Lt. Commander
# 21
05-31-2010, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
I don't find sector sapce bad, since i see it as what is it, a 3d space map and not actual space, which many people think it is... :p
/apply Hit >> Nail
{
on_head==1;
}

However, I'm sure something will be worked out for those that want to claustrophobic pilot their ship when it would ordinarily take a group of teams to even fly the thing properly.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-31-2010, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryx_uk View Post
I didn't mind the sector space colours until I hit Borg space and that luminous green is just hideous.

/win

/10char
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-31-2010, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynaverse View Post
Remove sector space its outright lame and takes away from the Star Trek experience.

Implement hyper impulse system where u can travel inside a solar system to moons and planets for mining purposes. Add a race that collects resources like Ferengi, and other merchant races who trade and influence the market in the galaxy.

Put transwarp ducts everywhere, remove and please remove sector space, its pointless and lame. Make it like eve online! Eve has the right idea, even with their new patch that allows planets to be colonized.

Allow groups of 20 not just 5... what is this bs?

When you warp to solar systems you do so by straight lining not zig zaging in a pointless 2d environment.. oh wait its 3d. ugh...
yeah Cryptic what are you thiinking?

Rewrite the entire game.

Lt. Commander
# 24
05-31-2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynaverse View Post
Remove sector space its outright lame and takes away from the Star Trek experience.

Implement hyper impulse system where u can travel inside a solar system to moons and planets for mining purposes. Add a race that collects resources like Ferengi, and other merchant races who trade and influence the market in the galaxy.

Put transwarp ducts everywhere, remove and please remove sector space, its pointless and lame. Make it like eve online! Eve has the right idea, even with their new patch that allows planets to be colonized.

Allow groups of 20 not just 5... what is this bs?

When you warp to solar systems you do so by straight lining not zig zaging in a pointless 2d environment.. oh wait its 3d. ugh...
I would have to agree, sector space is tragic....it would be far better to totally remove it, and replace it
with a destination based system.
you leave local space, pull up a destination...hit engage and you get a warping starfield effect with a
timer telling you when you will arrive.
go refill your cold drink while you wait.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-31-2010, 06:30 AM
I think anyone who believes watching starfields for 5-15 minutes won't get old quick and be less favorably received by non-trekkers/trekkies has probably ingested more substances than the cast and crew of Easy Rider during production.

Sector Space should be improved - no doubt. However, I don't believe it should be removed.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-31-2010, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usaretama View Post
prevents you from whatever the devs cited as a reason to have sector space to begin with.
The reason for sector space? Clearly: to keep you from having too much fun, too often!

Devs: If you don't do the boring, you can't have any fun. How can you have any fun if you don't do the boring?

Guild Wars got it right. Once you've traveled to a town/outpost, you can open up your map, click on that town/outpost, and poof! There you are, without having to repeat the entire freaking journey every freaking time you want to go there.

Pity we can't do that with (at least) Starbases.

Ah, but if we could do that, we'd miss out on all those lovely DSEs - the OTHER reason for Sector Space - and somebody on the dev team worked DAMN HARD to make those things JUST FOR US. You can truly feel the love every time you get pulled in while you are in the middle of trying to do something else, whether it be setting a course or allocating skill points or re-assigning Bridge Officers or dodging one Enemy Signal Contact only to be sideswiped by another.

It is joy incarnate and we should be down on our knees - our KNEES, I say - thanking the devs for DSEs. And Sector Space. Because if *everything* was fun - and we had nothing unfun for contrast - how would we know we were having fun? How could we truly appreciate it?
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-31-2010, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
I would have to agree, sector space is a tragic....it would be far better to totally remove it, and replace it
with a destination based system.
you leave local space, pull up a destination...hit engage and you get a warping starfield effect with a
timer telling you when you will arrive.
go refill your cold drink while you wait.
again eve -> this way
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-31-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
I don't find sector sapce bad, since i see it as what is it, a 3d space map and not actual space, which many people think it is... :p
If Sector Space is meant to be a 3D space map being generated by the ship's computer based on sensor data, we should receive ample warning from the *ship's computer* before an Enemy Signal Contact ever gets near enough to snag us. Instead, if we, personally, are not LOOKING AT THE 3D SPACE MAP EVERY SECOND OF THE JOURNEY (don't even blink!), our chances of being shanghaied by hostile forces are exceptionally high, because not only is the computer evidently incapable of giving us a non-visual warning, but the bridge crew is evidently too busy playing strip poker online with Tellarites to attend to their duties.

Not very IP-immersive, if you ask me.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-31-2010, 09:35 AM
Quote:
again eve -> this way
huh ? I said get rid of sector space not make it huge, filled with gankers

wow -> this way
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Yeah the borg green with their symbol causes eyecancer... :p

I agree. It's more of an interactive map, not a picture of the real ship driving through space.
Traveling everywhere INSTANTLY...also not the answer. Most of the MMOs I've played involve some kind of travel, the journey just needs to be more interesting. Otherwise you are just hopping from instance to instance and that wouldn't really be fun. Just come up with more creative things to do during the journey,(Better) random encounters, places to visit, etc. There should be places that are FAR OUT and take a LONG TIME to get too. Otherwise everyone would do it, and it would be easy.
Closed Thread