Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
To preface, I will admit the battle cloak prior to the patch was exploitative in the hands of griefers. But for myself, it was perfect for picking the right kills and trying to fight until the last second before timing the cloak just right and escaping. That was fun! Its the only reason I've continued to play this game.

With the new 3 second delay, its almost a nerf in disguise. Sure it makes us more killable (which I'm ok with, it was unfair in many ways), but they approached the problem all wrong. Because of the change I've had to adapt my gameplay to hit & run tactics, picking on vunerable ships and blasting out of range before eating a rain of torpedoes. Which makes me more unkillable in a sense. Sticking around in a fight at all, or even using cloak to whittle down a superior opponent with timed strikes....is pointless.. Now I've resorted to waiting for cooldowns, decloak, destroy, escape. With no chance of reprisal or a good fight. Staying in a fight has very little reward now.

Isn't this what people were complaining about in the first place?

Instead of "balancing" the BoP they instead pigeonholed us to become the very thing that they were hated for. I would rather have kept the cloaking delay as it was and instead come up with easier ways to decloak a BoP for a duration after cloaking.

(Granted, I play at the Lieutenant Commander level and nothing higher. So maybe the situation is different up there.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig_Freed
Because of the change I've had to adapt my gameplay to hit & run tactics, picking on vunerable ships and blasting out of range before eating a rain of torpedoes. Which makes me more unkillable in a sense. Sticking around in a fight at all, or even using cloak to whittle down a superior opponent with timed strikes....is pointless.. Now I've resorted to waiting for cooldowns, decloak, destroy, escape. With no chance of reprisal or a good fight. Staying in a fight has very little reward now.
Congratulations you have you figured out what an escort is. ( and BOP is an escort ) { ok that was kind of mean sorry }

escort are meant to hit and run. you attack, destroy, cloak, and pick your next target. ( you do have to think about who you attack )

as for attacking bigger targets, you can still cloak, and attack, you just have to be more tactical at it. ( it will take time to adjust )

as for lasting in a fight, are you sure your not mean to be in the cruiser. a cruiser stays in a fight an escort hits, and runs.

( my advice is to play it, learn it, and adapt to it. make some new techniques to fit the situation, and if you work at it you will survive. there are those who stay the same, and die, and those who change and win, which one are you? )
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-04-2010, 08:26 PM
I have a fleet escort. When I want to play that I play that.

As for staying in the fight, I meant, staying in the fight because there's a chance I can escape which also gives the opposition a chance to kill me. Or in situations where I can escape, recharge cooldowns and re-engage giving both adversaries a small chance to recoup.

As it is now, there is no reason to stay and fight and only pick fights where I have absolute certainty in victory...which is not fun for the victim. There isn't a reason to re-engage either until shields and armor regenerate, which is also, boring.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig_Freed
I have a fleet escort. When I want to play that I play that.

As for staying in the fight, I meant, staying in the fight because there's a chance I can escape which also gives the opposition a chance to kill me. Or in situations where I can escape, recharge cooldowns and re-engage giving both adversaries a small chance to recoup.

As it is now, there is no reason to stay and fight and only pick fights where I have absolute certainty in victory...which is not fun for the victim. There isn't a reason to re-engage either until shields and armor regenerate, which is also, boring.
ok what are some ways you think you can adapt to it?
maybe since your a BOP you have to fight dirty. it's how your class is designed.
( also remember in the show the cloaking device is tied to the shields so to cloak the shields would drop first. "Along with high power consumption, this would explain why a cloaking device and a ship's shields cannot be raised at the same time. Chang's Bird of Prey, for example, did not have its shields up while cloaked in The Undiscovered Country. Also, the shields on the Duras Sisters' Bird of Prey failed when the cloaking device was activated in Generations. " )
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Even General Martok in DS9's "Once More into the Breech" said he will use BoPs for his "cavalry raids" and hit and run tactics against Cardassian installations.

Therefore, Bird of Prey's are Hit and hide ships, not toe to toe gunboats. This example can be found in the BoP in "StarTrek: generations" and "Star Trek: undiscovered country". They only attack when they think they have a "clear" victory over the Enterprise.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkAthena View Post
Therefore, Bird of Prey's are Hit and hide ships, not toe to toe gunboats. This example can be found in the BoP in "StarTrek: generations" and "Star Trek: undiscovered country". They only attack when they think they have a "clear" victory over the Enterprise.
that is what a bird of pray does. ( it's canon ) with all honesty OP, if you don't like sneaking up on weaker targets, then maybe you should play as cruiser, or the raptor escort.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkAthena View Post
Even General Martok in DS9's "Once More into the Breech" said he will use BoPs for his "cavalry raids" and hit and run tactics against Cardassian installations.

Therefore, Bird of Prey's are Hit and hide ships, not toe to toe gunboats. This example can be found in the BoP in "StarTrek: generations" and "Star Trek: undiscovered country". They only attack when they think they have a "clear" victory over the Enterprise.
Which is why they have a battle cloak - to, you know, hit and run!

The more you know! ====★
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:04 AM.