Lt. Commander
# 1 Here is an idea!
06-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Less Combat oriented missions.

More scientific and humanitarian missions.

This game feels a lot more like Star Wars than Star Trek. The Demo is definitely misleading.:p
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Your right. Fortunately Cryptic will soon be releasing a "diplomacy system" where you are sent on missions as an ambassador as well as making first contact with new species. That said, "soon" is a pretty subjective term.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-04-2010, 05:06 PM
As long at Cryptic's soon aint Blizzard's soon!
Lt. Commander
# 4 The Latest Movie
06-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBeard

This game feels a lot more like Star Wars than Star Trek. The Demo is definitely misleading.:p
Obviously You haven't seen the latest Star Trek movie.

In the extra features on the DVD they even proudly say how they always though Star Wars has a nice more action pace to it while old Star Trek was like slow Sub-marine battles. They wanted to intergrate that "nice" Star Wars" action pace into Star Trek.

Welcome to Star Trek ala 2010.

Now we parashoot drop through atmospheres and pew pew all we see before we have even landed.

No I dint say I liked the new movie or the dumbing down of Star Trek. Just saying it seems to be the future of Star Trek to appeal to possibly a younger and wider audience. Also a reason to make the crew from actors barely out of their teens.

All part of a commercial society where profit is the ultimate goal. Nothing is holy if You can make a profit from it. Except profit itself thats the truly holy thing. The New Religion.

I guess the Ferengis did land in Roswell after all and has secretly walked among us to influence our ideals and take over. Maybe leaders like Reagan, Bush Sr. and Bush Jr, Thatcher, Carl Bildt and Reinfeldt etc is/was acctually Ferengis in disguise.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I think the problem with going in a more action based direction is that I dont know many people who watched ST for the battles.
Sure the dominion war was pretty cool but if that whole part of the series was non-stop action I wouldnt have watched it.

ST is much more about solving a problem with your brain over solving it with your phasers and if they take it in a direction that leaves all of the existing fans dissatisfied theyre making a huge mistake.
The franchise isnt going to draw in enough new fans to make up for losing all the true fans they currently have.
They should worry more about keeping the ones they have happy.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-10-2010, 07:56 PM
THANK YOU!!!

The current film writers can get new jobs for all I care. Paramount was WRONG!
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBeard

Killing other people is quite humanitarian, consider the immense pain if their wounds wouldnŽt kill them. On the other side you can and should always experiment on your victims to maximize your carnage output in the future.

Sorry, just kidding, iŽd love to be diplomatic and actually thinking instead of amassing body count.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-10-2010, 08:12 PM
I really like the latest Star Trek movie (along with all the other Trek movies I own), and I'm looking forward to seeing the next one. I didn't get to see the last one at the theater, but I will definitely see the next one there.

As for more diplomacy and less pew pew in STO, I'm all for it. I'm looking forward to the FDC and First Contact content Cryptic has planned.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-10-2010, 08:14 PM
I can\'t wiat for STO diplomatic corps to make it to my desktop. That\'s why I\'m going on holidays for a month to have a reprive from unreality.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord.Funk
Obviously You haven't seen the latest Star Trek movie.

In the extra features on the DVD they even proudly say how they always though Star Wars has a nice more action pace to it while old Star Trek was like slow Sub-marine battles. They wanted to intergrate that "nice" Star Wars" action pace into Star Trek.

Welcome to Star Trek ala 2010.

Now we parashoot drop through atmospheres and pew pew all we see before we have even landed.

No I dint say I liked the new movie or the dumbing down of Star Trek. Just saying it seems to be the future of Star Trek to appeal to possibly a younger and wider audience. Also a reason to make the crew from actors barely out of their teens.

All part of a commercial society where profit is the ultimate goal. Nothing is holy if You can make a profit from it. Except profit itself thats the truly holy thing. The New Religion.

I guess the Ferengis did land in Roswell after all and has secretly walked among us to influence our ideals and take over. Maybe leaders like Reagan, Bush Sr. and Bush Jr, Thatcher, Carl Bildt and Reinfeldt etc is/was acctually Ferengis in disguise.
Well that paradrop was only after they revealed themselves to be filthy Romulans, and being fair they were devastating Vulcan.

Well to be honest Trek hasn't been one big homogenous thing for a while now. Trek is bigger than that, it's like if the Carebears spread out and showed you a rich diverse world where they were helping calm countries who had dark designs, or bringing aid to the truely suffering people. Yes, a lot of the fans of Carebears would say that it isn't true to the source material but it does make their world more 3-D.

Admittedly STO as it is now is a bad example of a fleshed out world, but showing that there are times when the universe can be plunged into a horrible dark conflict and seeing out the different factions react to that can also be interesting. Haha, kinda like how the fourties wasn't all Casablanca and It's A Wonderful Life. People can choose to remember them that way but they wern't all like that.