Lt. Commander
# 1 State of the Game 6/5/2010
06-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I'd like to take the time to address the shortcommings I percieve to be abundant in the game.

I'll break it down into what i feel is broken, and possible ways to fix it:

UI:
Remote Contacts = Broken
Give some way to hide the lower level defend missions, explore missions, and a dang counter to show how many times I have done it.

Remote Contacts seriously needs to be revamped.

Sector Space = Dead and Boring
I understand you were going for a tactical view type feeling. That is great, but I believe as advanced as the races were in the Star Trek Universe they would have had it a bit more ... Vibrant.
You could have the Systems Planet icon's ANIMATED and Colored. The static Blue, green, red colors has got to go.

BOFF powers = Underwhelming
There is no real purpouse to using a purple -vs- blue -vs- green -vs- white BOFF. Put some really unique abilities in each rarity pool, and don't place those abilities in the power store. Make people Want to use the boffs with unique abilities. The one unique ability should not be able to be untrained, or trained to other officers.
White Officers = No unique abilities. (All 4 retrainable power slots)
Green Officers = 1 Uncommon Unique ability. With 3 Common (Trainable)
Blue Officers = 1 Rare ability (only cross trainable with other blue abilities), 1 Uncommon (only cross trainable with other Uncommon Abilities, and 2 Common (only trainable with common ability slots.
Purple Boffs = 1 Ultra Rare (NOT cross trainable with other purple abilities), 1 Rare (only cross trainable with Blue abilities), and 1 Uncommon (cross trainable with Green abilities), and 1 Common (Cross trainable with common abilities.)

Make it so the purple abilities are Truely rare, and if you came across any 5 people with the ability of that officer it would be a miracle. Then make the ability almost overpowered. IE: A get out of jail free card, or an almost I win button. But make it's cooldown SUPER SUPER long.

Missions: = Cool - But where is the Unique bosses?
That Drop Unique Gear? I'd like to fly into a known sector that "Shintek the Orion Pirate" frequents, and is known to drop some blue and green gear that is UNIQUE in it's proc's ... IE: Let's say his loot table involved a Blue Disruptor Beam Array that had all the normal blue abilities of disruptors. IE it's damage debuff, and dps amounts. But also had a unique proc "Damage thrusters" and Decreased Turn rate by 5% of the targeted ship.

We need more mission Bosses that are static and have X% chance to appear every time N mission was run, and awards unique gear that CANNOT be bought.

Klingon's:
Need a background, and story arc, and a full gammut of misison's.
Need their cloak nerfed ... Klink shields should take longer to drop, and longer to re-appear. They should be vulnerable for a little longer period of time. So we can see they are starting to cloak, and try to get off a Torp Spread on them for hull damage while their shields are down.

Also -- SFB wich this game is heavily designed around. Klingons had strong forward shields, medium side shields, and weak rear shields. This should be implemented to make it a little more strategic when fighting klinks.

PVP
BG's are ok - But we really need persistent sector space PVP. Where we can go to fight instead of doing the same arena's and capture and hold's over and over and over again.

We should be able to take and hold territory in the Neutral Zone.

Get rid of the stupid Borg Warzone PVP in the Kerrat system, -or- Halve the cubes and probes, and then FIX the collision issues of the probes getting stuck in the decryption nodes where they can fire on us, yet we can't fire on them. JEEZ! Learn to code!

Daily's + Endgame Gear.
The Daily's have either got to start awarding MORE (Double maybe?) mark's of exploration, mar's of Valor, etc., or the Daily's have to have their timers shortened. The fact that I would have to run the Daily's for over 10 days to get equipped for endgame PVP is ridiculous.

Cryptic Store:
You need to allow us to buy Cryptic points, at a reasonable rate with in game cash. Having to spend real money for the different ship varient's is stupid! I can see some people may want to use real money to get the item faster, but we should be offered an alternative in game way to pay for the ship costumes, or emote packs, or playable races. You could even tie those items into quest lines. IE: But it with real money, or do the quest (IE: Quest should be somewhat hard), or buy it with Merit Points, etc.

Antiproton weapons:
Overpowered.
Nerf them into the ground

Ship Resists:
Give us slots on ships specifically for ship resists. And move then out of the engineering consoles line. You can keep the varieties you have. But make more variant's to the percentages of resists.

These could also drop off of unique named mission mobs.

