Lt. Commander
For a while I have been trying to find my old issue of GameInformer, and this morning I finally found it under my bed

Anyway, there were some interesting quotes from Craig Zinkievich that I thought were worthy of discussion:

"It's not about making an MMO that's Star Trek. It's about bringing Star Trek to a massively multiplayer arena"

"We dont want to focus on making an MMO so much as bringing the Star Trek universe to life"

Now obviously this was pretty soon after they aquired the title, and these statements were simply their goal. The question is simple: Do you think Cryptic achieved the goals stated above?

Personally, I think so parts of STO are very much Star Trek, while others are very much not. What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Parts that are: multi-part story missions and several of the characters & references.

Parts that aren't: All the killing and player-made unique characters, but I don't mind the second one.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Its hard to answer that because you first have to answer, "What is Star Trek?' A lot of fans of TOS see most of the Berman-era Trek as not really being 'Trek'. People who grew up on and love the Berman era think of that as Trek and think TOS is quaint or goofy. Now we've got new Trek fans who just liked the most recent movie.

I haven't run into any storylines or concepts in the game so far (and I've got multiple RA/BG5s) that didn't correspond to something or other in some iteration of Star Trek. So in that sense, I think they've achieved their goal in that there's nothing in the game that wouldn't be at home in some Star Trek series or movie or other.

On the other hand, most people aren't going to see it that way. They want the whole game to correspond to whatever version of Trek they prefer or its 'not Star Trek'.

Re: the violence, go watch First Contact again, and recall that it was the most popular, by far, of the TNG movies.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
Re: the violence, go watch First Contact again, and recall that it was the most popular, by far, of the TNG movies.
No doubt. However, consider this: FC was approximately a 2 hour movie. The amount of time that was pure combat was probably less than 30 mins. So even using your example, that would mean that combat should only be about 1/4 of the total gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Expired comment
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-05-2010, 08:41 AM
No, they missed the mark. Star Trek is mostly about a single ship exploring the universe. I think only a single player game could give the proper Trek feel of emulating that. They had to make too many concessions to turn it into an MMO to be able to offer a truer Trek experience. Has a lot of the looks and sounds, but just doesn't have the feel. Still, it's not a bad game, needs a lot of work to flesh it out, though.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Well, biggest problem is agreeing on, What is the Star Trek Universe?

Some will say it's high adventure in the galaxy;

Some will say its the challenges that face us and define our humanity;

Some will say its the exploration of space, civilizations and cultures and the comparison of that to our own;

The Star Trek universe is alot of things to different people. Capturing all of that in an MMO is a very high if not attainable goal.

What we have now is an MMO with high adventure, lots of shooting, with alot of the original antagonists from the show. More specifically a multiplayer game of Star Fleet Command, with ground missions added.

There are only a couple of missions that actually challenge our morality/humanity, albeit no real consequence or change in story arc. The one where you deal with the Division 31 guy is an example.

The Star Trek franchise was just as much about character development as it was about finding new races. Spock's quest to balance his human half against his Vulcan logic. Data and his quest to understand Human emotion. Voyager, Seven of Nine, rediscovering her humanity etc.

Question is, can you add elements of game play into an MMO, that would bring these elements from the show and give it that the Star Trek feel? Probably not. That would fall more into the realm of Rping I would imagine.

Maybe the User Generated Content (UGC) can give players more options and variety of episodes to "develope" their characters back stories.

The good news is that Cryptic is working on the Diplomacy system and the UGC tool, so players might be able to introduce some elements from the shows if the tools are powerful enough.

I'm sure that Cryptic will continue to shape and mold the "high adventure" portion of the game to continue to appeal to those players that want to just play a Star Trek game. As well as address issues concerning PVP, end content.

For the game to be truly Star Trek though, we will need a variety of content that will appeal to those that want to play a Story in a Star Trek Universe, not just a Star Trek Game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
No doubt. However, consider this: FC was approximately a 2 hour movie. The amount of time that was pure combat was probably less than 30 mins. So even using your example, that would mean that combat should only be about 1/4 of the total gameplay.
Yeah Cryptic, implement torturing of sentient androids now.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clobbertime View Post
No, they missed the mark. Star Trek is mostly about a single ship exploring the universe. I think only a single player game could give the proper Trek feel of emulating that. They had to make too many concessions to turn it into an MMO to be able to offer a truer Trek experience. Has a lot of the looks and sounds, but just doesn't have the feel. Still, it's not a bad game, needs a lot of work to flesh it out, though.
I don't agree, Star Trek is about an assortment of characters and their adventures.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoaskani View Post
I don't agree, Star Trek is about an assortment of characters and their adventures.
He said a single ship, not a single character. The assortment of characters you just mentioned are onboard the single ship(or station, in the case of DS9).