Lt. Commander
# 1 Orbit One
06-05-2010, 06:09 PM
SO I was wondering what happened to Space Dock, AKA Orbit One as the starting 'spacedock' around earth is way too small to be the space dock seen in the Next Generation. Is there a fluff reason for it being gone, or do we just have a mechanical we haven't gotten around to it yet type reason?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjaxTorbin View Post
SO I was wondering what happened to Space Dock, AKA Orbit One as the starting 'spacedock' around earth is way too small to be the space dock seen in the Next Generation. Is there a fluff reason for it being gone, or do we just have a mechanical we haven't gotten around to it yet type reason?
It may been retired. The Breen may have damaged it beyond repair when they attacked earth during the Dominion War. Could be any number of reasons. The devs have not revealed a reason for it that I'm aware of.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Quote:
You may also have noticed, that there are now 3 giant stations in orbit. They may have decided to do 3 smaller ones than one huge one.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-06-2010, 02:37 PM
The huge mushroom station was iconic. not putting it in is a big slap in the face. id rather it it then the eyesore we currently have.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-06-2010, 02:43 PM
There was more than just Starbase One orbiting Earth. For instance McKlinley Station was one.

Quote:
If I remember right, on one mission we did learn that the Breen's attack on Earth during Dominon War resulted in the destruction of Starbase One and the other stations. Which goes nicely with why they weren't seen during First Contact.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-06-2010, 03:06 PM
That's too bad. I was very, very fond of that old station. Wish they had rebuilt it.

Is Jupiter station still in existence? Or was it a casualty of the Dominion War as well?
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Because the thing would be close to 200 years old in this time frame.

And probably because if they did put it in people would criticize every detail and complain they can't fly their ship in there.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
If I remember right, on one mission we did learn that the Breen's attack on Earth during Dominon War resulted in the destruction of Starbase One and the other stations. Which goes nicely with why they weren't seen during First Contact.
while it was most likely destroyed in the dominion war. First contact happened right at the dominion war. in 2373, while the breen attacked earth in 2375.

it was most likely that the missing star bases were an overlook in the movie. ( maybe on the other side of the planet, or they were avoided by the borg. )
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Juptier Station's intact. When the Doctor went to visit Dr. Zimmerman on Jupiter Station, it was 2 years after the Dominion War.

As for the old Station, I'm surprised Cryptic hasn't used the design for some of the other Starbases we encounter in the Episodic Content. Not all of them were old or destroyed in wars.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the Clarification Azurian.

And as far as the 'its old' argument goes, I don't really buy that. If you invested the incredible amount of resources and effort into building such a huge space station, it seems to me you'd upgrade and make it last as long as possible.

That said, if the Breen destroyed it, well, that's that.

Also, wasn't Jupiter Station older than Spacedock? I thought it was referenced in Enterprise as where they were going for upgrades to their weapons at one point... though it may not have existed in the exact same form back then, it gives some credibility to the upgrade and refit route rather than scrap and rebuild.