Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkameron View Post
I agree that the system of taking points and what the progress is on the point could be a LOT clearer. Perhaps with a little timer bar above the faction symbol.
And I won't even bring up the "common" mmo.. almsot every game I have played CnH including non MMO's have a progress bar of some sort. So I concur to your comment!
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-09-2010, 06:48 AM
The only thing that really bothers me about Salvage Op is when it sometimes degrades into a kind of "Musical Badges" type scenario.

The match is designed as a Capture and Hold game, and is most effectively won when a team does exactly that.

Just my opinion, but I've always thought that the best strategy for Salvage Op. was to capture the 3 positions nearest each other and then spend the rest of the match defending those positions.

For the red team that would mean grabbing the Asteroid Refinery, the Wrecked Shipyard and the Destroyed Station in the center. For the blue team just substitute the Astrogeology Lab for the Refinery.

Played that way, the incentive is to battle it out with the other team over the "third badge". If one team has 3 the other can only have two.

Granted, when playing with pick up groups (as I most often do), it's often difficult to come up with even that degreee of coordination. But I do often wonder why so many people seem to fly straight for the badge "in the cloud", it's the most isolated and therefore most difficult to defend.

And I do think it's about time we saw some new PvP maps. Seems the only two anyone wants to play are Salvage Op and Cracked Planetoid. Anyone else's graphics card have a tough time with Solar Wind?
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeLund
Anyone else's graphics card have a tough time with Solar Wind?
I don't queue that one for that reason.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeLund
Anyone else's graphics card have a tough time with Solar Wind?
No, but the howling sound annoys the heck out of me and for that reason I don't queue for it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Part of it is the scoring, I've done it a million times and think I know how it works. I do not believe it takes a solid color to score, Ive seen two solids score nothing while 3 stripes did score. I think solid just indicates you have it as much as you can and will take a while to lose, stripes mean you have it but could lose it quickly. It should be more clear because thats just what I think is going on, I could well be totally wrong.

Second is people get tunnel vision on the super tanks and the team just follows a heal spammer out into the abyss. tons of times I fly around the entire map looking for teammates only to see them all off in the nowhere in a never ending fight. When on my whale half the time my goal is to get as many people as I can to follow me to where I want them to go.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
I agree that the system of taking points and what the progress is on the point could be a LOT clearer. Perhaps with a little timer bar above the faction symbol.
Yeah, I think each point should be represented in a pie-graph like display like this. A HUD window would contain 5 of these pie graphs, one per point. And each graph for a point is a progress bar split in half. Red progress on left, blue on right, and once you fill half the bar the color changes from white-blue or white-red to the solid color, and the center becomes a solid color on the marker.

Or put a 2D representation of the same graph/marker over the cap point to let you see it from afar.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambience View Post
Yeah, I think each point should be represented in a pie-graph like display like this. A HUD window would contain 5 of these pie graphs, one per point. And each graph for a point is a progress bar split in half. Red progress on left, blue on right, and once you fill half the bar the color changes from white-blue or white-red to the solid color, and the center becomes a solid color on the marker.

Or put a 2D representation of the same graph/marker over the cap point to let you see it from afar.
Is it wrong that it makes me fuzzy inside that you bothered to spend about 20 minutes on MS paint making those lol
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Is it wrong that it makes me fuzzy inside that you bothered to spend about 20 minutes on MS paint making those lol
he could have done it in 2 minutes?^^ but although i don't think it makes it clearer for me - thx ambience
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Excel actually lol. Paint would have taken too long. I just popped in 8 cells with 45 inside and then plotted a pie chart like that and then changed the colors and titles on 5 copies of the chart.

The other alternative is a bar like this:

Neutral:
##########

Red Capping/losing (100% on left, 0 on right)
##########

Blue Capping (100% on right, 0 on left):
##########

Red Control:
##########

Blue Control:
##########
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Wow, and I would look incompetend or newbish when I admitted I had trouble understanding the flags.

Seems I am not alone.