Give at least two hull armor slots to toss these resists into.

Ground Combat:
Horrible! Something I have to suffer through. The controls are horrible. The Camera Control's are atrocious.
REVAMP it all for ground combat.

Make it control more like a third person shooter. All this autofacing, and auto sidestepping around a targeted mob has got to go. All the other MMO's, and FPS's in the world have control schemes 10x better than yours

Fauna
Where are all the animals on these lifeless world's you have me performing mission's on?

With these improvements you will be on the right track ... But you will still have a L O N G way to go.

P.S. Not bothering with spelling, punctiation or grammar. I can't believe I even wasted my time writing this. Cryptic won't listen, and this game will still be broke beyone belief, and it will slowly flounder and die.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by godowar View Post
I I can't believe I even wasted my time writing this. Cryptic won't listen, and this game will still be broke beyone belief, and it will slowly flounder and die.
hmm.........

you know what the best part is? I can quit anytime. 8P
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Quote:
P.S. Not bothering with spelling, punctiation or grammar. I can't believe I even wasted my time writing this. Cryptic won't listen, and this game will still be broke beyone belief, and it will slowly flounder and die.
If the argument is not presented in a intelligent format, you don't have a chance of people listening.

Anyway, I agree with some of your statements, like the need for BO powers to have some uniqueness. and the need for sector space and remote contacts to be updated. The missions, I can go either way on this. Not a huge fan of grinding a mission for something that may or may not appear, then may or may not drop an item.

As for nerfing the anti-proton and klingon cloak, the cloak was just nerfed two days ago. Have you tried the new one? I'm not sure, since you don't specify. I've also never run into a problem with anti-proton weaponry being over powered.

The ground controls need work, but this isn't a FPS. I've seen very few MMOs that handle their combat controls like a FPS.

Finally, I agree that the collision detection needs some work. With ships getting stuck in asteroids and other objects, it is irritating, but doesn't happen too often. What really gets me is when my character gets stuck on the ground. It is like if I get stuck on the grout between tiles in a tile floor. Ground needs some attention, including the collision detection.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Quote:
I can't believe I even wasted my time writing this. Cryptic won't listen, and this game will still be broke beyone belief, and it will slowly flounder and die.
Where have I heard this before??

Oh right shortly after launch. It was something along the lines of "this game is going to die in a few months". I'm still waiting on the death lol

Now to be fair I'll address what you've said.

Remote Contacts
Lower level missions automatically get hidden after a certain level. They reappear when you are in the system where that mission takes place. Nothing broken about it. A counter could be fine, but its not necessary.

Sector Space
Cryptic has said they are going to revamp it.

BOFF powers
I guess I can agree with some of this, though I really never pay attention to the BO's rarity.

Missions
Sounds like what you are describing are STFs

Klingon's
A few Klingon fixes were just released and more will be coming in Season 2. Please read before posting.

PVP
You weren't the first to come up with this idea and I think Cryptic has already said no to persistent sector space PvP. Sorry.

Daily's + Endgame Gear.
I agree with this. It takes too long to save up the currency.

Cryptic Store
Why to the NEED to allow us to buy points with in game cash? The point of the C-store, like in any other MMO, is to purchase unique items for real money. Its another way for them to make money and I completely agree with them on it. You have to remember this is a business and they have to make money. Sorry but I'm against your idea on this.

Antiproton weapons
Can't comment on this.

Ship Resists
Why? They are engineering consoles, end of discussion. It is fair the way it is, we don't need extra slots for this.

Ground Combat
I admit it could be better, but I hardly think it is horrible.

Fauna
Coming in Season 2 I believe. Maybe earlier or slightly later, but definitely coming. Again please read before posting.

P.S. I can't believe I even wasted my time to comment on all this. You won't listen, and you will continue to think this game is broken and will die.:p
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post

P.S. I can't believe I even wasted my time to comment on all this. You won't listen, and you will continue to think this game is broken and will die.:p
OH SNAP

also to any other life timers, I did not mean anything mean about me being able to quit. you guys are awesome, it just the people who leaped before they looked.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
I'd like to take the time to address the shortcommings I percieve to be abundant in the game.

I'll break it down into what i feel is broken, and possible ways to fix it:
Holy crap.....this is going to take a while...

