Lt. Commander
# 11
06-08-2010, 08:19 AM
I like the current Battlegroup Omega music already.

I think it would be cool if visiting DS9 for the first time would play the DS9 theme. And maybe entering Gamma Orionis sector space could trigger Voyagers theme. (Or maybe we reserve this for a real excursion to the Delta quadrant or Fluid Space)
It could even be a video done with the game engine. (It should both be replayable and cancellabe. I hate mandatory videos as much as I hate videos I can never see again.)

I think picking a few key Startrek themes could enhance the game a lot. It's probably not easy to get all themes for various reasons, but a little more would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Poll Completed, I dont see how the poll could affact the development of the game if it was part of that.

PRetty quick and simple poll.
Lt. Commander
I have located a public access terminal in a bar on Drozani Station, allowing me to recieve the transmission, I have encoded the data and will be sending the information back to you on an encrypted signal, which will be piggy backing a chronometric carrier wave from the stations auxilairy sensor systems.

The music in this bar is terrible and the Juke box is never online, the computer systems couldn't tell the difference between Klingon Opera and a Vulcan Orchestra. I have to go now, need to meet up with a frieghter Captain, he's an old friend and he's promissed to allocate me crew quarters for the next 26 hours.

P.S. I completely agree with Z3R0B4NG.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Much of STOs music just isn't quite there. It doesn't get across the grand nature of most ST scores...and the harpsichord music with the guy moaning is completely out of character for ST. It is so ridiculous that I bust out laughing every time I hear it. Sounds like the guy has an upset stomach.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post

I think it would be cool if visiting DS9 for the first time would play the DS9 theme.
It does.

I think it plays most everytime you warp in. This is outside the station, not inside.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-08-2010, 11:01 AM
It's a weird poll. I think music is important to games but not THAT important. To put in better terms, I find that good music is not as beneficial in magnitude to a good game as bad music is detrimental to an average game.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDestra
Hey All,

One of our community members is doing their graduate thesis on music in video games, and asked us if we could run a poll as part of their research.

Below you'll find the poll - keep in mind that this is for academic research only, and is totally separate from the development of the game.

http://www.startrekonline.com/music_poll

Thanks!
Music is very important in video games. It can really enhance the flavor of the game or gaming experience. One thing STO can definitely improve upon is the music. I feel like I'm listening to the same two-three tracks over and over again and it makes the gaming experience flat. There needs to be a lot more music and it certainly would improve the gaming experience if I'm not listening to the same track on every exploration mission, away mission, and battles. If there's no variety, you start to loathe it and get annoyed at the experience. And what is up with the music player/jukebox? Does that thing even work? And if it does how many tracks does it play? 2? 3?

Cryptic... please please please improve the music along with everything else in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I'll be honest- I listen to music in games until it becomes repetitive (which is usually not long), then I mute it and run iTunes in the background.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Klingon (war)songs, by the way, would also be awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I've often wished we could use the ST Original music for hand-to-hand combat. It's just not quite the same if you're brawling with a bunch of Nausicaans or whomever if you don't have the 'Kirk delivers yet another double-handed chop to the back of some alien' music going.