Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Planet of the Week
06-04-2010, 09:23 AM
One of the major problems this game has is that 90-95% of the static systems have nothing in them (i.e no planetary surface or mission.) As I was thinking about this yesterday, I came up with an idea that may help people feel like their galaxy is getting more filled out than the C-store, and that idea is Planet of the Week.

The idea is, every week Cryptic picks one of the static systems that has not been fleshed out with anything, and adds something to it, most preferably a ground environment and a short mission relating specifically to that planet.

Next, since this is space and we're supposed to explore, we make the Planet of the Week something of a treasure hunt. Cryptic will say the planet is up and give a couple hints about who to talk to or where to go to find this system. Those players that do find it before the next Planet of the Week, get an accolade and occasionally, a nice piece of gear. Those who don't, stumble across it of their own accord sometime later and find something to do. Win win.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-04-2010, 09:36 AM
you mean like working on static maps like Risa and improving them everytime a new Quest get's added, only not as Social Zones but with things to do?


Sounds good.

More Planets with more things to do = good

If this game uses the Champions Online engine then big Ground Enviroments like this should be no problem (just with a Star Trek look of course):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5OXXCo3JI
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-04-2010, 09:55 AM
It would mean adding a static map like Risa every week, and giving a quick mission to go with it, as well as a bit of fun trying to figure out where they added the new one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
It would mean adding a static map like Risa every week, and giving a quick mission to go with it, as well as a bit of fun trying to figure out where they added the new one.
it could be genesis generated. but there is one major problem. (CBS ) if you were going to flesh out the main planets, every map would have to be ran by CBS. once a week most likely would not work. if they used the genesis system, they would run in to times when CBS did not like it, ( and the map would be scraped ) or they can make it themselves to what CBS says, and it would take longer then a week. ( you mite be able to do it, and a mission in a week, but it would be a buggy mess. )

In truth I can see them doing one or two every month, but once a week would be cutting it close. ( and it would be buggy )
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
One of the major problems this game has is that 90-95% of the static systems have nothing in them (i.e no planetary surface or mission.) As I was thinking about this yesterday, I came up with an idea that may help people feel like their galaxy is getting more filled out than the C-store, and that idea is Planet of the Week.

The idea is, every week Cryptic picks one of the static systems that has not been fleshed out with anything, and adds something to it, most preferably a ground environment and a short mission relating specifically to that planet.

Next, since this is space and we're supposed to explore, we make the Planet of the Week something of a treasure hunt. Cryptic will say the planet is up and give a couple hints about who to talk to or where to go to find this system. Those players that do find it before the next Planet of the Week, get an accolade and occasionally, a nice piece of gear. Those who don't, stumble across it of their own accord sometime later and find something to do. Win win.

Thoughts?
I must both disagree, agree, and tell you to read.

First my "you should read" point. Cryptic already stated they will be releasing weekly episodes (missions). In other words they are trying to make this more like the TV shows by having a new episode each week. I think that's a great idea.

Second I agree because we do need more ground environments and more things to do there. Weekly updates to theses is a little extensive. Its too much work and pressure for the devs. Maybe bi-weekly or tri-weekly. Monthly is even fine with me. Heck I'll settle for one update that fleshes out Risa so its a fun place to hang out. Then another update for Vulcan, etc.

Third I disagree on your exploration suggestion. That really isn't exploration, its a scavenger hunt, and frankly I wouldn't go crazy looking for the planet. Plus as soon as someone else finds it they'll just post it on the board which means half of the community will go look at that post, or ask the question "where is this week's planet" get an answer and go directly there.

If actual exploration is implemented in game, not like what we have now. It should be a whole new sector with random events that occur during travel (anomalies causing problems, random alien species attacking, etc.) and a chance to discover and explore a new planet/system, see a supernova, etc.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-04-2010, 10:32 AM
agreed, more maps on existing planets.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
it could be genesis generated. but there is one major problem. (CBS ) if you were going to flesh out the main planets, every map would have to be ran by CBS. once a week most likely would not work. if they used the genesis system, they would run in to times when CBS did not like it, ( and the map would be scraped ) or they can make it themselves to what CBS says, and it would take longer then a week. ( you mite be able to do it, and a mission in a week, but it would be a buggy mess. )

In truth I can see them doing one or two every month, but once a week would be cutting it close. ( and it would be buggy )
That's a poor excuse. I can't imagine CBS needs to micromanage it to that degree, and even if they do, then you start by picking the planets that have little to no mention in canon that can be approved for almost any design and work your way back towards planets like Earth that have lots of canon info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
I must both disagree, agree, and tell you to read.

First my "you should read" point. Cryptic already stated they will be releasing weekly episodes (missions). In other words they are trying to make this more like the TV shows by having a new episode each week. I think that's a great idea.