Quote:
UI:
Remote Contacts = Broken
Give some way to hide the lower level defend missions, explore missions, and a dang counter to show how many times I have done it.

Remote Contacts seriously needs to be revamped.
On the Fed side those missions and most old contacts disappear as you level up, there are a few exceptions to this but those are mainly limited to those that have general information for you, and not missions. On the Klingon side it's different as you can pick up Lt. and LtC level missions for Star Clusters, however the DSE missions disappear as you pass their level.

Quote:
Sector Space = Dead and Boring
I understand you were going for a tactical view type feeling. That is great, but I believe as advanced as the races were in the Star Trek Universe they would have had it a bit more ... Vibrant.
You could have the Systems Planet icon's ANIMATED and Colored. The static Blue, green, red colors has got to go.
They (Cryptic) have talked about this several times so I'm just going to leave it at that...

Quote:
BOFF powers = Underwhelming
There is no real purpouse to using a purple -vs- blue -vs- green -vs- white BOFF. Put some really unique abilities in each rarity pool, and don't place those abilities in the power store. Make people Want to use the boffs with unique abilities. The one unique ability should not be able to be untrained, or trained to other officers.
White Officers = No unique abilities. (All 4 retrainable power slots)
Green Officers = 1 Uncommon Unique ability. With 3 Common (Trainable)
Blue Officers = 1 Rare ability (only cross trainable with other blue abilities), 1 Uncommon (only cross trainable with other Uncommon Abilities, and 2 Common (only trainable with common ability slots.
Purple Boffs = 1 Ultra Rare (NOT cross trainable with other purple abilities), 1 Rare (only cross trainable with Blue abilities), and 1 Uncommon (cross trainable with Green abilities), and 1 Common (Cross trainable with common abilities.)

Make it so the purple abilities are Truely rare, and if you came across any 5 people with the ability of that officer it would be a miracle. Then make the ability almost overpowered. IE: A get out of jail free card, or an almost I win button. But make it's cooldown SUPER SUPER long.
You've missed the entire point behind Bridge Officers. They are considered a system of crafting in the game as you have the ability to mold them to be exactly what you want them to be. The whole point of the BOs that you receive in missions is that they have abilities that are not otherwise available to you, which you are then able to utilize to either train one of your bridge officers to your liking or have that officer join your crew.

Not to mention the fact that you're asking for an effective "I win" button.....

With this comment I have to wonder how far into the game you've actually played

Quote:
That Drop Unique Gear? I'd like to fly into a known sector that "Shintek the Orion Pirate" frequents, and is known to drop some blue and green gear that is UNIQUE in it's proc's ... IE: Let's say his loot table involved a Blue Disruptor Beam Array that had all the normal blue abilities of disruptors. IE it's damage debuff, and dps amounts. But also had a unique proc "Damage thrusters" and Decreased Turn rate by 5% of the targeted ship.

We need more mission Bosses that are static and have X% chance to appear every time N mission was run, and awards unique gear that CANNOT be bought.
Unique bosses come mainly from Fleet Actions (i.e. the Crystalline Entity) and the Special Task Force missions (Like Infected or Terradome). They have gear and bosses that is much more unique than the rest of the game.

There are a few missions rewards that also yield truly unique items, such as the polarized tetryon beam, just as an example. However some of what you're talking about it already in the game via weapon procs, as the effect of "damage thrusters" is done via the phaser proc, the polaron proc, and the chroniton proc.

By combining weapon procs you run a very real risk of creating an overpowered weapon...

Quote:
Klingon's:
Need a background, and story arc, and a full gammut of misison's.
Need their cloak nerfed ... Klink shields should take longer to drop, and longer to re-appear. They should be vulnerable for a little longer period of time. So we can see they are starting to cloak, and try to get off a Torp Spread on them for hull damage while their shields are down.

Also -- SFB wich this game is heavily designed around. Klingons had strong forward shields, medium side shields, and weak rear shields. This should be implemented to make it a little more strategic when fighting klinks.
Yeah....read the engineering reports that have been up for months and you'll note that Klingon episodes have been planned for a while and they are being included in the Season 2 release this July.

For cloak, ehh......yes and no there. We have three seconds of complete vulnerability and they our shields build up from 0 power, so we're really vulnerable for the entire time that it takes up to get our shields back up to normal power levels. But you're just not going to get something where you have enough time to turn 180 degrees on people and bring forward weapons on us if that's what you're looking for....

