Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
Ok over at syfy wire, they posted a pic of the 1st private owned space station. Not a drawing, but the real deal. No it's not in space yet, but I have one question. Will there be company paid crews working the place. Maybe this it the real 1st steps to getting the common man into space.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/this-is...e-worlds-f.php
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-08-2010, 04:52 AM
I'd kill to be on the first visiting flight
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-08-2010, 05:12 AM
Well find out what countries are signed up on the list, then get your name on it, then get ready for space flight. lol
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-08-2010, 05:35 AM
So help me if I see a Conch Republic space agency on that list I am totally retaking that island of Tax-Evaders, selling it back to Uncle Sam then using the profits from their agency to fund my own trip. Heck, I already had an army ready to roll them circa 2004... lousy beach hippies...
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Well that's the plan, not about what your talking about lol, but about letting countries with small budgets get into space.

Hmmm I wonder if we will see terror groups signing on to this plan. lol JK I don't see that happening, but you will give countries like South Africa a chances to get into space, and do projects they want to do. I am just wondering how long until we see space mining operations begin, there is a ton of resources to be gained out there, and they could help to stop any huge meteors from coming this way.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-08-2010, 06:05 AM
Yes, because that worked so great the first time.In theory, yeah... in practice, just ask the fine people of Beunos Aries!

I SAY KILL THEM KILL THEM ALL!

*Ahem* Seriously now, this is either a huge step in maned space travel/life or just a flash in the pan just like so many other projects. I will admit Spaceship One did give me a huge feeling of enthusiasm when it won the X-prize. I dunno, I kinda get a feeling of failure on this one despite wanting to be very optimistic.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-08-2010, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Cedric View Post
I am just wondering how long until we see space mining operations begin, there is a ton of resources to be gained out there, and they could help to stop any huge meteors from coming this way.
probably centuries away. sticking a space station in orbit is childs play compared to actually getting to an asteroid belt, mining it and bring home the bacon.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
probably centuries away. sticking a space station in orbit is childs play compared to actually getting to an asteroid belt, mining it and bring home the bacon.
And putting a man in orbit is child's play compared to sticking a space station in orbit, yet we went from the former to the latter in less than forty years.

So I wouldn't say centuries. I'd give us another ten years to successfully reach the asteroid belt and bring that same vessel back to Earth. Ion engines are going to make this much easier than it used to be. After that, it's a matter of 1) locating what we need in the asteroid belt, which will take quite a bit of time... probably another ten years, 2) finding a way to set up a mining station on the asteroid(s), which will take another ten, and 3) finding a cost-effective and time-efficient way to bring the ore back to Earth, which will probably take another five to ten.

So, 40-50 years or so from now, we may have it up and running.

Worst case scenario, a century.

But not centuries, plural.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Well what you need for a low cost mining operation is this.

1. Robot scanners to locate the minerals you need. ( This isn't to far off the mark, cause we use low tech detectors on Earth now. )

2. Setup a base of operations to over see the project, and give the workers a place to call home. ( Again not a huge issue, we could send an unmaned rocket witht he base mode to a close location, then a manned flight would go ahead of the main flight to get the station up and running.)

3. Setup of a forge base close to the main base. ( This would be sent again as an unmanned mod, and the workers from the base setup would head there next, and get the forge base up and working. )

4. Main OPS manned flight. ( This would be the main workers and over seeers of the operation, and they would bring the last of the gear needed to get the operation up to 100% operation.)

5. Freighter fleet to shuttle the resourses. ( This can be manned or unmanned flights, and it would shuttle the mined resources from location A, the mining site, to location B, a spacestation in orbit around earth. There the resources can be made ready to send down to a location on earth, maybe a water site with a ship recovery.

I will add you can even have robot remotes starting to tap into a few rocks, and getting samples of what is there, while the operation base is getting set up.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Another person with no concept of how big space actually is.

It'd take about six months to fly from one asteroid to another in our asteroid belt. You make it sound like the miners would have a thirty minute commute from their base of operations to the mine itself.

Furthermore, when I say we'd need to first find what we need, I mean not every asteroid will have the exact elements we want to mine, and we'd probably be able to feasibly scan maybe one asteroid every few months. Maybe.

That's in a belt of millions of asteroids.

You do the math.