Lt. Commander
# 41
06-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodar-Duggs
Instead of:

"Captain, we could modify the deflector dish to give a tachyon burst that will destablize the worm hole and cut off the Thaton Radiation that is bombarding the striken freighter. Therefore giving us enough time to beam over and conduct repairs of their ventral influx capacitor"

we have:

Lock phasers on the striken freighter and fire! PEW PEW PEW PEW weeee!

okay maybe not that bad, but you get the point.
I did this once before in another thread, but I don't mind doing it again here:

Let's look at the much debated "kill the jem'hadar babies" mission.

A mission briefing in the conference lounge might have gone like this:

Tactical - Captain, we cannot allow these jem'jadar to multiply. I advise that we destroy the hatchery

Science - Since when is starfleet in the business of murdering children?

Tactical - This is war, [rank honorific]. You can't fight a war without collateral damage.

Science - That may be true, but to willfully kill innocents goes against what the federation represents.

Engineering - I've been thinking. What if we tag the maturation pods in the hatchery and beam them into the cargo hold. I'm condifent that we can modify ship's systems to keep the pods active.

Science - That sounds more reasonable. What do you think, [rank honorific]?

Tactical - I suppose it could be done. But Captain, the longer we stay down there, the greater the risk of detection. We'll have to disconnect those pods from the base's systems. It will take longer for the ship to lock on and beam them out. We'll have to move quickly, either way. I still say we should just blow the whole place up and be done with it.

Now we as the captain get to decide which will be our objective. Beam them up? Or, blow them up?
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-05-2010, 07:17 PM
I have to agree with you, Grand Nagus. There are certain parts of the game that do feel like Star Trek on a certain level while others don't. The ships are there, the uniforms are there, I find some of the Cryptic deigns for uniforms to fit in which what I would consider possible future uniform designs. Some of their ship designs I'm not all that happy with but there are enough decent ones that I can ignore the ones that I don't like.

The space combat also has something of a Trek feel, but it also seems to drag on for too long with your ship constantly circling one ship after another with five groups of enemy ships lurking in the system. I understand they had to make it look and feel like an MMO but most fights in Trek aren't against large groups of ships and the battles usually don't last all that long. We normally see a few bursts of phaser fire and then a photon torpedo or two and that ends the battle.

I also find it strange that out of everything Cryptic saw of Star Trek, what they managed to take away from all those episodes was the Start in Space/Beam Down/Go back to Space formula for missions, all of which is usually tied up with combat. Now, I'd make suggestions as to why this was wrong and what could be done differently, but just about everyone of those has been said before a thousand times.

I also agree with CaptainQuirk's assessment that giving us the moral choices and conflicts that so colored Star Trek would go a long way to adding more to the immersion of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post

Tactical - Captain, we cannot allow these jem'jadar to multiply. I advise that we destroy the hatchery

Tactical - This is war, [rank honorific]. You can't fight a war without collateral damage.

Science - That may be true, but to willfully kill innocents goes against what the federation represents.

Engineering - I've been thinking. What if we tag the maturation pods in the hatchery and beam them into the cargo hold. I'm condifent that we can modify ship's systems to keep the pods active.

Tactical - I suppose it could be done. But Captain, the longer we stay down there, the greater the risk of detection. We'll have to disconnect those pods from the base's systems. It will take longer for the ship to lock on and beam them out. We'll have to move quickly, either way. I still say we should just blow the whole place up and be done with it.

Now we as the captain get to decide which will be our objective. Beam them up? Or, blow them up?
/agree
10chars
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:

Exactly, There really isn't a choice in the matter as it stands for alot of the Episodes. One of our BO's will drone on and on during a pop up about what the situation is and what has to be done. But it is more of a dictation " You will do this!", not...this is a possible solution.

So far the general opinion of the thread seems to be is yes action, adventure and combat is needed for fun game play, but the main Star Trek Feeling that is missing is the choice in situations and optional solutions.
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-05-2010, 08:00 PM
I have been playing this game since beta; I thoroughly enjoy the basic structure of the game, and believe it has some potential. But, what concerns me is the focus on solo play and not enough focus on the MMORPG aspects. I am going to lay out three things I would like to see the first two deal with the MMORPG aspect and the last deal with an idea I have on energy management.