With shields, the entire mechanic of shield is equal facings and I doubt that will change, but who can say really...

Quote:
PVP
BG's are ok - But we really need persistent sector space PVP. Where we can go to fight instead of doing the same arena's and capture and hold's over and over and over again.

We should be able to take and hold territory in the Neutral Zone.

Get rid of the stupid Borg Warzone PVP in the Kerrat system, -or- Halve the cubes and probes, and then FIX the collision issues of the probes getting stuck in the decryption nodes where they can fire on us, yet we can't fire on them. JEEZ! Learn to code!
This was talked about in the last State of the Game from Zinc so I'll just leave it...

Quote:
Daily's + Endgame Gear.
The Daily's have either got to start awarding MORE (Double maybe?) mark's of exploration, mar's of Valor, etc., or the Daily's have to have their timers shortened. The fact that I would have to run the Daily's for over 10 days to get equipped for endgame PVP is ridiculous.
The whole point of Epic gear (purple) is that you have to work for it, so no thanks to increasing mark output unless they were to bring the items from Honor and Exploration to the prices of Valor items.

Quote:
Cryptic Store:
You need to allow us to buy Cryptic points, at a reasonable rate with in game cash. Having to spend real money for the different ship varient's is stupid! I can see some people may want to use real money to get the item faster, but we should be offered an alternative in game way to pay for the ship costumes, or emote packs, or playable races. You could even tie those items into quest lines. IE: But it with real money, or do the quest (IE: Quest should be somewhat hard), or buy it with Merit Points, etc.
Meh, there are things that the C-Store is reasonable (such as name changes) for and other that merit discussion (ship variants). Originally we were going to be able to get anything in the C-Store through in game efforts but for whatever reason that changed when the game went live. So there really isn't much to say here...

Quote:
Antiproton weapons:
Overpowered.
Nerf them into the ground
Hardly, some weapons have a powerful proc, AP weapons have increase crit change and severity in place of a proc. Long explanation short: AP weapons are fine.

Quote:
Ship Resists:
Give us slots on ships specifically for ship resists. And move then out of the engineering consoles line. You can keep the varieties you have. But make more variant's to the percentages of resists.

These could also drop off of unique named mission mobs.

Give at least two hull armor slots to toss these resists into.
We have slots for resists, they are console slots where you really fit your ship for it's purpose. We don't need to add additional slots to ships just because you want to max out everything in one ship....

Quote:
Ground Combat:
Horrible! Something I have to suffer through. The controls are horrible. The Camera Control's are atrocious.
REVAMP it all for ground combat.

Make it control more like a third person shooter. All this autofacing, and auto sidestepping around a targeted mob has got to go. All the other MMO's, and FPS's in the world have control schemes 10x better than yours
Changing it so that it's like KOTOR is really unlikely. Also....other MMOs don't offer two modes of play, some people hate the ground combat, others don't mind it.

Quote:
Fauna
Where are all the animals on these lifeless world's you have me performing mission's on?

With these improvements you will be on the right track ... But you will still have a L O N G way to go.
Well if you looked at a poll conducted weeks ago then you'd know that Cryptic is planning on including indigenous lifeforms to planets...

--

Basically dude you need to do a lot more research on what's coming to the game and on how things are designed to work
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
OH SNAP

also to any other life timers, I did not mean anything mean about me being able to quit. you guys are awesome, it just the people who leaped before they looked.
that actually made me laugh
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
that actually made me laugh
I've been itching to use it, and you gave me the chance. thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:

/yawn

That sounds like some game I used to play. And got bored with.

Quote:
Klingon's:
Need a background
Did you just say Klingons need a background?

Yeah, ok, I'm done reading this.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Despite getting a lot of it wrong he makes a few good points. Obviously there is something wrong with ground combat or there wouldn't be so many people (and ever reviewer) who despises it. Regarding the c-store he gets it completely right. If you view your players as walking money bags it's going to come back and bite you in the ass eventually. Already nickel-and-dimming people when you have a game as incomplete as this one is unbelievable, and although it's bringing in money I guarantee you it's also driving people away. If you want to implement something like the C-store for an incomplete game you should make those items attainable (through great effort) in game as well. Doing so has the double benefit of not making people rightfully ****ed off at you, and gives them something to grind towards while you finish up on real content.