Lt. Commander
# 11
05-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AramisThorne
Okay I understand that they are trying to provide more aspects to the game. I totally agree with ship damages, but in star trek the only injuries that you see are major ones caused by unknown aliens and viruses. So it doesn't make any sense that our characters can get broken bones or some thing similar and the only way to heal them is through regenerators or any type of special item. It should be like the show where they go to the doctor and the doctor treats them in one scene.

Does any one have a suggestion as to whether this injury feature should be taken out and if so what should replace it.

For replacement I think there should be a morale system for every character. The characters would fight better or preform better with high morale worse with low and normal with medium morale.

On how to keep morale up they should make use of the doors on the bridge. You should be able to go to the turbolift and select to go to either 10 forward for drinks and mini games like 3d chess, or go to the holodecks for holodeck missions. When you get to either place just like beaming down you can "call for reinforcements" but in this case it would be "call for companions" and select which of your officers you would like to join you to boost their morale.
Now these are just the basics but this can be taken much farther. If you want to leave in the injuries, add a turbolift function to sick bay where you can see the officer that you assigned to chief medical officer. That officer then can heal any ailments. Also this gives opportunity that when you are in a fleet in sector space you can invite other captains to view your bridge (cryptic this gives us reason to spend money on our bridge packs) and have drinks in 10 forward and go on holodeck missions together.

Theres six other things that i can add to this that would make the game much longer and much more interesting but that would take a while and I wanna play the game so ttyl
ship and item decay apon death. Integrity points on items.

For ships set a set amount of total hit points, every time your ship gets blown up, you lose a small portion of the hulls integrity. as long as you dont die, your fine, but go boom? down with integrity points.

On ship components and consoles and character items even, same thing, have set values for those and lose a small amount of integrity points on them apon death.

This will help stimulate the market and give players more reason to buy and sell items while adding a little risk vs reward, should also allow for reason towards replayable missions. Not to mention, use some of the large amounts of credits and other currencies that otherwise just sit there and never go down the sinc.

with the sidekick system coming in, this could work very well.

as for the injury system, I was very much for losing crew and having to replace them at a starbase, as for injuries, im fine with that too, however, I dont think you create an npc and allow the npc to heal those injuries, I htink you give that ability to the players.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjiru View Post
Agreed. Although, it's not really that much of a penalty. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing it as a mandatory thing, but the severity goes up as the difficulty scales.
Cryptic stated from the beginning that the DP would be optional. a LOT of people were REALLY upset by it being mandatory. I like the way it is set up now. I play on advanced or elite only (unless I am teaming) but I would never want to inflict my preferences on someone else. That's a bit of hate going on there. Let people have their mayonnaise on white bread if they want. I'll take the stake burger and cheese fries.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Cryptic stated from the beginning that the DP would be optional. a LOT of people were REALLY upset by it being mandatory. I like the way it is set up now. I play on advanced or elite only (unless I am teaming) but I would never want to inflict my preferences on someone else. That's a bit of hate going on there. Let people have their mayonnaise on white bread if they want. I'll take the stake burger and cheese fries.
Cryptic is too much of a pushover on this issue. I will admit that some of the proposed DPs were ridiculously steep. But something like what I proposed could have been applied across the board as mandatory without stirring up too much trouble, except for those few loud-mouthed screaming crybabys who actually want an I win button.

The biggest argument for the DP was the fact that players could just keep zerging enemy squadrons in space and squads on the ground, whittling down the numbers each zerg until finally they win...

A real game has winners and losers. Those who lose must try again.

I wonder what the super bowl would be like if you team members who get tackled get removed from the game until there's nobody on the other team left on the field, letting someone just stroll across carrying the football for a touchdown... That would be pretty bloody boring.

Well, that's the way the STO zerg fest was.

Like I said, I think Cryptic took the panzy path with how they handled the DP. But that is just my opinion. What does it matter, really. They did what they did, and it's likely that it's the best we'll get out of them on the issue.

Oh, and before anyone calls me a hardcore player who just wants to keep the casual gamers down, I AM A CASUAL PLAYER. I play a couple of days a week, for only a couple of hours. But I don't want a game with a freaking I WIN button. I like games with CHALLENGE. And if I don't win durring one play session, then oh well... Better luck next time. It keeps me coming back.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Oh, I'm not saying that it should be mandatory, just that I wouldn't mind. I really try to never speak for other folks, unless they've personally told me their preference.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Nope. Only had one or two 'major' injuries.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Cryptic is too much of a pushover on this issue. I will admit that some of the proposed DPs were ridiculously steep. But something like what I proposed could have been applied across the board as mandatory without stirring up too much trouble, except for those few loud-mouthed screaming crybabys who actually want an I win button.
have a DP be manditory = lose more customers than they can afford and be accused of "bad faith" practices.

Offer an optional solution = losing next to no subs over it and be known for "good faith" practices.

They made the right decision all around. sorry to hear you don't agree. I'm glad for it. It supports a large share of the community's play style and keeps more people engaged. I agree with the decision. It makes perfect sense to me.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Quote:
have a DP be manditory = lose more customers than they can afford and be accused of "bad faith" practices.
Every major MMO out there uses a DP and their subscriber base isn't quitting because of it.

Quote:
Offer an optional solution = losing next to no subs over it and be known for "good faith" practices.
And the people who end up opting out of the DP and retain their "I Win" button are among the ones complaining about how little content there is. When you can just zerg your way through without a care, of course you'll blow right through the content.

Quote:
They made the right decision all around. sorry to hear you don't agree. I'm glad for it. It supports a large share of the community's play style and keeps more people engaged. I agree with the decision. It makes perfect sense to me.
This is a game. Games need rules. The rules need to apply to everyone, or else they are meaningless.
What next? Whenever an enemy hits us, are we going to get a prompt to opt out of taking damage? Why not? Those who want to get damaged can and those who don't won't have to. It's like PvE players who get mad if they get ganked when they enter a PvP zone... They don't want to be touched by PvP, but they want to go where the PvP is and not get hurt?

No... Cryptic did not choose the right path on this. Any time the player base can play by different case rules for the same system, the system becomes flawed. We were told that this was going to be a game first and foremost, and yet its a game without rules or consequences for those who never want to lose. These people are not really wanting a game. They want their own private little world where everything goes their way.

Read the DP solution I proposed. Tell me honestly that it's all that bad as a universal rule.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Its good It encourages pvp cause its not affected.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-29-2010, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Every major MMO out there uses a DP and their subscriber base isn't quitting because of it.
But they usually had the DP from the start. Not added in a patch later. So that point is moot?

Anyways... Not overly harsh and not overly dull either.
Best part of a DP is that its a reason to stay alive. Without it... Ehh... "I died and all I got was this t-shirt" kind of thing.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-29-2010, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
But they usually had the DP from the start. Not added in a patch later. So that point is moot?
Not really... Technically EVERYTHING this game should have had at launch is being added in a patch later, so it sort of still applies... Sort of...