1 I would like to see the class structures become more like other MMORPGs. For instance: your Tactical Officers should be your Warrior/Rogue archetypes, Science Officers should be your Mage/Priest/Healer types, and Engineering Officers your Crafting/Explosive types. Now these would not necessarily mean you would have to stick to one of these areas for your character, but it would help create more uses for divergent classes; as the game stands now everybody could be a Tactical Officer and you rely would not even notice to much of a difference. With better defined classes you get better defined roles for players, and which in turn increases the role playing elements of the game.

2 I would also like to see more ways to socialize in the game. Most MMORPGs have guild halls where guild members come together to socialize; as the game stands now Fleets relly do not have anywhere they can go. Now I relies Cryptic has mentioned they are looking into the possibility to implement some form of a Fleet home; they have not demonstrated that it is a priority to them which is a shame. One of the most important aspect of a MMORPG is the social aspect it is what separates it from a standard solo game. Cities are to small with very little to do in them, and there are just not very many places for people to gather in large groups.

3 Now for the little idea I have on energy management which would make it a bit more Trekkie. If you have ever watched Star Trek you would know that weapons, shields, engines, and subsystems derive their power from what is referred to as the mains, and when the mains go down backup power comes from the auxiliary. Now I propose that you should ballance your w,sh,e,subs out of your mains with the ability to increase power by pulling out of your auxiliary. If you have ever played Star Trek Bridge Commander then you may already have an idea of what i am proposing.

I have posted this elsewhere and thought this would be a good place to post it as well.
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:

...snip

That sounds like it has promise. I think ideally, we could play out episodic missions the same way we read a "Choose Your Own Adventure" story.

Of course the problem inherent is the development of multiple story-paths.

Here's a question: Would we as players prefer 1 new static non-changeable episode every week, or 1 modular choose-your-own-adventure story every 4 weeks?

I'm more inclined to go the multi-ending story way, especially with the added ability to go back and replay old missions.
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-06-2010, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjiru View Post
That sounds like it has promise. I think ideally, we could play out episodic missions the same way we read a "Choose Your Own Adventure" story.

Of course the problem inherent is the development of multiple story-paths.

Here's a question: Would we as players prefer 1 new static non-changeable episode every week, or 1 modular choose-your-own-adventure story every 4 weeks?

I'm more inclined to go the multi-ending story way, especially with the added ability to go back and replay old missions.
The problem with a CYOA-style is making it feel like you're having an impact on the universe and making the story branch out from your choices. Let's say that you choose to blow-up the enemy in one mission which causes other enemies to seek vengeance on you in another story-arc. You'd need to program in different branching paths for the choices the character makes and make those work for each individual player.
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sol
The problem with a CYOA-style is making it feel like you're having an impact on the universe and making the story branch out from your choices. Let's say that you choose to blow-up the enemy in one mission which causes other enemies to seek vengeance on you in another story-arc. You'd need to program in different branching paths for the choices the character makes and make those work for each individual player.
Well... whether or not you blow up the maturation pods or beam them up, the Jem'hadar are going to be extremely POed. So in a future episode, there could be a confrontation with them concerning "the loss of their offspring". Whether we killed them or took them, the Jem'hadar would have "lost" them. So with careful writing in one episode, a later follow-up episode can be written regardless of the actions taken.

I don't quite hold with the CYOA approach. It should be done in such a way where there is one beginning to the episode, multiple middles, and one end. Remember, we are talking about episodic content, ideally designed to flow like an episode in a TV show. There has to be a linear progression.

What needs to have game-effecting results due to choices is end-game content. We need to be able to do those things that Jack Emmert said we'll be able to do when he first introduced STO to the public. Being able to explore, place mining platforms, build Starbases, establish diplomatic relations and trade agreements with species we make first contact with... that sort of thing. We also need the ability to claim territory in the name of our faction. There should no longer BE a neutral zone. If there is now open war, then both sides should have the ability to push territory back or forward through a variety of means...

Now because we have a single-server environment, the conditions of the war and the state of the galaxy could factor into the writing of an episode, if the writers wish.