Lt. Commander
# 11
06-04-2010, 08:10 AM
The best matches are when you have a premade team versus a premade team. When everyone is supporting each other, then there is not a big problem with exposes/holds/rifle butt. When teamwork is involved, then the fights last longer and are more fun. In my opinion, it all depends on having a SCIENCE officer who is healing the team. Whether or not you have a medic will make or break the match (unless you are a bunch of engineers).

Here are some good examples of teams sticking together both of the Fed and Klingon sides.

Part 1 and 2 of a healer on each team. Each fight is drawn out because of the medic (barely any "instakills"), so people stay alive longer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgst9WL4MVY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woAy2d4vA6E

Here is a video of a team that puts up a very coordinated fight, but ultimately lost because they didn't have enough heals. Notice how skilled everyone is in avoiding rifle butt (as in, they're constantly moving away from enemies and giving themselves breathing space).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE5GU3Lbux4
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
With the addition of Accolades, you would think there would be more people playing ground PvP, but apparently it's as dry as a desert.

Even more fun, being trapped in the zone with the new lock out, until someone happens to drop in.

Anyhow, anyone got suggestions what Cryptic needs to do, so more play it? Better rewards?
not true!
You can be spawn camped in Ker'rat all day long.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Well my thoughts on Ker'rat are in a different thread altogether, but needless to say it was stupid of Cryptic have just the 1 zone-in.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-04-2010, 11:06 AM
You mean a good healer is a must?
And without one you're screwed?

I could swear I said that somewhere....

T4 and T5 are basically not winnable if you do not have a GOOD healer when the opposition has one, unlike the lower tiers, where good teamwork can overcome a healer even if you do not have one because they can be killed easier (separated out with ONE person making it so they have to heal themselves to stay alive, while the rest fight normally). Just cannot do that at higher tiers, as a good healer can keep themselves and 1 or 2 others fully up because the healing outweighs the damage by so much.
Exploits used to overcome this at T5 and sorta put every class on equal terms (You HAD to evade or pop a shield charge, or die), as healers cannot keep more than 2 people Expose immune. But with the damage nerf on Exploits, EVERYONE can handle and exploit shot if they have decent gear and at least 1/3 shield.
I was in a loose friends/pug group with Surge immediately after that patch was introduced, and we lost the match against a pre-made with a Healer (close, but LOST). Surge was like "WTF, how did we lose?", and I said "Welcome to the new STOL ground where Healers dominate". He went and got a kit right after the match...
One thing I liked before the Exploit nerf, was class did not matter if you played as a team. That patch made class choice a MUST ( you HAVE to have GOOD healer to win, IF the other team is good and they have one) and turned the ground game into like an old style WoW group thing.
OK, before you join our group, what's your class and spec? Need healer for PvP...
imo, this was one of Cryptics first change introductions (out of a few) that ruined ground PvP.
Just my opinion of course....
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-05-2010, 03:29 AM
I am just an average ground pvp'er who thinks pvp is one of the best parts of the game. Unfortunately, there are decreasing numbers in the queue and less matches. I don't know if it is because of the queue system--allowing mismatches or because some players get discouraged from losing, or some get bored from winning, but I am hopeful it can make a rebound and become full of players again.

I don't mind facing pre-made teams with pugs--getting slaughtered as a team is not really fun, but it is challenging. I should probably try to get a pre-made group going myself.

I thought the addition of Shanty Town would bring some back to the pvp ground battles, but I have rarely
seen that queue full.

Are other maps necessary to get others involved again? What will it take to make pvp more interesting for the average player, and fill up the queues again?
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Rawr i suck at ground pvp
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 521Jim
I thought the addition of Shanty Town would bring some back to the pvp ground battles, but I have rarely seen that queue full.
I think the PvP menu itself is part of the problem. It always seems like the maps listed towards the bottom of the menu are rarely visited. Do players just not bother to scroll down? A good example of this is the FvF space maps. FvF Cracked Planet is towards the top and always being queued for. For some reason the FvF Solar Wind is much further down and I hardly ever see anyone signing up for it at the Admiral Ranks.

Maybe if the PvP menu was organized better, and made much larger so all the maps were on the screen at once (even if the lists have to be done in side-by-side columns), maps like Shanty Town (which is all the way at the bottom of the current menu) would see some action.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baos
Just thinking it needs to be blended a bit more in some fashion. perhaps if your space traits also affected ground traits and it wasn't like a dividing line for which way you want to play your character. If I've made a character with 4 space traits. I'm not likely going to ground pvp with him.
This would be a big help. Traits don't matter in PvE, so it makes sense to pick them based entirely on PvP. PvP tends to favor min/maxing, and since ground PvP is much less popular than space PvP, many players focus exclusively on space traits, which keeps them from *ever* playing ground matches. The game is designed so that instead of favoring one but doing both, it's a lot better to focus on one and ignore the other.

Not being able to leave a match early just adds insult to injury. On space maps you can still fly off the edge of the map if you really want to. I know it's bad form to leave a match early but if you end up alone against a full team, with no hope of other players coming into a game which is already in progress, then it's usually more fun to just turn the game off and do something else than it is to wait through getting killed 40 times.

I was never that upset by people leaving early, and I didn't mind coming into matches which were already in progress, so I really don't understand why Cryptic changed that. Some matches are going to suck, but the only thing worse than a game that sucks, is a game that sucks which you can't leave and can't get any help if you just hold out long enough.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I do agree that it would be nice to see better organization with the maps. Having them separated in list form is confusing,...especially if a new person wants to try pvp for the first time.

Perhaps we can water the desert of ground pvp by inviting fellow fleet members to try it. Helping them with what type of weapons, shield, armor and kit to bind on will be a positive step. Playing matches with them will also go far, helping them with important tactics, how/when to use hypos, power cells etc...

I am personally going to try inviting fleet mates to pvp with me. Maybe we can change the deserted landscape one player at a time.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgery
Ever since Cryptic disabled the zone out button, and put a 4 minute timer that closed all possibilities for new people to join the match after the 4 minutes have passed, activity in ground PVP plummeted.

The logic behind those changes are so flawed, too. What do we gain from having this 4 minute time limit? Nobody wants to be locked in a 2 vs 5 match with no chances for anyone new to join to fill up the unbalanced side. It's absurd.
Any time a game forces you to log out and not play rather than just quit the match is faced with some serious core problems that go beyond just one set of PvP rules.