Lt. Commander
# 1 Squad Support Coming Shortly!
05-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Hey All,

We've got a new feature coming, entitled "Squad Support" currently scheduled to release with Season 1.2.

Squad Support is a tool for grouping up with friends. It allows you to set your combat level to match your friends, so that you can easily play together.

Rewards are scaled appropriately, so using Squad Support will allow you to earn skillpoints and loot drops even though you're doing content that isn't in your level range!

FAQ

What will change when I turn on "Squad Support"?
  • Your HP, base damage, and healing ability will be scaled
  • Your equipment will be scaled, but the scaling will be transparent in the sense that you won't see any changes in your item names or the item stats
  • Similarly, your powers and Bridge Officer skills will be transparently scaled up or down

What about loot drops?
Enemy loot tables will not change, which means you can earn higher level loot by supporting your higher level friends!

Things you CAN DO using Squad Support:
  • Accept Secondary Missions outside your natural level and earn the appropriate rewards

Things you CANNOT DO using Squad Support:
  • Queue up for PVP outside your natural level
  • Accept Primary Missions and earn those rewards
  • Equip gear you don't naturally meet the requirements for
  • Enter Fleet Actions that are outside your natural level

Once I'm in Squad Support mode with a friend, do I need to stay near them?
Yes, you need to be with your friend for Squad Support to stay active.

How do I actually use this feature?
Each team has a Team Leader and a Squad Leader (they can be the same person).

Right click on the Squad Leader, and you'll see an option to "Support" them. Supporting them puts you into Squad Support mode, which sets your combat level to their level as long as it is enabled.

Is this feature live?
No, it's not live, however you can try it out on Tribble!
Skillpoint Math

The skillpoints you earn for killing critters in Squad Support mode are as follows:
  • Supporting a lower level player will not change the amount of SP you earn from killing critters
  • Supporting a higher level player will change the amount of SP you earn from killing critters

Skillpoint Math Logic:

Level of Skillpoints Earned For Killing a Critter = (Natural Level - Difference) where Difference = (Combat Level - Critter Level)
To keep it simple, just keep the following in mind: If you Support a higher level player, fighting mobs around the same level as your combat level, you'll get SP as if you were fighting critters your own level. If the critters are higher or lower than your combat level, the amount of SP you earn will go up or down accordingly.
Glossary:

Critter = Any enemy/mob/AI NPC that you can kill
Combat Level = Your "effective" level is Squad Support Mode

Can you use Squad Support to enter STFs above your level?
No, you will still need to meet the requirements naturally in order to enter an STF.
If your Squad Leader leaves while you're in an instance that you wouldn't have been enter normally, will you be kicked out?
Nope. While you'll be reverted to your natural level, you won't be forced to leave unless the group is disbanded.
Will your Bridge Officers gain access to higher level powers while using Squad Support mode?
No, however their current powers will scale in effectiveness where appropriate. Generally, this means that damage/healing values will increase or decrease based on the level difference.
WORK IN PROGRESS!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Huh?

Lt. Commander
# 3
05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Me and a friend Osias tried this system and LOVED IT

One note however I'd like to make - by staying close that means in the same instance. It's ok to go to another instance without them, you'll just revert back to your normal level
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Sounds great, I can't wait to see it! I do have a couple of questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDestra
Could you please define "near?" Same map? Within X metres?

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
One note however I'd like to make - by staying close that means in the same instance. It's ok to go to another instance without them, you'll just revert back to your normal level
Thank you, sir.

Quote:
Will it still be possible to join primary missions outside your level (joining a teammate who has accepted that mission) without earning the item rewards (skill points only)? I've always enjoyed doing that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-El
Sounds great, I can't wait to see it! I do have a couple of questions:

Could you please define "near?" Same map? Within X metres?

Edit:Thank you, sir.

Will it still be possible to join primary missions outside your level (joining a teammate who has accepted that mission) without earning the item rewards (skill points only)? I've always enjoyed doing that.
Yep! My friend was able to get RA5 missions and he's only a LT. As to your first question i answered that above
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Hey All,

We've got a new feature coming, entitled "Squad Support" currently scheduled to release with Season 1.2.

Squad Support is a tool for grouping up with friends. It allows you to set your effective level to match your friends, so that you can easily play together.

Rewards are scaled appropriately, so using Squad Support will allow you to earn skillpoints and loot drops even though you're doing content that isn't in your level range!

FAQ

What will change when I turn on "Squad Support"?
  • Your HP, base damage, and healing ability will be scaled
  • Your equipment will be scaled, but the scaling will be transparent in the sense that you won't see any changes in your item names or the item stats
  • Similarly, your powers and Bridge Officer skills will be transparently scaled up or down

What about loot drops?
Enemy loot tables will not change, which means you can earn higher level loot by supporting your higher level friends!

• Accept Secondary Missions outside your natural level and earn the appropriate rewards
  • Enter Fleet Actions that are outside your natural level

• Queue up for PVP outside your natural level
  • Equip gear you don't naturally meet the requirements for

How do I actually use this feature?
Each team has a Team Leader and a Squad Leader (they can be the same person).

Right click on the Squad Leader, and you'll see an option to "Support" them. Supporting them puts you into Squad Support mode, which sets your effective level to their level as long as it is enabled.

Is this feature live?
No, it's not live, however you can try it out on Tribble!
Questions in progress
  • How skillpoint rewards are calculated

WORK IN PROGRESS!
Hey, now your onto something guys good job.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-28-2010, 05:54 PM
AKA Sidekicking. Awesome!
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Most excellent! I liked a similar feature in CoV. This can be allot of fun for all concerned gj \m/,
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-28-2010, 06:32 PM
this is going to be great! finally i can play with my father without waiting for him to get higher level
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdabson
this is going to be great! finally i can play with my father without waiting for him to get higher level
both impressed and disturbed by this

wil STF`s be covered under the

* Accept Secondary Missions outside your natural level and earn the appropriate rewards
* Enter Fleet Actions that are outside your natural level bit ?

also will your new termprarily higher level boffs have access to their higher level skills i.e. an ensign boff using its commander skill ?
Closed Thread