Lt. Commander
# 11
06-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argenacob
No, that's not necessary. Just the tower, if you must.
then I would look at this pre build HERE
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Mine is a HP I got from Costco for the purposes of this game. It was $999.99 back in Feb, but Thought I saw it for $799.99. They have a lesser one (less HD space and RAM in the $499.99 range. All have monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. included.

It is FULL 1080P HD with A 25" MONITOR.

Blak.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Could go the route I did on mine. I have a I5-750, 4 gigs of coursair ram, and an ati 5770 machine. I chose a MB with xfire capability so I can add a 2nd 5770 later, also cpu is water cooled. I can of course upgrade to one of the I7's that match my motherboard later on should the hyperthreading they have enabled on it ever prove worth the extra expenses. All said though I only spent about 800 or so on my computer, not counting the 23" 1920x1080 monitor I bought to go with her. I ported my old sound card & PS over to the new rig though so I did cut a small corner there. PC is a beast compared to the 5 year old Single core 3.33ghz emachine it replaced.

My current machine was ordered from cyberpowerpc.com and I love it. World of difference over that old machine.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argenacob
I'd say $950 US max.
Go to a local mom&pop computer parts shop. Tell them you want an Intel chipset LGA775 motherboard with true PCI-Express 16x, does not have to be PCI-Express 2.0 for true HD on this game.

2-3gb of DDR2 ram, doesn't have to be super expensive or fast.

LGA775 socketed Core2 Duo or Quad at about 2.4ghz

nVidia GeForce 9800GTX.

450 to 500watt power supply.

This should likely run you a maximum of $600 maybe $700.

Make sure to do this before retailers start doing "Back to School" otherwise the prices will skyrocket.

Also, you might want to shop around on the video card. I recommend using PriceWatch and Google Shopping to search for good prices. But be wary of anyone selling the video card for less than $120 unless they're a reputable retailer. If you're unsure if a retailer is reputable, ask again in the forums.

Don't bother buying a motherboard with the ATI CrossFire nonsense. It's not really anything special. It's just ATI trying to slap a trademark name on something that's actually a standard feature of PCI-Express. You only end up paying more money for nothing more than a logo that's slapped on the retail box for the motherboard. Infact, you can run nVidia cards in "SLI" on the same motherboards. You just have to manipulate the driver's .inf file to trick the drivers into allowing it. Remember, this is an INDUSTRY STANDARD FEATURE of PCI-Express.

Also, I would not bother with Crossfire/SLI at all. Unless you're using an extremely expensive motherboard of dubious stability (no, nForce is not as stable as people make it out to be, just search for 780i stability or 790i stability) you're going to end up having the both video cards reduced to half speed when running in SLI or Crossfire mode. What's the purpose of buying two identical video cards if both run at half speed? The most you end up getting is just more stream processors and ram. It's more cost effective to just buy the a single video card with the same amount of ram and a comparable number of stream processors.

This system will not be the fastest but it'll be able to handle nearly any game on the market with the settings jacked up. This is roughly the specs of my backup computer and the only game it has problems with at full detail and full resolution is GTA4. But you need like 2gb of video memory alone to play that at full detail. I get a very fluid framerate in ALL circumstances on my backup machine. Well, there's one thing that'll slow it down, /renderscale 2... Only may main computer can handle that.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Full HD? That is a publisher slang, there is no such thing. Actual full HD is over 1500p, and not so far in the future it'll be greater. Although displays that can handle such resolutions cost the same as a small car.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
Full HD? That is a publisher slang, there is no such thing. Actual full HD is over 1500p, and not so far in the future it'll be greater. Although displays that can handle such resolutions cost the same as a small car.
Self redacting statement is self redacting.

While Ruiyo contradicted himself, he does have a point. "HD" is entirely the wrong term. But he's also wrong where I come from. HD is related to television. true HD is either 720p or 1080p and these are television specs.

Back in the late 90s, I had a CRT monitor capable of 2048 x 1536. When HD televisions first started to actually appear in most homes and people were all "MY TV IS 720p!" or "MY TV IS 1080p!" I said "congratulations, you're getting a quarter or half the megapixels as an old computer I threw away a long time ago.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
Self redacting statement is self redacting.

While Ruiyo contradicted himself, he does have a point. "HD" is entirely the wrong term. But he's also wrong where I come from. HD is related to television. true HD is either 720p or 1080p and these are television specs.

Back in the late 90s, I had a CRT monitor capable of 2048 x 1536. When HD televisions first started to actually appear in most homes and people were all "MY TV IS 720p!" or "MY TV IS 1080p!" I said "congratulations, you're getting a quarter or half the megapixels as an old computer I threw away a long time ago.
Yeah, i've meant the television term. Like if 1080p is either True or Full HD. What i meant is that there's no such thing as "full HD" on the current range of consumer-based LCD or Plasma tv's. And since the terms Full HD and True HD lately has become synonym for 1080p resolutions, i always try to point out how wrong that is whenever i can

If you want true Full HD, you'll need a WQXGA display (can show resolutions up to 2560x1600.. so it's 1600p. THAT, i belive, is the true Full HD dieplay currently avaible.). But like i said, such displays cost the same as a small car. Not to mention you'd need some 2gb of video ram to fully use that monster. And to use 2gb of video ram, you'd need a PSU with over 650w real power. Not to mention a motherboard that can correctly use two or more video cards in Crossfire or SLi without losing PCI-E speed..
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
Full HD in terms of the highest possible quality in-game.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-05-2010, 05:15 PM
I've got a Geforce GTS250. That's not a great graphics card, in fact it's pretty obsolete, but I can play the game at almost full detail at 1080P. The only thing I turned down was shadow detail, and the game plays very smoothly with shadows set to low.

So I'd call that the baseline, minimum graphics to give a really good experience at 1080P. A newer card like the Radeon 5750 or 5770 ought to let you max out all of the details. I don't think I would go less than that, but more is not necessary.

The rest of the computer doesn't matter as much for gaming as the graphics card. Any dual-core processor and 4GB of RAM should do.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
then I would look at this pre build HERE
So just to get this straight, I can play STO with every video setting at it's highest with very little or no lag?