Lt. Commander
# 1 UGC - user generated content
05-31-2010, 10:51 AM
I am starting this thread so folks interested in using UGC to discuss it's possible forms and
what folks would really like to see in it.

As for me, I would suggest to cryptic a couple of general guildlines.

1. UGC is a PLAYER tool, not a developer tool. Keeping that in mind, what cryptic wants to
do with it is irrelevant, what the players want in it is absolutely relevant.
- Please maintain 100% transparency during its developement, NO surprises. Start a forum
section ONLY for that, take what the majority of the players want as absolute requirements
for success.

2. Do not restrict the tool to the point of being a mini-game or toy. Tough love here, the star trek
players and Trekies have something cryptic will never have. Unlimited creative resources.
Trekies can create more content in a week, than you can in a year..or two. Trust me, this game needs
it bad.....yes, there will need to be safeguards to stop 'crap' but it needs to be done
without killing creativity.

ok my 2 cents worth..

UGC -- discuss
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Here are some quotes you might be interested in:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=157999
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Here's a thread that might interest you too, it's trying to gain a "unified" forum consensus for the requirements of the tools.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-31-2010, 11:36 AM
UGC could be put out in a "system" setting of sorts. Here are my thoughts.

Cryptic would provide a tool. You would select the basis of the mission (Ground or space or combo of both). User would round out the details (mission type, difficulty, race (based on difficulty), etc.). Probably some other factors would be needed I am not thinking of. The system would fill in the rest and generate it.

Biggest issue I have with UGC is the extremes. Most UGC I have encountered is lopsided in the risk reward area. They either are powerlevel missions or so low in XP why bother. For the no xp side, tell me how effective a mission of you vs 100 battleships lined up would be?

What I think would rock is a fleet planet. Let a fleet populate the colony. Would be like a player town in other games. Could be a cookie cutter type setup, but would allow for a great gold sink.

Blakinik
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-31-2010, 11:37 AM
I think that I also have a thread around here somewhere about UGC.

How User Generated Content benefits Cryptic and Us

I highly recommend StarbasePrime's thread. He's done an excellent job of presenting a unified list of things that a UGC should have. Mine is more of an attempt to convince Cryptic to do it in the first place, along with a list of what things not to do.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Regardless, don't expect a lot when UGC is launched. Cryptic's M.O. seems to be getting a system in place and then fleshing it out. This also guards against being overzealous. It's easier to add content then take it away from a playerbase. Now go check out the aforementioned threads.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-31-2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiavul View Post
Regardless, don't expect a lot when UGC is launched. Cryptic's M.O. seems to be getting a system in place and then fleshing it out.
Well, that seems to be the MO of pretty much all MMO systems. That said, Cryptic's MO seems to be releasing systems before their finished
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-31-2010, 03:56 PM
here is one of the 'catch 22s' with UGC

If they allow the creators to assign rewards..........some folks with abuse it
If they allow ANY tangable awards to be connected with UGC.....some folks will figure out a way to abuse it

SO, most likely ANY UGC missions will be just for fun and maybe some loot drops that automatically
happen when you blow up enemy.

Trekies and RPers will love it.

PvPers, power gamers...ect. will hate it completely as a ...."waste of developemental resources"
because that can't farm it for uber loot or exp.

------ If cryptic can accept that and tune out the power player crowd.....cool

the point of this post here <<<<

expect UGC to be 'for fun only'

expect the power gamer crowd to try to bury it 6 feet under because they will not be allowed to farm it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-31-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
If they allow the creators to assign rewards..........some folks with abuse it
If they allow ANY tangable awards to be connected with UGC.....some folks will figure out a way to abuse it
That is not necessarily true. In SWG's system the mission creator could put an item(or items) from their own inventory as rewards in a mission, meaning that all that is happening is the item is going from one player to another. Of course, that only works for one person doing the mission, but if fleets want to create training missions for their members that is a good way to award them new gear.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-31-2010, 04:05 PM
I would bet the house on it !

if they allowed folks to assign awards...here is what happens day 1

folks advertising - free admiral rank - 15 minutes ! just 1 million energy credits !
and not just 1...hundreds

sorry Grand, but there is a reason why game cheat code books sell.....all games, including MMOs
are FULL of cheats.