Lt. Commander
# 21
06-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguehwz
I did not participate in the polls and I believe most gaming population( not subbed or otherwise not using forums as often), is not aware of it or it been a key decision for the 3rd faction.
That was your(and their) choice. However, the poll was advertised on the game launcher, so everyone playing at that time had an opportunity to vote, even if they failed to take it.

Quote:
But if you think about it, the gameplay mechanics for Romulans will be so similar to FED or KDF or "hybrid" of FED+KDF that it actually add little value into the STO universe.
And what faction do you think would have such drastically different mechanics that it would fit your personal defintion of "value"?
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-02-2010, 07:19 AM
If you do not have your settings properly set up for your browser, there is a solid chance that the advertisement never even shows up on the launcher.

Just like with the tribble server, if my browser is not set just right, I cannot even select the test server at all.
This is why we need an in-game message system for polls and perhaps a polling system in-game as well.

For WoW, Blizzard has an in-game message of the day setup and I think STO could benefit using such a system for their important game announcements as well.
Such as when you log in, right off the bat in your chat box it spams a cryptic message of the day (MOTD) telling everyone to be sure and go vote on their site and to check out the latest changes to tribble.

Every once in a while I see a gm or a dev come on and make some sort of announcement, but an in-game message of the day that hits people every time they log on would do wonders for keeping people informed and no one would have to worry about setting up their browser just right to see any advertisements.

When I see poll numbers and how low they are compared to the amount of subscribers there are suppose to be, I get curious if it is people that are just not interested in voting or are they just not seeing the advertisements due to browser related issues since the launcher looks to be tied in to it.

Not meaning to pick on anyone or anything like that, just wanted to draw attention to how the advertisements for the polls are done and how they might not be showing up for a lot of people.

Sorry for going too far off topic.
Have a good one everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-02-2010, 07:53 AM
A big thank you to the Cryptic devs for taking some time out to chat to us fleet guys, I know you're all very busy as it is.
My personal thanks also, to the Herald team on another outstanding edition.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathaway View Post
A big thank you to the Cryptic devs for taking some time out to chat to us fleet guys, I know you're all very busy as it is.
My personal thanks also, to the Herald team on another outstanding edition.
Outstanding Interview. Good Job {UFP}
Lt. Commander
# 25 Cloaking Device
06-02-2010, 09:20 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Q
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-02-2010, 09:26 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Q
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
But if you think about it, the gameplay mechanics for Romulans will be so similar to FED or KDF or "hybrid" of FED+KDF that it actually add little value into the STO universe.
One of the reasons for this being true is that there is not enough faction distinction. In STO, what's the difference between Fed and Klingon -- the ships you are flying around, and that's it. In my opinion this is just wrong. Feds and Klingons should have their own ships, technology, weapons, and skills. The factions need to be distinct other than just ships. This way when Romulans are added we'd have new ships, tech, weapons and skills.

Having said this, I'm not saying there should not be any overlap. Roms and Klingons can both cloak and just about anyone should be able to create a Gravity Well, though one faction may be able to produce superior results. For example, Romulans. Their starships are powered by a singlularity, so I would think they would have the tech to create a superior Gravity Well over the other factions.

PS. Let's not bring content disparity between Fed and Klingon into the discussion. Content disparity is a whole other animal.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galan_Vaurek
Point being all three of those ships are Federation ships, in canon series, and all three had cloaking (even the Pegasus had "real cloaking" it just had the added bonus of being able to phase too.) Have YOU seen the series? lol

And albeit the Defiant was a special case.. but it was a valid ship, not a one-off episode... not an 'alternate time-line vessel.' It was a regularly show ship piloted by Worf.

And, the Ent-D in that episode was in their attention enough for them to make the Ent-D from All Good Things the referral bonus (sans cloaking, Im sure...)

You can't say "in the past you haven't seen Federation ships cloak" when, obviously.. we have.

Saith
G_V
And with the U.S.S. Pegasus, you had Picard himself exposing the ytreaty violation in FRONT of a Romulan bird of prey; and arresting the Admiral and reportinhg his confederates to Starfleet Command. The point here is: If the 24th Century Federation wanted to implement and continue research into cloaking tech, I doubt Picard woould have done all this so blatently.

For someone who likes to call others out for 'not watching Star Trek' - you might want to rewatch TNG's The Pegasus yourself. As for the AGTR Galaxy Class, there's more then just the cloak that causes canon/continuity issues, there's also Riker's line: "Take us back to Federation space, ahaead warp 14; so in addition to the cloack, IF the Devs want to stick to AGT continuity, it would also have to be way faster in sector space then any other ship in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Even canon can contradict itself, as all us regular Trek fans know... and often lament.
I'd largely agree with Alexraptor though that the ships mentioned are very much the exception. Ent-D alternate timeline can be ignored as it never really happened... Pegasus they got a slap on the wrist for trying, and the Defiant didn't have a Federation cloak but rather a borrowed Romulan one, under strict usage (which they ignored of course ).
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-02-2010, 10:47 AM
I wonder when folks will stop beeing so nitpicking on every detail....

It was a good read overall...

No! Lets find something to nitpick! Just something... and if its even a small thing... beeing a pain in the butt is fun