Lt. Commander
So I was thinking about the Klingon BOP and Dreadnaughts and the fact that they have universal bridge officer stations. I had also been thinking about having androids in the game since I know a lot of people seem to want them.

When discussing this with my son who also plays STO we came up with an interesting idea. Android bridge officers. What would be special about them is that they could learn any BO skill available and man any station on a ship as long as they highest level skill they had matched that station. In other words you could have an Android BO with skills in all three class fields. Since Androids can basically live forever and have an unlimited capacity to learn it kinda makes sense that they could learn skills within multiple disciplines.

Now an ability like this has the potential to be abused so I would limit them to one per ship. Further they should be rare and hard/expensive to obtain. Non-transferable as well. My thoughts are a very expensive c-store item, an end stage craftable, or a very high cost mark item..on the order of 500 plus.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-05-2010, 12:43 PM
definetaly no c-store item!

c-store is still thought not to offer "items" that influence gaming...

i have to say it fits that an android would be abe to learn every kind of skill,
so its an interesting idea...
but i guess it would work against any tries to balance ships versus each other...

so im not sure if it is really an idea that should be implemented...
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Using Data as an example, it is true he could go into any career path, but he did choose certain topics to study at Starfleet Academy and was only the Ops officer and 2nd officer of the Enterprise. Even though he could perform as the doctor, chief engineer, etc. those were his only roles. He, like any officer, would take on other responsibilities if necessary. So androids being implemented into the game would be for one career path and learn just those skills.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Using Data as an example, it is true he could go into any career path, but he did choose certain topics to study at Starfleet Academy and was only the Ops officer and 2nd officer of the Enterprise. Even though he could perform as the doctor, chief engineer, etc. those were his only roles. He, like any officer, would take on other responsibilities if necessary. So androids being implemented into the game would be for one career path and learn just those skills.
While this is true if Androids are ever intorduced they should be very special and have a set of special abilites. I think this is one very unique way to do that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonius
definetaly no c-store item!

c-store is still thought not to offer "items" that influence gaming...

i have to say it fits that an android would be abe to learn every kind of skill,
so its an interesting idea...
but i guess it would work against any tries to balance ships versus each other...

so im not sure if it is really an idea that should be implemented...
What they COULD do is make different types of androids, one of which is C-Store specific.

Overall, I think it would do a lot for Memory Alpha if crafting android BOs used that system. Or if androids came skill-less and you used crafting to program them.

Say "blank" androids are sold for a modest fee.

You craft increasingly sophisticated components to upgrade them, the pinnacles of which are the positronic brain and the emotion chip.

What is sold in the C-Store are android "Battle Damaged" costume pieces based on Data's exposed circuitry and/or android cosmetic options that resemble Lal's prototype form.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-05-2010, 01:46 PM
First, no C-Store.... make it a Content Reward.

The ideal avenue would be obtaining "B-4" on a mission. traits could include

1) immunity to chemical and radiation

2) engineering officer, since we already have
- Amazon Borg BO (Engineering)
- 'new' Borg BO (Science)
- Photonic Bridge Offier (Science)

3) Skills...
- Emerg power to Shields
- Engineering Team 2
- ???
- ???

I would think a mission chain along the lines of "Startrek Nemesis" would be the ideal lead-in to doing this.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-05-2010, 03:51 PM
The events of Nemisis were 20 or more years ago though, B4 as we saw him at the end of the movie is now the Data we always knew in STO.

Then we have to go into some murky waters about sentient life. Although a hologram, the Doctor is considered to be a sentient life form and it would't surprise me if that could be extended to andriods which means they aren't going to be some kind of item you can buy in a store per-say but an actual person.

Although I think I just took this discussion in a whole other direction
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-05-2010, 05:27 PM
It could be fun to experience a new set of storyline missions which took us between several worlds once occupied by android manufacturing of some kind. In addition to Data (the Soong-type), Trek is full of examples of android technology that Starfleet/Federation scientists have studied over a few centuries.

Given the right story angle with the right challenge to players, such a reward might be enjoyed by others.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-05-2010, 05:33 PM
non C-store and possibly endgame only, but definitely a very cool idea.

I saw it and instantly thought 'sort of a reverse on the Klingon BoP universal station idea.'
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
So I was thinking about the Klingon BOP and Dreadnaughts and the fact that they have universal bridge officer stations. I had also been thinking about having androids in the game since I know a lot of people seem to want them.

When discussing this with my son who also plays STO we came up with an interesting idea. Android bridge officers. What would be special about them is that they could learn any BO skill available and man any station on a ship as long as they highest level skill they had matched that station. In other words you could have an Android BO with skills in all three class fields. Since Androids can basically live forever and have an unlimited capacity to learn it kinda makes sense that they could learn skills within multiple disciplines.

Now an ability like this has the potential to be abused so I would limit them to one per ship. Further they should be rare and hard/expensive to obtain. Non-transferable as well. My thoughts are a very expensive c-store item, an end stage craftable, or a very high cost mark item..on the order of 500 plus.

Thoughts?
Not tring to jack your post but here's a very old post of mine with my thoughts on Android Bridge Officers and how they could work.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=127340