Lt. Commander
I recently bought the game and I don't want to sound negative, because I love this game to death, but the world feels like a solo game. I pop down to DS9 and there's like 4 people on the entire station. The hallways should be packed with people... they aren't. I went to Risa... and there was one other person than me their who beamed away seconds later. Isn't there a way to solve this? Or am what I seeing just places people don't want to visit and chill out at. I love these places. I wish they were always busy and I wonder if we didn't have sharded instances would they be busy? Couldn't we increase the number of people per zone. Up it to 100 or 200 or something so these zones feel populated?

Edit: Hmm! Strange K-7 appears to be 10 times more populated than Risa and DS9 ? Or I just got lucky and got into a packed one.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I share your feelings on this. I think the problem is two fold:

- Not enough to do on key locations. DS9 is useless and out of the way after Captain, Risa has nothing interesting, Gamma Orionis is space only, etc.

- Sharding, especially on huge maps like Sol, limits the number of people so you usually never run into other players.

Unfortunately the general direction the community wants this to go is away from location improvements and more for convenience (i.e. functional bridges). In MMO's, People congregate at PVP locations or crafting stations and leave everything else alone.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
I share your feelings on this. I think the problem is two fold:

- Not enough to do on key locations. DS9 is useless and out of the way after Captain, Risa has nothing interesting, Gamma Orionis is space only, etc.

- Sharding, especially on huge maps like Sol, limits the number of people so you usually never run into other players.

Unfortunately the general direction the community wants this to go is away from location improvements and more for convenience (i.e. functional bridges). In MMO's, People congregate at PVP locations or crafting stations and leave everything else alone.
They should at least make DS9 like one of the main bases/ how cities are in wow. It's one of the most widely known star trek stations. I want it to be packed 24/7. Haha
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I disagree that it feels dead, I constantly see a TON of people everywhere I go. That being said, I think the big social "hubs" should be condensed so that more players are on each instance.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I sympathize and completely agree with the necessity in raising the zone caps for social areas like this. Champions Online was far superior in this regard, and uses the same engine and server structure. I'm not really sure why they keep the cap so low in STO..

In Risa's case, there's a very good reason you'll hardly ever find anyone else there - There is NOTHING to do, except RP.

As for DS9, I'm not really sure why its so vacant. It used to be a happening place.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
I sympathize and completely agree with the necessity in raising the zone caps for social areas like this. Champions Online was far superior in this regard, and uses the same engine and server structure. I'm not really sure why they keep the cap so low in STO..

In Risa's case, there's a very good reason you'll hardly ever find anyone else there - There is NOTHING to do, except RP.

As for DS9, I'm not really sure why its so vacant. It used to be a happening place.
because people outlevled it... and are now in go...
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I agree with DS9 being out of the way and lacking utility once you pass Captain, it's a shame cause it's really well laid out. Hopefully they will find some use for it in later patches.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
because people outlevled it... and are now in go...
Starbase 24 is consistently full of people - so I guess they aren't all in GO.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-04-2010, 01:48 PM
DS9 and Risa, have always been dead areas, thereís really nothing to do at either location.

DS9 stores all have useless material for sale (Except for the Klingon Bat leth). If the exchange and bank were in the main corridor and you could just walk into Quarks (open to the main corridor, no loading screen, no huge door), I believe the place would feel livelier and you would see more people and players. I'm with you that both areas should be packed with players and believe adding more computer generated characters would help make that place feel and look livelier.

STO has way too many zones per area. Example: Sol Station has like 15 zones (Estimated really can't remember how many there is.) each zone has an average of 25 players but I have seen a few zones where there was 50ish player in one zone, but that is rare. It a depends on when you are playing.

Cryptic needs to adjust the zoning of its areas. Either less zones per area so the average players per zone would increase or when a player comes into an area he is placed into the first available zone, basically filling a zone before placing any player into a new zone. But that would be problematic, because you could end up being the only one in a zone.

Risa is completely pointless location, like Vulcan and Andoria. There is nothing to do at these areas except walk I mean jug around. Andoria has a few useless stores and fighting rings where you canít fight (That doesn't make sense.), it a huge ice park. Vulcan, I guess you could say itís a holy place in which you can jug around and do nothing. I donít believe there is one store on that planet only been there once in three careers.

From what I have noticed Risa when there is players there, players either just want to see what the place looks like and move on or are PVPers just hanging out waiting for their next match.

You could change zones if you would like to see is there is a livelier zone to enter. I do that every once and a while. To change zones just click the on the zone above your mini map in the top right hand corner of your screen.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-04-2010, 01:54 PM
DS9 needs to become more useful.
A second Earth Spacedock of sorts for higher level players and maybe even the option to transwarp there.