for some debuff to expire before getting back into the action.

What they need to do is make it so all of the rewards you get for a mission are put into some sort of "holder" through the course of the mission's current phase. This would include experience gain and loot. You should get NONE of it until you complete the the phase. If you die, any enemies you may have killed will respawn, (they beam in on the ground and drop out of warp in space), and the "contents" of the "holder" resets. You get respawned at the current phase's spawn point and can try again.

Under this system, you cannot know what is in the "holder" until the mission completes, so technically you will not have lost anything because you never really had it.

Now Damage and injuries need to stay, but they would reset with everything else when you die. If you survive, they are a factor that needs to be dealt with. So you'd still want to stay stocked up on components and such to deal with it.

On ground missions with multiple phases, there should be checkpoints for each phase completion. There should be a container that becomes interactable and scannable where any loot you might have earned during the phase would be placed. You get any intangible rewards like skill points and such immediately upon completing the phase, but you might have to look around or scan for the container.

In space, it would work the same way. If the current phase is combat-related, The lootable item container that is presently used would spawn where the last enemy ship was destroyed, and it can be detected by scanning. If the current phase's final objective is hailing the planet or another ship, then the person you talk to might have a dialogue option about salvaged materials.

That would be how I would handle the game's death penalty... Setbacks without delays. And each phase becomes a "let me try that again" thing rather than a "I'll just keep zerging 'em 'til I kill 'em all" thing.
Lt. Commander
# 7 One of the Few
05-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Yes STO dose do something right. It is one of the few things they did right.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Actually, in Star Trek, you see sprained ankles, broken legs, broken arms, phaser burns... the list goes on.

The injury/damage system is great, I think Cryptic did a good job on this one.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-28-2010, 10:11 AM
I think it is an elegant solution. Technically it is not a death penalty but it carries with it much of the feel of a death penalty. The injury system is a brilliantly creative solution to a difficult problem. Nothing about it should change.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
I think it is an elegant solution. Technically it is not a death penalty but it carries with it much of the feel of a death penalty. The injury system is a brilliantly creative solution to a difficult problem. Nothing about it should change.
Agreed. Although, it's not really that much of a penalty. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing it as a mandatory thing, but the severity goes up as the difficulty scales.