Lt. Commander
Back in November, I posted this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyatt
My first computer gaming experience was... Star Trek!!! Back in 1979!!!

It was on the mainframe at Luther College in Iowa, where I was in a summer program. Anyone here remember entering coordinates on an amber screen, doing a long range scan, then printing out the ascii sector map on the dot matrix? I killed so many trees that summer... !
To which Armsman responded....

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsman
I can BEAT that - (46 here). I start player Star Trek on a HP 2000 mainframe back in 1975 (I was 12 and in Junior High) via a 100 Buad aucoustic modem connected to a teletype machine (We would have killed for an amber or monochrome CRT as it took said teletype 3 minutes to print out a short range sector scan on moving into a new Quadrant.) :eek

The program was named "STTR1"

Short range scans looked like this:

--------------
. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . E . . .
. . . . * . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. . . B . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . K .
. . R . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
--------------
Where:
E= 'USS Enterprise' (aka you in the game)

* = a star (you had a chance to make one go supernova by shooting a photon torpedo into it, and that would cause damage to anything in the sector - the closer the more damage a ship took (And you could take yourself out too)

B = Starbase
K = Klingon ship
R = Romulan ship (and they could cloak)

Long Range Scan looked like:
------------------
103 : 205 : 003
------------------
304 : 111 : 102
------------------
205 : 004 : 020
------------------

Where:
The 100's digit = Number of Klingon Ships in a sector
The 10's digit = Nuber of Starbases
The 1' digit = Number of Stars
And Romulans didn't show up on your LRS.

The middle number represent the sector you were currently sitting in. You could go up to Warp 8 and 1 WF moved you 1 quadrant. The 'Universe was 16X16 and you could ward into a sector 'blind' if you wanted. If you warped pst the edge of the map (and into the Galactic Barrier); you were thrown back into a random sector. Phasers auto locked on any ship in a sector; buit for phton torps you had to enter a vector and hope you figured corectly to hit your tarhget. Sisyems could go offline due to damage from Kingons and you went an docked with starnases to repair them, replenish your evergy (used for movement, shields, and phasers); and get more photon torpedoes - you started with 10. If your shields and energy reserve went below zero, you wer destryed and the game over. If you lost a system like long range sensors, you couldn't do a scan (like the above example until you went to a Starbase for repairs; or enginering told you they had repaired it (it was usually quicker to just go to a Starbase).

And again, everything was printed (very slowly too) on yellow paper via teletype.
(And in 1975, this WAS advanced computer technology)

Now, dammit you kids......GET OFF MY LAWN!
Thus stirring many memories, for more than myself....

Why bring this up?

Well, lookee what I found!!!

http://www.dunnington.u-net.com/public/startrek/STTR1

THERE'S a blast from the past!!!

Stand in awe of '70s programming, noobs!!!

Thanks much to Armsman to inspiring this!

PS, I dunno if linking will get me in trouble, but I can't seem to attach a file here... on the forums they specifically tell us to post art on...
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh man, I remember that game. Good times.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Anyone have an emulator for basic so I can run this beast of a program?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-30-2010, 06:05 PM
You guys beat me by a few years!

I was only 10 in 1979 and was in (as I recall) the first computer studies class my school ran.

In '81 I got my first computer - ZX81. The hours of fun I had saving my code to tape!

I had used a 'research' machine at school and remember having my break time computer usage privilages suspended for playing a game (very simple text based affair) - a big no no back then. I had aided a friend in writing the extremely simple game and we tried to justify playing it as 'testing' but the teachers would have non of it and deleted the game - saying that 'computers are for serious business not games' or something very similar.

Sadly, I forget the name of the research machine.

My first real 3D space game (as I suspect it was for many) was 'Elite' on the BBC micro. Such fun! So many 'wasted' hours!
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Any way you look at it. If you gre up in this era and had anything to do with computers, you just read that code and played the game in your head. Thanks for this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-30-2010, 07:33 PM
This program made a re-surgance in the late '80s as well. I use to play it on old TRS-80s and Tandy 1000's. Of course, I havn't programmed in BASIC since then, either, lol. So, no, not as old as some of you all, but old enough to remember this one, as well as the ever popular Oregon Trail. You die of dysentary. GAME OVER
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-30-2010, 07:39 PM
The days of when tubes were on their way out and soild state began to move in.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrano
This program made a re-surgance in the late '80s as well. I use to play it on old TRS-80s and Tandy 1000's. Of course, I havn't programmed in BASIC since then, either, lol. So, no, not as old as some of you all, but old enough to remember this one, as well as the ever popular Oregon Trail. You die of dysentary. GAME OVER
Heck, I still played it in '82 on my college's HP3000 mainframe... I think that damn game has existed on every computer that ran basic... ever...

And holy $&@#!!! Oregon Trail!!! I had such a love/hate relationship with that game....

Thank you for that memory!!