Second I agree because we do need more ground environments and more things to do there. Weekly updates to theses is a little extensive. Its too much work and pressure for the devs. Maybe bi-weekly or tri-weekly. Monthly is even fine with me. Heck I'll settle for one update that fleshes out Risa so its a fun place to hang out. Then another update for Vulcan, etc.

Third I disagree on your exploration suggestion. That really isn't exploration, its a scavenger hunt, and frankly I wouldn't go crazy looking for the planet. Plus as soon as someone else finds it they'll just post it on the board which means half of the community will go look at that post, or ask the question "where is this week's planet" get an answer and go directly there.

If actual exploration is implemented in game, not like what we have now. It should be a whole new sector with random events that occur during travel (anomalies causing problems, random alien species attacking, etc.) and a chance to discover and explore a new planet/system, see a supernova, etc.
I'm aware of thee weekly episode thing. Weekly episode missions <> fleshing out the universe. The problem is that every place you go is empty, making it a very boring galaxy.

Secondly, they have the Genesis system for that. Supposedly that allows for extremely rapid development. I personally think it should be more like two or three times a week considering how tiny and empty their ground environments are as it is, but I recognize they clearly do not have the resources for that.

Third, that was mostly metaphor. I agree it's not really exploration per say, but it's better than just being like "here's the new planet, go visit it", which results in all of ten minutes of game time since you're just going to go, look, and leave. I also want them to start doing real exploration, but that's setting expectations a bit too high.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
06-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
That's a sad fact. I can't believe CBS needs to micromanage it to that degree, and yet they do, then you start by picking the planets that have little to no mention in canon that can be approved for almost any design and work your way back towards planets like Earth that have lots of canon info.
Fixed it for you.

it is a fact that they have to check everything with CBS. ( look at the nomad class, it was redesigned because CBS did not like the first version of it, and that pushed it release back a few weeks. ) you can stick your head in the sand or you can look at reason. even if they start with the unknown planets on the map they would still have to send it to CBS because the approved that planet in the first place. add in the time to make the quest, map, have CBS approve it, and test it. ( unless you want total junk ) your going to need more then a week.

and just because it is fact doesn't mean we have to like it, but that is a fact that is most likely not going to change. that is one of the problems with making a game on an established franchise. the owner of the franchise has a lot of say over it. ( SWG NGE was Lucas arts wanting to make more money by making it like WOW, sure they did not make the game, but they told SOE to change it, and they did. it's a sad fact of life )
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
06-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
I'm aware of thee weekly episode thing. Weekly episode missions <> fleshing out the universe. The problem is that every place you go is empty, making it a very boring galaxy.
I'm not denying that. We do need more content in the various systems, but a weekly update for different planets is way too much work for them and I wouldn't expect it. I'd rather one update at a time, each which fixes currently visitable planets, then begin work on other planets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
Secondly, they have the Genesis system for that. Supposedly that allows for extremely rapid development. I personally think it should be more like two or three times a week considering how tiny and empty their ground environments are as it is, but I recognize they clearly do not have the resources for that.
Last I heard the Genesis system wasn't working correctly and that is why it isn't implemented in game. The exploration missions are just a tiny example of what that system can do. Supposedly it can create entire systems, planets, missions, etc. very quickly. I'm sure eventually it will be implemented but I think right now they are focusing on other more important stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
Third, that was mostly metaphor. I agree it's not really exploration per say, but it's better than just being like "here's the new planet, go visit it", which results in all of ten minutes of game time since you're just going to go, look, and leave. I also want them to start doing real exploration, but that's setting expectations a bit too high.
I understand where you are coming from. I just think the hassle of searching for the new planet isn't worth the reward of beaming down, checking out what they have, and leaving. I'd rather them tell me, here's a new planet/updated planet. That's just my opinion though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
06-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Sorry to jump in the middle of the argument-
My figure was that we all thought when we saw certain planets and accompanying races in the game, youd actually get to do things atleast on those planets. Turns out not only can you not do much of anything on those planets, but theres actually not much of anything there, if you're able to beam down at all.

This is why Ive called for in several other threads this very thing, fleshing out the existing homeworlds.
You have 8 races in the factions already, you can visit two of their homeworlds, both are basicly empty yet off to a good start. No cities and very little if any playable content. Maybe fleshing out all 8 homeworlds soon isnt a realistic option, but several key planets in both territories should be.

We have two command centers, one for each faction which are basicly done or atleast one of them is. If we got atleast 2 more planets, or 3-4 if that many is possible, thats two command centers and 3 to 4 explorables/quest and social hubs between both factions for everyone. Because of that, I dont see the point of creating another faction, nor mapping out every instanced explored system if the two very large faction territories arent really completed as we speak.

So the problem goes, we can all sit here and ask the developers for 50 million different things that continuously happens here on a dialy basis, or we can all agree that one direction at a time is the only way to go, maybe not my direction, but one direction at most, atleast for the good of the game and its life duration.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03 AM.