Lt. Commander
# 11
06-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I'd imagine the focus the last few weeks on getting 1.2 balance changes just right is to blame.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracknell
Wouldn't it be a waste of resources to make content before you get it approved?

Seems wrong from a bussines standpoint. The work they do does cost money so I would assume that they would get the approval before starting to work on it.
You have to make content so that CBS can "see" what they're approving.

They literally get feedback as nitpicky as "Holodecks have x lines not y" according to dstahl. Sometimes the corrections are as vague as "make the nacelles bigger."

I agree that it is a bad part of the process but that CBS bottleneck is there because they own the rights to Star Trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
I'd imagine the focus the last few weeks on getting 1.2 balance changes just right is to blame.
It gives snix something to do. From what I understand snix is purely a systems designer - hence the Space Combat changes. The rest of the team is busy working on prepping the weekly episodes and Season 2.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbasePrime
Now sure, Dstahl is a tad busy - but this is something you've committed to and shouldn't be dependent on one person. For Q's sake, today's the 5th!
Exactly how many people do you feel is acceptable to tie up their day running around gathering info on whats being worked on instead of actually doing work? And how much will we call them to task when they get something incorrect?

Because I can guarantee you that someone will make some thread about horrible and deceptive Cryptic is because even one item was wrong on an Engineering Report while Dstahl is off spending time with his new family.

I love the reports too, but really they're one person job. All that info should be flowing through a single point to ensure accuracy. And if you've checked recent dev postings, Dstahl will be back and working on reports again soonish. I suspect it won't look all that different than the previous one.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
If the last one was on May 7th... it has not been a month yet... surely everyone can go for a month without a report... Honestly, I have always expected the Engineering Reports to not have a set schedule... They may not have any "new" stuff to report compared to May's Engineering Report.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by personae
Exactly how many people do you feel is acceptable to tie up their day running around gathering info on whats being worked on instead of actually doing work? And how much will we call them to task when they get something incorrect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkeismine View Post
If the last one was on May 7th... it has not been a month yet... surely everyone can go for a month without a report...

Please, stop calling me SHIRLEY!

First, I'd like to point out that ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
You may be wondering, "What is this new forum section and what are these reports?". Here's the answer.

Engineering Reports will be posted on a regular basis to provide insight into what the STO team is actively working to add, improve, and update in the game.
So, it's something they committed to on their own - I never twisted their arm for it. I, and many others applauded it as a great move!

Yes, I know Dstahl's tied up with the family, power to him! You don't blame the school bus driver when he's too sick to work. (Of course, you don't generally shut school down for it either and its not like paternity leave is something that just happens as a surprise at the last second like the flu. )

Now, in regards to sense of humor, fun, and liveliness of spirit, I quote the original post as my fear is you read it far too quickly....

Quote:
March - 3 Reports (3rd, 11th, 22nd)
April - 2 Reports (2nd, 20th)
May - 1 Report (7th)

Is there a pattern here? Or is it a countdown?

Now sure, Dstahl is a tad busy - but this is something you've committed to and shouldn't be dependent on one person. For Q's sake, today's the 5th!

We all know you're working on something super secret that is going to blow our socks off - but the suspense is killing me! Is it UGC? Is it Starbases??? Something better????? If you really really can't say, how about at least throwing us a bone with an interview about the new diplomacy system or some information about the upcoming Klingon PvE so we have something to drool over for the next few weeks in sweet anticipation?

Please note that no where is there an immediate demand for an engineering report. I would never do that. A person could be far to injured by the type of serious laughter it might generate.

Now, there is some truly heartfelt begging for scraps of information about diplomacy and Klingons. But honestly, I'm just looking for the tiniest of crumbs. You wouldn't begrudge me even the tiniest morsel of information would you?

Finally, despite what any Klingon tells you, I can personally assure you that NO tribbles were harmed in the posting of the original thread. (I'm to sure about after that though).
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbasePrime

Now, there is some truly heartfelt begging for scraps of information about diplomacy and Klingons. But honestly, I'm just looking for the tiniest of crumbs. You wouldn't begrudge me even the tiniest morsel of information would you?
I would not begrudge you crumbs. I just don't to take one of the cooks out of the kitchen just to throw crumbs at us. I'd rather they get the meal done sooner.

Damn another metaphor making me hungry.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-06-2010, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by personae
Exactly how many people do you feel is acceptable to tie up their day running around gathering info on whats being worked on instead of actually doing work?
I agree. Developers shouldn't be taking time away from their job to gather this information and then present it to the community.

It sounds to me like that would be the job of someone who is a spokesman for Cryptic, someone whose job isn't to write code. Someone whose job it is to deal with the community. Oh, I don't know... like an online community rep or something.

It's too bad that no one working for Cryptic has that as their job title.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Honestly a new Engineering report wouldn't be much different then it is now. Anything that has already been released will be removed. All the stuff marked as in development that we don't have yet would stay the same. Other stuff can be found in the latest State of the Game. Keeping an eye on Tribble also helps. As for stuff to drool over, there were some screen shots Dstahl posted up about ship interiors. I don't remember where they are though.
You could be right, however it could be much different. A new engineering report tells us where they are at on certain features. Is Klingon content ahead or behind schedule? Are other features listed in the May 7th report on track, ahead of schedule, or lagging behind (or even being put on the back burner for the time being). You see, we KNOW what is coming, but after a month we don't KNOW WHEN. A new engineering report lets us know exactly what progress has been made in what areas and where it has not in other areas.

While some may not find this info useful, some players who have been waiting on certain features/content/fluff may want to know if that thing they have really been looking forward to is coming out when Cryptic said it would or should they expect it a week or two later.

Whether or not Cryptic has anything new to report, letting us know where they are at in their development cycle is what we (at least me) would like. I'd also like to point out that Cryptic made a post near the launch of this game that was all about them being transparent with this game and the info that goes with this game. I'm all for this. Most MMOs don't, and it's refreshing to see Cryptic follow a different approach in customer relations by talking to us on a regular basis, which is what those engineering reports are part of.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius_Bonaparte
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Honestly a new Engineering report wouldn't be much different then it is now..
You could be right, however it could be much different. A new engineering report tells us where they are at on certain features. Is Klingon content ahead or behind schedule? Are other features listed in the May 7th report on track, ahead of schedule, or lagging behind (or even being put on the back burner for the time being). You see, we KNOW what is coming, but after a month we don't KNOW WHEN.
That's the great thing about the forums! Everyone has an opinion, here's mine from the OP:
Quote:
We all know you're working on something super secret that is going to blow our socks off...
Me, I'm holding onto my socks! I'd disagree we know what's coming and that in the last 30 days they haven't had any new mind-blowing ideas. We only know from the last Engineering Report through July (which basically is just what they're working on the next 20 or so business days - don't kid yourself they haven't thought beyond that!). We don't know what's coming in 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 (or even if those numbers mean anything). But we most assuredly know zip about 3.0 (other than speculation in the State of the Union).

I also believe that they should take the time to cook those ideas so its al dante (firm, but not mushy), and yet not go into a complete silence so it feels like they've abandoned the community - especially not when there is so much other stuff for them to talk about. I think 3.0 is going to be ambitious. It'll probably take longer than 2.0. But, Cryptic has learned a lot about their game and us over the last several months.

So I believe that Cool stuff is coming...better keep an eye on footware... <queue Star Trek theme>