Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
I feel like I can get a more trusted and reliable responds here than in the Academy. So I'll ask my question here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Zero
I as wondering if it is possible to convert the .demo video files we can create ingame into something that can be used and played back on an iPod. Is this ven possible? If so, how?
Quote:
I found a thread regarding this a few days ago and decide to try it.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=134131

In the chat box, type /demorecord (insert_name) to start recording. I think to play it back, y ahave to create a shotcut that lookes something like this: "(insert har drive location):\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe" -demoplay from the game client exe thingy.

I think this is how I understood this to work after asking someone about it.
Quote:
I took a video of my refit Constitution trashing three squads of Terran Empire starships in the Zenas Expanse during one of the exploration missions I received. I thought it was awesome, and wanted to include it on my iPod so I could re-watch on-the-go.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Buy Fraps.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-05-2010, 10:50 AM
If they are any thing like the CoH .demo files, then no. is not really a video file but a big text file.

That's why only the game can play it back.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-05-2010, 10:51 AM
oh oh oh oh oh !!! i'm totlly pro at this B)

depending on what the file type is, aslong as it's a video file (apart from mkv) and not rights protected.(like some mpegs and mp3s, especcially those burned with windows media player ) it should be able to be added into itunes, from there highlight the video them click "advanced > created ipod/iphone version" and poof! you're done =D
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-05-2010, 10:54 AM
I am not sure if you can directly convert the demo files to a format the iPod can read directly. The demo format sounds more like a script that is read by the game and rendered using the game's engine. What you can try to do is play the demo back in the game and use FRAPS to record the video.

Oh, before I forget, let the dancing commence. :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizarone View Post
I am not sure if you can directly convert the demo files to a format the iPod can read directly. The demo format sounds more like a script that is read by the game and rendered using the game's engine. What you can try to do is play the demo back in the game and use FRAPS to record the video.

Oh, before I forget, let the dancing commence. :p
if you can play the demo outside of the game. i.e. windows media player or quicktime, it can be convert using itunes via the way i specified above.
i will exsperiment with it a bit further when i get home, or if someone has a demo file i can download, i will exspiment with it right now
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
if you can play the demo outside of the game. i.e. windows media player or quick time, it can be convert using itunes via the way i specified above.
i will experiment with it a bit further when i get home, or if someone has a demo file i can download, i will experiment with it right now
you can't you have to create the special short cut to play the demo back in the game engine.

This is identical to the system used in CoH.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
you can't you have to create the special short cut to play the demo back in the game engine.

This is identical to the system used in CoH.
aahhh!!! ok, in that case it's not a video file and can't be used in itunes.... use fraps
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-05-2010, 02:50 PM
So I need to play it back and record it with Fraps then?

I uploaded the file to my MSN page if ya wanna experiment with it. It's the one I did last night.
Constitution vs. Terran Empire .demo file

I appologize for the quality. I have to run minmum/low settings,depending on the area, to play the game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I use a program called @Super which can convert any video/audio into any other video/audio format. A simple google search for "@super" will bring it to the top of the page.