Lt. Commander
# 11
05-30-2010, 08:11 PM
How about this:

Remove sector space once ship interiors are completed and replace it with a more interactive system.

Step 1 to go anywhere: Go to the bridge of your ship (implement a quicktravel option to make this less painful)

Step 2 to go anywhere: Go to the helmsman's console to speak to your helmsman.

Step 3 to go anywhere: The helmsman pulls up a map for you, much like the current galaxy map and you pick where you want to go. This map also includes locations of spatial anomalies for you explorers, NPC roaming fleets for those that prefer defend the sector missions, or PvP groups spoiling for a fight.

Step 4 to go anywhere: The course is laid in, you say <insert catchy motivational phrase here> and off you go at warp speed.

Step 5 to go anywhere: You wait. You are traveling through space, which takes time, and it prevents you from whatever the devs cited as a reason to have sector space to begin with. The time to a destination would vary depending on how far away it is.

Step 5 1/2 to go anywhere (Optional): Well, looks like Crewman Jenkins from Security was messing with the demon summoning again/ holodeck rewiring/ bringing strange ectoplasmic creatures aboard, and someone has to deal with it. You have the option of taking care of it yourself with your loyal bridge officers at your side (go and fight or whatever) or you can throw redshirts at it like you were looking to create some abstract art with a meat grinder, a potato cannon, and some chickens(autoresolve).

Step 6 to go anywhere: You arrive at your destination maybe a little worse for the wear and do your business, when it's time to leave, repeat step 1.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usaretama View Post
How about this:

Remove sector space once ship interiors are completed and replace it with a more interactive system.

Step 1 to go anywhere: Go to the bridge of your ship (implement a quicktravel option to make this less painful)

Step 3 to go anywhere: The helmsman pulls up a map for you, much like the current galaxy map and you pick where you want to go. This map also includes locations of spatial anomalies for you explorers, NPC roaming fleets for those that prefer defend the sector missions, or PvP groups spoiling for a fight.

Step 4 to go anywhere: The course is laid in, you say <insert catchy motivational phrase here> and off you go at warp speed.

Step 5 to go anywhere: You wait. You are traveling through space, which takes time, and it prevents you from whatever the devs cited as a reason to have sector space to begin with. The time to a destination would vary depending on how far away it is.

Step 5 1/2 to go anywhere (Optional): Well, looks like Crewman Jenkins from Security was messing with the demon summoning again/ holodeck rewiring/ bringing strange ectoplasmic creatures aboard, and someone has to deal with it. You have the option of taking care of it yourself with your loyal bridge officers at your side (go and fight or whatever) or you can throw redshirts at it like you were looking to create some abstract art with a meat grinder, a potato cannon, and some chickens(autoresolve).

Step 6 to go anywhere: You arrive at your destination maybe a little worse for the wear and do your business, when it's time to leave, repeat step 1.
i like that idea...
100% signed
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileight View Post
IAnd would be nice to have some civilian type classes
I agree with this this
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:
How about this:

I found this really thought out and I like it
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Quote:
How about this:

Yes this is exactly the way I wanted it as well was told blah blah can't be done but it can and should be done this way, it is more star trek this way not the horrid TRON crap we are dealing with now.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Good thoughts, also

Sector space might look even better seen and driven through a functioning bridge. hint hint I know that has been mentioned many many times. Did they ever reply to those ideas either? I still cant sit in my captains chair lol
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
I think I might join Crewman Jenkins summoning Demons sounds like fun.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-31-2010, 12:26 AM
An old game ST Final Unity had what sounds similar to what Usaretama suggested.. when you were in space you were on your bridge and each console had a function. When you clicked on the helm a map of sector space would show up. You would plot your course, set the warp factor and engage. Time would pass and encounters or events would happen while traveling to the destination. If you crossed into the neutral zone, the computer would say "warning now entering the neutral zone" or "now entering Romulan space". Chances of an encounter with baddies that would blow you up would increase once you crossed over giving the neutral zones meaning.
Missions were engaging like puzzles and you would consult with your officers instead of taking orders from them, then you would make a command decision on what to do next. It was not a perfect game but it was a good ST experience considering it was a game from 1995.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpEwmAXcQFw
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-31-2010, 03:59 AM
I didn't mind the sector space colours until I hit Borg space and that luminous green is just hideous.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-31-2010, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryx_uk View Post
I didn't mind the sector space colours until I hit Borg space and that luminous green is just hideous.
Yeah the borg green with their symbol causes eyecancer... :p

I don't find sector sapce bad, since i see it as what is it, a 3d space map and not actual space, which many people think it is... :p
Closed Thread