Lt. Commander
# 1 Universal Fed BOs at CDR.
06-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I apologize if this has already been posted. I believe this is my first visit to this part of the forums.

After playing my Klingon again this past weekend I finally realized the Klingons BOs on the BoP are universal. They can take any career path BO station. Actually, I think it is the BO positions/stations that are universal.

This got me thinking. I then remember in "Thine Own Self" of ST:TNG Deanna Troi was promoted to CDR. This was a requirement to be a bridge officer. She had discussed with Bev that Bev didn't need CDR to be CMO. Bev said she wanted to be a BO.

After this, and some other episodes through all series, it made realize part of being a BO is to be able to perform at any position on the bridge.

Lt Uhura is a prime example of this. I don't have the episode of the top of my head right now but I remember once the NAV position was empty after some incident that banged up the bridge. Spock took NAV at first and the Lt Uhura replaced him.

I have also seen where the various positions on the Enterprise-D could fulfill the same tasks. I am only going to use the task of communications. I have seen various BO positions act as communications.

I also believe the Captain could do many tasks for his Captain's Chair and Wil and Deanna could also, from their consoles.

This begs the question: Shouldn't the Federation have universal BOs and/or universal BO positions/stations?

I hope I have my info and logic correct.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-02-2010, 01:12 PM
No.

Thank you for coming :-)