Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-08-2010, 07:13 AM
6 months might be a bit of an exaggeration, given that a decent ion/plasma drive in the kilo watt range will be able to produce about a G of acceleration (least that is what i have read) which would get us to mars in only 66 days.

However, it does not look like the Sci fi asteroid belts, it is very very sparse by comparison.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
6 months might be a bit of an exaggeration, given that a decent ion/plasma drive in the kilo watt range will be able to produce about a G of acceleration (least that is what i have read) which would get us to mars in only 66 days.

However, it does not look like the Sci fi asteroid belts, it is very very sparse by comparison.
Believe it or not, the distance between Earth and Mars is similar to the distance between two asteroids in the asteroid belt, if not shorter.

Earth and Mars are, astronomically speaking, very close to one another.

So six months may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it would take at least a couple of months. In any case, it's not a day trip.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Yes, sorry, was trying to agree with your general point.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Well that's why you need the robot probers, they will give you the heads up which rocks have the good stuff, and which ones have average stuff. The base camp is always needed as a enter piece when doing this type of work, and you give the workers a place to return too. Sure it would take months at currewnt tech, but who said this would be current tech at this point of mining. Even if it was cut down to 3 months of travel time, you still need a base camp to return to after the work is done.

I see the robots doing the main work, and people sitting back in the base, or even in POD worker ships. You wouldn't see many space walks to do the work, but they would only be needed for hands on type of work. One's that robots wouldn't or couldn't do.

Yes space is huge, but our part of it isn't that huge. Once we cut the travel times down from current levels, I can see more private companies thinking openside the box, and setting their sites for higher grounds.

Yeck how long after we start with the private space flights, will we see airlines looking to get space planes? Then after that how long until we see cruise trips going around the moon and back? Then after that a trip to Mars and beyond?

You took the baby steps, now I say it's time to start walking, then the slow jog, and finially a fast sprint.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
Yes, sorry, was trying to agree with your general point.
Yeah I got that. I like to pick nits, though. It's a thing that I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Cedric View Post
Well that's why you need the robot probers, they will give you the heads up which rocks have the good stuff, and which ones have average stuff. The base camp is always needed as a enter piece when doing this type of work, and you give the workers a place to return too. Sure it would take months at currewnt tech, but who said this would be current tech at this point of mining. Even if it was cut down to 3 months of travel time, you still need a base camp to return to after the work is done.

I see the robots doing the main work, and people sitting back in the base, or even in POD worker ships. You wouldn't see many space walks to do the work, but they would only be needed for hands on type of work. One's that robots wouldn't or couldn't do.

Yes space is huge, but our part of it isn't that huge. Once we cut the travel times down from current levels, I can see more private companies thinking openside the box, and setting their sites for higher grounds.

Yeck how long after we start with the private space flights, will we see airlines looking to get space planes? Then after that how long until we see cruise trips going around the moon and back? Then after that a trip to Mars and beyond?

You took the baby steps, now I say it's time to start walking, then the slow jog, and finially a fast sprint.
Agreed on the point that at this point tech will have improved, so you could be right, who knows.

I can only hope it'll happen in my lifetime.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
And putting a man in orbit is child's play compared to sticking a space station in orbit, yet we went from the former to the latter in less than forty years.

So I wouldn't say centuries. I'd give us another ten years to successfully reach the asteroid belt and bring that same vessel back to Earth. Ion engines are going to make this much easier than it used to be. After that, it's a matter of 1) locating what we need in the asteroid belt, which will take quite a bit of time... probably another ten years, 2) finding a way to set up a mining station on the asteroid(s), which will take another ten, and 3) finding a cost-effective and time-efficient way to bring the ore back to Earth, which will probably take another five to ten.

So, 40-50 years or so from now, we may have it up and running.

Worst case scenario, a century.

But not centuries, plural.
can say i agree with any of that but it would be nice if your right
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
can say i agree with any of that but it would be nice if your right
I really hope I am.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-08-2010, 08:01 AM
I always said Starbases should be phased in!